Bob Clark 13-Mar-24
steve 13-Mar-24
steve 13-Mar-24
steve 13-Mar-24
steve 13-Mar-24
Bob Clark 13-Mar-24
steve 14-Mar-24
27-Feb-24
Old guy here, 2 heart operations later I can't even pull back a wheel bow to my satisfaction. Looking to get back out in the woods after a 20 year absence. I don't plan on 100yd shots, 50 max and seeking advice on a crossbow in the $250 range (I know, these may not be top end bows). Going to Cabela's for gift card reasons and I've heard the stories about them as being not great working on bows, so I won't go there for that. Looking for FPS minimums, and it needs to be self cocking. Any thoughts on a Brand/Model? Thanks to all!

27-Feb-24
killer instinct I have a 415. you should get the better scope but it will do 50 yards no problem. I keep mine to 30 1 pin . can get a crank for it too. let me know if you need any more info. one more thing is you have to shoot heavy arrows.

28-Feb-24
Bob, don't get hung up on speed and you'll probably find one in your price range. The stories you heard are largely true about some employees in the archery dept. but you might luck into someone knowledgeable. Might be good to bring an experienced cross bow hunter with you .You ,however, might have to add a little more money to find something . Good luck . The cross bow has also extended my ability to hunt.

28-Feb-24
I did some research for my Dad 2 years ago, probably too much as it made it so difficult to chose.

He's had string, limb, noise, lost handle problems. The biggest issue was getting a local archery shop to work on it. Big Box place had no knowledge or capabilities to change parts.

The local shop was nice enough to tune it up and fix the issues. He of course charged a reasonable rate. If he bought it from the local guy all that repair work would have been free

So I'm recommending using that gift card on arrows and buy a lower budget from the local shop

Best of luck.

28-Feb-24
I agree with nehunter. Go to a local shop to buy it. Center Sports and Halls both have crossbows.

28-Feb-24
Bob : Good to hear from you. Hope all is getting better.I have to say try to save a little more and you won't be sorry. They make some good ones but get expensive.Be careful too if you plan on out of state. I just found out my crossbow is too narrow widthwise to use in New York. Halls would be a good start for good information. They may have used too. good luck. Tom S. (UBC) diehard!

29-Feb-24
ne makes a lot of sense

29-Feb-24
Thanks all. Good to see you still here Tom. I pass by your old house frequently.

01-Mar-24
As Tom said "Good to see you posting here and still around. Your name came up and I remember the UBC meetings, events and shows that we did. Hope that you are well. I bought a Parker crossbow from Cabela's several years ago ($500) and have had no problems at all with it. Deadly at 30 yards!

01-Mar-24
Hi Bob, I think you were involved with the United Bow Hunters of CT. Years a go. I'm sort of in the same boat with heart issues. I have a pacemaker for back up purposes. Any way I shoot a Excalibur Ibex 360. To me it's a grate Xbow. It's dead nuts on. One major reason I like the Excalibur is if something happens to the string I can change it in the field and keep hunting, also very light weight. I guess they are all pretty good by there own rights. But I have had this one for a long time and still shoots great. Good luck on your choice. Regards

02-Mar-24
Thanks Raph and Gene... What would be helpful if I could hear what brands to stay away from if there are any. Also, I'm not looking to take long shots, what do you suggest my max range should be, or does it depend on the bow. Anyone? Thanks to all.

02-Mar-24
get a killer instinct package . they have a great service department and warranty. there is a killer instinct site on facebook. keep your shoots within 30 . they will shoot 80 yards but a little twig will throw you off farthest I have shot a deer is 23. . I put mine together out of the box and sited in after 3 arrows.

02-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
bass pro , all you need to kill a deer.

02-Mar-24
Bob, whatever you decide on. make sure you have a decent scope. The scope that came with mine was off a bit. I got a decent rifle scope and never looked back. I set it at 20 yds. Went back to 30 and 40 yards and never compasated. But I try and stay to 20 to 30 yards. Good luck on what you get.

02-Mar-24
i agree. !! the killer instinct has a upgraded scope i put on mine. site in at 30 walk back to fifty and adjust the speed ring . 60 and 70 come in. but i still would never shoot over 30.

02-Mar-24
I'm not going to knock any xbow out there. They seem to be good in their own right. Like I stated I went with the Excalibur because it has really not many moving parts. Just a string and limbs, and you can change out the string in the field. I up graded the scope and I shoot Easton magnums x75 2219. They shoot better than the Excalibur bolts that came with the Xbow. Also I use 100 grain slick tricks. I know there are probably newer gear better but when shoot a bit I'm right on. I still don't go out as much as I use to because of my heart problems. But it will hard to keep me out of the woods. But that's my set up. But that 199.00 deal at pro bass sound like a good deal.

03-Mar-24
Steve and Victor, thanks for the great advice as I'm trying to narrow my choices and this helps. Xcaliber and Killer Instinct are brands I am looking at. Also, great advice also on the scopes.

03-Mar-24
Any advice on a moderately priced scope and suggested magnifications for 20 yd shots 40yd max? TIA

03-Mar-24
Any advice on a moderately priced scope and suggested magnifications for 20 yd shots 40yd max? TIA

03-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
Bob this is the scope I have looks like1.5 good to I think 80 yards , its illuminated in two colors and three brightness. had it for about 4 years . If you buy the package you sell the one that came with it.

04-Mar-24
Thanks Steve.

13-Mar-24
Just took delivery of a KI Fiery 400, mostly for the price and crank. I will swap the scope out. Question on bolts, not sure what is best brand/type for targets? Which work well for deer? Looking for value, not the most expensive. Thanks again for all the help so far.

13-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
bolts

13-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
lighted knocks

13-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
broad head . expensive but the best I have used! if you want fixed I use slick trix 4 blade . fly perfect kill deer but not the same blood trail.

13-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
broad head . expensive but the best I have used! if you want fixed I use slick trix 4 blade . fly perfect kill deer but not the same blood trail.

13-Mar-24
Thanks brother. Been a while since I've had venny, can I get take one from your connections?

14-Mar-24
Bob you’re on your own there. .Me and your brother still had the best i ever had! Good luck!!!

• Sitka Gear