Will 28-Feb-24
hickstick 28-Feb-24
MA-PAdeerslayer 28-Feb-24
BAT 28-Feb-24
Notime2fish 28-Feb-24
Arrownoob 28-Feb-24
Will 29-Feb-24
28-Feb-24
The past few years we have really tried to give the kids experiences. It can be spendy (the Grand Teton road trip last summer was at least), but we want them to have experience seeing places and being in them. Meet new people, see neat places, etc.

Most recently, we took the kids on their first trip to DC, at the start of Feb Vacation last week.

If you have yet to go to DC, it's worth a trip, even if you are not a city person. You can walk most of the "mall" from the Lincoln/Jefferson/King monuments to the Library of Congress/SCOTUS/Capitol if you dont have a physical issue. The museums are amazing. I'm a sucker for the Natural History Museum in particular, but they are all pretty dang cool. I'd never been to the International Spy Museum before, and can say that even if you were there without kids/grandkids that place is worth checking out.

I'd been to a lot over the years, but seeing it all with the kids was super cool. I'd never done a Capitol tour, and that was pretty darn cool to get extra history... But the best part was the Library of Congress. I'd never been inside there, and it's amazing. It's a literal cathedral to curiosity. I'd love to go back after getting a research pass and just go sit and read, just an amazing building and space.

It was a blast, and I forgot how interesting it is. Just so much history.

So, just a "if you need a cool thing to do with kids, or yourself", DC is pretty neat. And only like 7hrs of driving if you hit NYC smoothly.

28-Feb-24
It sure is, Will. we've been many times as we have close friends who live down there. with the child, we'd stop and stay overnight in Philly to get that in, and usually did a day trip out to Mt Vernon or Williamsburg.

we were luckly enough, many years ago to get a private White House tour with a Secret Service Agent who was a friend of our friends. that was amazing.

the Spy Museum was always fun (even the second or third time through).

28-Feb-24
Of all the trips we’ve taken the kids on over the years DC is the one they still talk about. Ford Theater was cool the spy museum and so so much more. We really enjoyed the Arlington National Cemetery and the changing of the guard was an amazing experience!.

28-Feb-24
Notime - Ford Theater is really amazing indeed. Especially walking out the door and seeing the building Lin ncoln died in right there. So much history!

Hick, that would be amazing. On the way home, the kids said we should talk to our state rep and see if we can get on the list for a white house tour. You had some awesome adventures!

Our next one in the "middle" I think will be Gettysburg. That's another one of those "Wholly smokes so much happened here" places. Maybe do that, then swing into Philly, as they have never been there and we could see the bell, the rocky statue, and have a cheese steak..

28-Feb-24
we did a tour and declaration reading at Independence Hall while in Philly. hearing the reading was pretty moving.

28-Feb-24
Arlington National was by far my favorite part of DC. Went for 8th grade trip. I’d go back but…ehh. Lotta people. I don’t like people. lol

28-Feb-24
Do Gettysburg and hit the Flight 93 Memorial in PA, both are overwhelming

28-Feb-24
I would also say the 9/11 museum in NY. Took the kids a few years back and was possibly the 1st time they have ever seen me shed a tear. The thing about that trip was that they got it and now both my son and daughter and attending service academy’s!

28-Feb-24
Now that the kids have phones they can download 2-3 seasons of a show and they will just watch all the way through. It helps to have drinks, snacks and candy.

29-Feb-24
BAT - great point - that would be super. Could actually blend a lot of that - Gettysburg, Flight 93 Memorial, Philly, NYC for the 9/11 memorial and the statue of liberty...

• Sitka Gear