Thornton 05-Mar-24
Slate 05-Mar-24
Trebarker 05-Mar-24
cherney12 06-Mar-24
keepemsharp 07-Mar-24
AaronShort 08-Mar-24
MDW 15-Mar-24
21-Feb-24
Message I received about the hearing this week on Corbet’s t-tag bill.

“Corbet passed out of committee today 2672, amended it for a max of 2 tags per landowner. This has a potential for 170,000 any whitetail tags, which would be a 50% increase. Secretary Loveless stated that would cause the agency to no longer issue any other tags, including resident over the counter tags. The only way anyone could get a tag to deer hunt in Kansas is buying a landowner tag if this advances and is eventually passed. Made the first step by getting out of committee.”

21-Feb-24
Insane. Can't see that ever passing.

21-Feb-24
Assuming these would be transferable so landowners could sell them to residents and NR's? This really made it out of committee?

21-Feb-24
Another question; it's "2 tags per land owner", or 2 tags per family member? Could dude get 2 tags, his wife get 2 tags, and his two sons get 2 tags each?

And one more question; since this made it out of committee what's the email list of people we need to contact to voice our concern? Is it the same list posted in other threads or does it go on to other people?

21-Feb-24
And while you’re answering Cat’s question can you check to see if has an acreage requirement on it? Before it was amended wasn’t it 80 acres per tag? Yep not good.

21-Feb-24
Rep Blex told me he was going to amend it so that the tags were antlerless only, just to stick it to Corbet. But Corbet is throwing everything at the wall hoping something will get overlooked and stick. 60 bills will be brought up for vote in the next 2 days.

21-Feb-24
What the hell is Corbet’s deal? It’s like he’s trying to ruin the hunting intentionally. Unbelievable!

21-Feb-24
That guy needs punched in the face!!!

21-Feb-24
He's trying to hide shit, they're going to have to be diligent going through these bills...as they should.

21-Feb-24

21-Feb-24
Sito..." they're going to have to be diligent going through these bills...as they should." doesn't happen. They have so many pages to each bill there is no way they go through each bill as they should. Most will vote with the majority. The only hope we have is folks pointing out the issues to their reps.

My rep is Corbet. Who has never received my vote. He needs to go!

21-Feb-24

cherney12's embedded Photo
cherney12's embedded Photo

21-Feb-24
FREE Transferable Tags up to 10 tags if you own 800 acres!!!! What a crock

21-Feb-24
Cat, in the original bill verbiage it states one tag would be allotted for every 80 acres owned up to a total of 10. That didn’t fly I guess so now it’s “up to” 2 tags per qualifying landowner. And the tag would be good for all the acreage submitted in the allocation process. If you have a pile of acres and put family member’s names on a couple each I’m sure you could get away with what you’re talking about. In the proposal there is zero mention of dollars paid to the department by landowners or hunter. Tags are free to qualifying landowners, and you “may not sell” the tags. Money would change hands based on access. A contiguous 2,000 acre ranch with one tag would probably bring a damn good five-digit lease. As with any of Corbet’s stuff there’s 1,000 holes and shit that hasn’t crossed his mind I’m sure. If this did happen to play out what’s the point of outfitters? Hunters could buy their access, tag comes with, and it’s only good for those acres. I don’t see the need for outfitters at that point. A broker or someone of the sort could put hunters in contact with available acreages. I suppose they could still lease and funnel the tags to their hunters, but smart landowners would just cut out the middle man.

As to what’s next I’m not terribly familiar with the process. Jason W or someone else might be better help. I assume a house vote, so your local reps might be the route now?

21-Feb-24
[email protected]

Majority Leader Croft,

I am writing to strongly encourage you to not allow a floor vote on HB 2672. This bill is a blatant conflict of interest and an open attempt by several representatives to pad their own pockets on the premise of "landowner appreciation". This bill would be crippling to the KDWP and any future attempts to properly manage the Kansas deer herd and maintain the health of the resource for future generations of Kansans. If you have any questions about my opposition to this, please reach out and I'll explain further. Thank you for your consideration and service.

Regards,

Patrick Cherney

21-Feb-24
Seems like if Corbet introduces enough bills that are excessively bad, he's trying to either 1: sneak something through, or 2: get enough lawmakers to "settle" with a bill that is still bad, though not as excessive.

21-Feb-24
Is there a way to see who on the committee voted either yay or nay?

21-Feb-24
I called and was told by Carlins staffer that 4 were in favor and 4 against with Corbet breaking the tie

21-Feb-24
I called and was told by Carlins staffer that 4 were in favor and 4 against with Corbet breaking the tie

21-Feb-24

21-Feb-24
By the make-up of the committee, some Republicans would have voted against it, likely with the Dems. Hopefully more will oppose it if it makes it to a House vote.

