hickstick 19-Feb-24
Deerdawg 20-Feb-24
Huntskifishcook 21-Feb-24
spike78 21-Feb-24
Ungie01201 21-Feb-24
Tmachado37 21-Feb-24
Tmachado37 21-Feb-24
18-Feb-24
Well I had fallen into the trap of the cell camera last year, actually got me a couple deer but still a step behind. Was listening to a podcast with mark drury on it how he logs all info, I have successfully completed logging all data from both 2022 and 2023 cell camera cards. Absolutely blew my mind how in most spots (I had 9 cell cameras) the dates and times for deer being consistent almost matched between the two years. Next step is to take all that and add wind direction to those dates and see if that made any difference on these small parcels of woods. Might have a problem but it gives me something to do in a winter morning when I’m awake at 5am trying to be quiet while the 3 women in my house sleep until 10am. Thinking I’m gonna run cell cams off of fixed stand locations this year and put my regular cameras on video mode on the mock scrapes just to soak for the year. Goal would be to be there when the bucks show, not the day after which my pictures proved to me even though I told myself I wouldn’t, many pictures of me hunting a stand 12 hours after a buck picture. But will run the cell cameras for good conversation with my dad during the season and maybe throw a hunt in a different place with the saddle if something surprises me, Time to change! Anyone logging camera data like this? Seeing any surprises?

18-Feb-24
Well I had fallen into the trap of the cell camera last year, actually got me a couple deer but still a step behind. Was listening to a podcast with mark drury on it how he logs all info, I have successfully completed logging all data from both 2022 and 2023 cell camera cards. Absolutely blew my mind how in most spots (I had 9 cell cameras) the dates and times for deer being consistent almost matched between the two years. Next step is to take all that and add wind direction to those dates and see if that made any difference on these small parcels of woods. Might have a problem but it gives me something to do in a winter morning when I’m awake at 5am trying to be quiet while the 3 women in my house sleep until 10am. Thinking I’m gonna run cell cams off of fixed stand locations this year and put my regular cameras on video mode on the mock scrapes just to soak for the year. Goal would be to be there when the bucks show, not the day after which my pictures proved to me even though I told myself I wouldn’t, many pictures of me hunting a stand 12 hours after a buck picture. But will run the cell cameras for good conversation with my dad during the season and maybe throw a hunt in a different place with the saddle if something surprises me, Time to change! Anyone logging camera data like this? Seeing any surprises?

18-Feb-24
Tm, I set set out my 2 cams in Aug. I'm just not into cam usage but, in truth, have taken deer based on cam info. ;so I probably should own another cam or two and move into the 21st century. Enjoy correlating and using your info. Seems as though mature bucks show up at certain spots the approx. same time every year. Being there is the challenge.

18-Feb-24
Very insightful to use the cameras to get an observation about your own behavior in response to the cameras. Pretty interesting, kind of circular.

18-Feb-24
Yup. Did it before I left for Hawaii. Didn’t notice anything that translated to a pattern. Logged moon, pressure,wind, temp, weather.

18-Feb-24
Yup one thing I noticed consistently is that I had great activity 2 days before a storm but no activity the day before a storm. Probably explains why I never saw crap a day before a storm thinking it was the best day to be out. My theory is that deer will feed heavily 2 days before then move to thicker canopy cover the day before the storm.

18-Feb-24
Interesting thought there spike. I have similarly thinking along the same lines.

18-Feb-24
Deer will also move the day before. And during the day as well. I experienced it this year in NY tracking during a storm late season. Me and my brother each did 8 miles. I jumped 2 bedded but cut tracks and tracked 4 others. Never did find a buck. But the 4 other were all up movin and eatin it was snowin like a bastard and windy. Last week I listened to an adirondacks podcast with Pat Guyette from I think last year and his guest said the same thing, snowy windy days are killin days. The deer are movin no doubt. Don’t not hunt cuz it’s a storm. Unless it’s unsafe to do so.

18-Feb-24
Hmmm. Interesting Spike. I have often wondered why I don’t see squat the day before a good storm. You have me thinking…

18-Feb-24
When the barometric pressure changes they are aware of it but they can't know anything about the future without a physical change ...or watching the weather chanel.

19-Feb-24
Biggest thing I took away is for anyone hunting scrapes is November is too late. That sweet spot for them actually coming right into the scrape’s consistently was that October 22nd-29 on my mocks after that they are still passing by but aren’t as engaged with the scrape. The actual hottest time I had for the mock scrapes and bucks was like September 15th-30th but ya nothing we can do about that

19-Feb-24
I've seen deer feeding up shortly before a storm especially on a choice food source i.e. early season apples. After a fall storm (snow), in late pre rut especially, I see some of the best movement. Perhaps a combo of ( a few estrus ?) does along with bucks looking for does and uncovering scrapes. I had a few crazy mornings under those conditions.

19-Feb-24
So what we gain from this thread is : deer feed 2 days prior to storm : deer feed 1 day prior to storm : deer feed during storm : deer feed 1 day after storm. What we learned : deer eat

19-Feb-24
You learned BD doesn't know JACK... LOL

19-Feb-24
If you do know Jack, don't say hi in a plane.

There is clear evidence that animals have extraordinary senses. Noise we don't hear , light we don't see, air pressure that we don't feel. Maybe more, but there is always a real stimulus. Does it cause them to do something? Yes. Does that change things , yes. Will they still be someplace ? Yes.

19-Feb-24
have you guys ever looked at the PA radio collar studies? its amazing how consistent they can be year over year.

my use of cameras has slowly dwindled over the last 24 years. I didn't put any out last year. since I'm generally hunting the same spots year over year...I pretty much have the patterns down, I just use them now as a survey of what deer are in the area.

20-Feb-24
i know Jack , he's my grand son. Deer are like us, creatures of habit, curiosity, and instinct, much better senses but a smaller brain. They need to eat, sleep every day, breed seasonally to survive. at this time of year they herd up and move to were people feed them, making the rounds. They recently left my hood for better treats, they will be back. other than browse, there is little in the woods to sustain. Hope for another mild winter! I set out a camera last week with some corn and within two hour 7 deer hammered it. Jumped another 5 in different spot retrieving camera. They are hungry.

21-Feb-24
Tmach, did you notice a greater frequency of scrape activity in the morning or evening? I love hunting the rough date range you mention to target scrapes, but if the location is accessible both morning and evening I've never been sure of the most productive time of the day to hunt them.

21-Feb-24
Just got a bunch of deer pics this morning two days before whatever is gonna happen Friday.

21-Feb-24
I have a couple of spots that each year within a couple of days, a big buck comes by every year during shooting light. I have kept the cam pics (both reg & cell) over the years.

21-Feb-24
Hunt ski, all depending on the spot. I have morning and afternoon spots set up so they are usually only there on one or the other. Seems like in the mornings they are closer to dawn where in the afternoon spots in those magic 7-10 days they get up a few hours before dark. But I believe it’s all in the spot on the time they hit it. Closer to food, more likely dawn and dusk, deeper in the thick, can get them more in sunlight

21-Feb-24
Hunt ski, all depending on the spot. I have morning and afternoon spots set up so they are usually only there on one or the other. Seems like in the mornings they are closer to dawn where in the afternoon spots in those magic 7-10 days they get up a few hours before dark. But I believe it’s all in the spot on the time they hit it. Closer to food, more likely dawn and dusk, deeper in the thick, can get them more in sunlight

• Sitka Gear