Trebarker 20-Mar-24
Two dogs mobile 21-Mar-24
Two dogs mobile 27-Mar-24
Slate 27-Mar-24
NCK 27-Mar-24
Thornton 28-Mar-24
Trebarker 15-Apr-24
19-Feb-24
Driving in to work this morning I past a cut field that often has deer in it, this time more than usual and at least two were bucks still packing both sides. Isn't it kinda late for that?

19-Feb-24
I saw 2 today that still had both sides.

19-Feb-24
Had a bunch of pictures and videos of bucks still horned up. Also had video and pictures of bald headed bucks fighting those with horns.

19-Feb-24
We found 3 small ones this weekend

19-Feb-24
A few years ago, I left (7) trail cameras up until May over a very large spread out acreage and that particular year about 40% of the bucks (very few repeats) on camera were carrying both sides thru early-mid April.

19-Feb-24
They sometimes carry into April. If I have an area don't think anyone else is hunting, I'll wait until March to shed hunt

19-Feb-24
I walked the open areas of 6 farms last Tues, mainly pulling cards, no sheds and majority on "film" still carrying both sides.

19-Feb-24
We’ve found 16 so far, several are still carrying on our place tho according to camera.

20-Feb-24

Trebarker's embedded Photo
He was chasing does a little later
He was chasing does a little later
A larger buck that had shed along with one that lost half his rack chasing does around earlier in the month
A larger buck that had shed along with one that lost half his rack chasing does around earlier in the month
The pictures I mentioned above.

20-Feb-24
Same as said above, I've found four antlers in a bare field recently, but don't do any walking for at least another month. The last two would fit the palm of my hand at the same time!

20-Feb-24
The neighbor told me he has found a few while checking fences . I usually find most in turkey season.

20-Feb-24
Always found it interesting that I almost never find shed while mushroom hunting. I find some sheds, and I find some morels, but never on the same walk.

20-Feb-24
Still have a lot holding. Usually until mid March for the area I hunt.

20-Feb-24
I have found six drops so far while getting my stands summarized, with a minimum amount of looking. My Brittany found two of them. She found the two on the tenth. I live in a little unincorporated community with about 10 homes. On the 13th I let my Brittany out to take care of her morning business. When I let her back in she brought in a drop. I assume she got it frome one of the neighbors yard.

I am still seeing bucks carrying, and have always felt if I look for drops before March I am not going to find a pretty high percentage of them.

One year in early April I saw a group of four bucks. One still had both sides, one had one side, one had new nubs that were barely visible, and one had new growth that was easy to see. Not all bucks shed at the same time. It is a 3 or so month process.

20-Feb-24

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Not a shed, but a cool old buck none the less. Skull is huge, teeth flat, he was an old fella

20-Feb-24
Still have 50% carrying at least one side

20-Feb-24
I had a nice one run in front of me Sunday evening still packing both sides.

21-Feb-24
We do not even look for sheds till the end of March. Find a few before that but the majority are found in April.

29-Feb-24
I’ve seen 150”+ deer packing well into March.

I’ll never forget the day I was hunting turkeys and had 3 bucks come by in velvet, one was past his ears already, on the way out I ran into a yearling still packing both sides.

01-Mar-24

Two dogs mobile's embedded Photo
 Two dogs mobile's embedded Photo
Here is a picture from 2-23 this year. There are at least 4 bucks in this picture. One has obviously shed and three are still carrying. I know there were at least 8 deer there from another picture. I don't know what the other four were. It is an indication that a good percentage of bucks are still carrying this time of year.

01-Mar-24
Hearing from my area some guys think most have dropped. Who knows. I've been waiting patiently but my brother and I are going out Saturday.

01-Mar-24
Same every year. Some drop early some drop late. Its like the rut, it never changes.

01-Mar-24
Gonna get back after it some tomorrow after pruning some fruit trees on the property.

04-Mar-24
Brother and I walked 2 properties and found 2 four point sides. Nothing big. My brother has never been down to see my hunting spots so it was cool finally showing him all of that.

04-Mar-24
I did a little work on stands this weekend and while there I did a little bit of shed hunting. On Saturday my Brittany brought me a nice shed. I saw her coming my direction from about 100yds. She was bringing a nice five point side. On Sunday we went again. I shut her out 4 to nothing. She was finding the remains of 4 or 5 different deer and seemed more interested in the remains than finding sheds. I am curious about the remains, as seems strange for that many to be on the 120 acres.

04-Mar-24
Jethro’s dump site?

18-Mar-24

18-Mar-24
I went back to the same property on Thursday evening and found four more sheds. One was laying in the field and was not there 10 days earlier. I also found the skeleton of a nice buck down on a gravel bar by the creek. I did not go down the steep bank to get a close look at it. I may see about a salvage tag or I may just leave it.

18-Mar-24
Lee that’s troubling to be finding that many dead deer. Especially like you said on a property that size. Which area of the state are you located if you don’t mind me asking?

20-Mar-24

Went and looked again Saturday and checked my cameras. Dinks are still horned up, checking scrapes and licking branches, chasing last year's doe fawns around. On the cameras, 80-90% of the bucks had shed.

21-Mar-24
This is in Chase County between Emporia and El Dorado. I will say that there is an excess number of deer in that part of the county. Obviously, deer die due to a number of reasons. It is possible that some of the weaker simply did not survive the cold snap in January. I also know coyotes killed a fawn in November. It could be that the pack that did that might have made a habit of it.

27-Mar-24
I took a little drive yesterday evening, I saw a small buck still carrying both sides. There was a larger bodied buck with him that had shed.

27-Mar-24

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
My wife had fun looking. She found a couple. Still have a few holding

27-Mar-24
She looks a lot taller than you. Does she have to lean down to kiss you?

28-Mar-24
Two dogs mobile- Id have to disagree there are an excess of deer in that part of the country. My hundreds of miles of driving and flying indicate there aren't near as many as there have been.

15-Apr-24

Trail cameras showed at least two were still sporting polished horns last and this month.

• Sitka Gear