21-Feb-24
By the make-up of the committee, some Republicans would have voted against it, likely with the Dems. Hopefully more will oppose it if it makes it to a House vote.

21-Feb-24

21-Feb-24
It turn around time, he’s just trying to throw something out there that will stick as someone else said above.

It is time to contact your Reps and Senator(s) and ask them to let this committee’s bills die, go no further. I also suggest writing to the Speaker of the House pointing out the obvious conflict of interest with Corbet presiding over any game related legislation.

21-Feb-24
There is a speaker of the house, a speaker pro tem (whatever that is), and a house majority leader. Email who? Or email all?

21-Feb-24
I'd say email everyone. Staffer told me to email that house majority leader because if he keeps it from the floor it will die on the vine and the session is about over so it would have to be crafted at committee level again next session if that happens.

21-Feb-24
Thanks cherney, will do…

This is what I’m sending:

I’m writing I regard to Rep. Corbet and any and all policy he drafts regarding wildlife management or regulation. Rep. Corbet makes a substantial portion of his earnings off the sale of hunts. In short he is an outfitter. His desire to shape wildlife policy to benefit himself and his clients is a blatant conflict of interest. He also has a personal vendetta against the KDWP&T; which is a stain upon his record. I will be honest with you, I feel he is a self-serving politician who deserves to be ousted by primary, but I digress. PLEASE shut down ANY and ALL bills he brings forth from committee in regard to wildlife management; he is not seeking to serve the landowners of Kansas, of which I am one by multiple generations. His most recent offering is HB2672 which hurts MANY and benefits few; those hurt most will be the hard-working employees of the KDWP. Thank you for your time and service to our great state.

21-Feb-24
Dang James that’s a good write up. I wish I was talented in that regards but I’m not. Maybe I’ll just have you draft something up for me next time I send something their way:?)

22-Feb-24
Here’s the latest on the finer details. Amendments were made to get the thing moving I gather.

“They changed the language so landowners can sell the tags. Kdwp can charge $25. Will be a loss of $25 million to kdwp. Need to contact to reps as they are the ones that will see it next if introduced to the house to be voted on.”

22-Feb-24
Speaker of the House info page with his Capital and Home emails: https://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2023_24/members/rep_hawkins_daniel_1/

House District map: https://kslegislature.com/li_2022/s/pdf/district_maps/district_map_h_012.pdf

More detailed House map once you think you've found your District: https://www.kslegislature.org/li/districts_curr_h.html

House Roster and emails: https://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2023_24/chamber/house/roster/

22-Feb-24

sitO's Link
House of Representatives list, and email addresses.

22-Feb-24
I heard back from Mr. Blex this morning. He said the right things and it was nice to actually hear back from someone. He's the first to reply to me concerning this topic.

22-Feb-24
Doug Blex, along with Will Carpenter, are our best assets in the house. The reason Corbet no longer brings any of this crap up through the ag committee is Rep Blex will kill it before it sees the light of day every time. I’m glad he reached back out to you Cat.

Calhoun, I got my ideas from cherney’s letter. :-)

22-Feb-24
Here's the list of emails for all House members, should be able to copy/paste:

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

Here's what I sent to all:

Good morning,

I'm writing to implore that you do everything in your power to oppose HB's 2582, 2671, & 2672. All of these bills were submitted in retaliation to the KDWP for suggesting we protect our natural resources/wildlife, and eliminate the baiting of deer.

Lewis Bloom, on behalf of Ken Corbet, made a threat to the KDWP in a public forum which has been widely publicized. The threat was to strip the KDWP of funds, and two of these bills will do exactly that. More importantly these bills will completely decimate an already depleted Mule and Whitetail deer herd structure. They could potentially add an additional 300k deer hunters on grounds that are already overhunted.

There are current ethics complaints against both Bloom and Corbet, these have also been publicized: Kansas wildlife agency could lose millions of dollars amid fight over deer baiting | KCUR - Kansas City news and NPR

There is an obvious conflict of interest here, as Corbet owns and runs Ravenwood Lodge near Topeka. He stands to gain substantially if these Bills were to pass, and has nothing but his own interest in mind.

Please do what's best for the citizens and outdoorsmen/women of Kansas and vote no on these proposed Bill's.

Thank you for your time,

Send whatever you feel compelled to send, but please send something. Edit: Yes I left Corbet and Bloom off the email list

22-Feb-24
I heard back from one Rep and they were voting against all of them also

22-Feb-24
I've had three replies within an hour of sending. All are in opposition to these Bills.

22-Feb-24
Looks like HB 2582 is on the agenda today for a vote. That’s the bill to pack the commission with more people.

22-Feb-24
Duplicate post.

22-Feb-24
Delete.

22-Feb-24
Rep Dodson just emailed me that he doesn't think any of this bills will be heard on the floor of the house.

22-Feb-24
That is great news, I hope he’s right.

22-Feb-24
They withdrew 2582 from the calendar.

Great news indeed if it holds.

22-Feb-24
They withdrew 2582 from the calendar.

Great news indeed if it holds.

22-Feb-24
Hopefully the ethics complaints come through, and we don't have to deal with his worthless a$$ again next year.

22-Feb-24
So I reached out to Kwch and got a response to do an interview.

22-Feb-24
Please list any arguing facts you may want me to bring up.

22-Feb-24
The two biggest hunting days in Kansas are opening weekend on pheasant season and the weekend after Thanksgiving. It would be STUPID to put 90,000 centerfire hunters out there on the same weekend. Safety issues?

22-Feb-24
Be sure to bring up Corbet’s targeting of the KDWP.

22-Feb-24
I ran a successful guiding business for 4 years with no feeders if that helps counter his claim he needs them for his business. After all, he says the deer are a threat to farmers, so why not hunt them over ag fields. My guide # was 1175 if that helps.

23-Feb-24
Rep Carlin has drafted a conflict of interest bill and introduced it in the elections committee. She is requesting support if people can show up to be there for the hearing and also is wanting anyone who agrees to testify on the bill in person or in writing. I've asked her for the bill number and will share it here. Sounds like this is a great chance to prevent these guys from drafting bills every year in attempts to help nonresidents and themselves and hurt the KDWP.

23-Feb-24
Good news Patrick, please keep us posted on that!

23-Feb-24

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
HB 2671 & 2672 were "Stricken from calendar" today...

Winning

23-Feb-24

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

23-Feb-24
Rep Carlin has been top notch throughout this process. Ensure she recieves messages of appreciation for her efforts so she knows her work and support for hunters isn’t going unnoticed.

[email protected]

23-Feb-24
I just emailed her. Good work everyone, I’m sure Corbet isn’t done, we’ll be at it again in the days ahead.

29-Feb-24
Rumor that's one or all of these got added to another and voted on last night?

29-Feb-24
HB 2079, HB 2671, and HB 2672 have been killed for this session. I recommend everyone to remain vigilant. They can slip it into another bill.

29-Feb-24
That's what I heard happened last night Chris?

29-Feb-24
I have not heard if they added it to another bill.

01-Mar-24
I’ve been told about a bill being drawn up to combat future stupidity from Corbet that would hurt the KDWP. I’m not at liberty to discuss the details at this point, but I hope to find out if I can share soon.

04-Mar-24
James…assuming you are referring to Rep. Carlin, who has drafted a “conflict of interest” bill and introduced it in the House Elections Committee?

Yep, can’t wait to see more on that and if it has any legs to it.

04-Mar-24
It’s something else crested, there are multiple reps fed up with Corbet. Rep Carlin did return my email thanking her for her diligence and hard work She’s a winner and works quite well with those across the isle; from what I’ve heard.

04-Mar-24
This is great news!

04-Mar-24
Corbet lurks here.

04-Mar-24
Good deal….looks like Corbet is getting it from all angles…..bout dang time that he gets a taste of his own medicine.

Figured him to be a lurker?

04-Mar-24
Jayhawkmarauder, that’s EXACTLY why I don’t put many details in these posts….

05-Mar-24
I guess Corbet will figure out he can save some postage and stop sending me his BS campaign adds.

05-Mar-24
Good. I hope he does read this, and understands that he is known now to be corrupt, a sneaky, fat, old, bald, rat of a man that tries to use his power to line his pockets. He knows now that many eyes are on his methods.

05-Mar-24
What politician isn’t corrupt ?

05-Mar-24
Corbet is no different than any other politician, they are all there to influence legislation that affects them, their sources of income.

Go through the list on the Kansas Legislature website that describes each representative and senator. You will find the rosters full of farmers, ranchers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, and big business owners. Now think about what the big issues are always about in politics year after year.

Politicians like the two Chairing the Natural Resources budget committee, is like hiring a pedophile to watch your kids.

06-Mar-24
idk about that in state politics. Imagine there are a decent number of good people...most of them probably burn out and quit after a short stint but I don't think that is a fair comparison

07-Mar-24
Aaron: this is really close to home for you.

08-Mar-24
Too close Dave. The outfitters in my neighborhood have ruined the tradition of hunting for generations.

15-Mar-24
Any updates on whats going on in Topeka?

• Sitka Gear