Will 04-Mar-24
peterk1234 04-Mar-24
Tekoa 04-Mar-24
Dthfrmabove1 06-Mar-24
hickstick 13-Mar-24
04-Mar-24

Tekoa's embedded Photo
Tekoa's embedded Photo
The first disposable razor. Carry that small stone core and when you need a cutting blade make one. It takes only a second. These have been found all over the world. What is crazy is that the core rock is European flint found under the Brooklyn bridge. It was used as ballast for tall ships.

04-Mar-24
Interesting.

04-Mar-24
Pretty cool stuff !!! Was wondering Tekoa. Could you make that into an arrow head and make arrows with it ??? Say to shoot a smallish pig in Hawaii ???

04-Mar-24
Death, The short answer is yes. Not that specific blade or piece of flint but I have made many many arrow points that are "Hunting Quality". By that I mean sharp and thin enough for good penetration. Stone projectile points have been dropping critters for over a hundred thousand years if you include Africa. The challenge is fitting it to a carbon shaft. The arrows I use are wood and I notch the shaft, glue and tie with sinew. I just looked at Three rivers archery and they actually carry a stone point attached to an aluminum screw in adapter. They must have slotted the adapter for the stone point. I'll see what I can work up. If it looks promising I'll let you know and maybe you can kill a pig with it. Hunting size stone points weigh between 70 - 100 grains. With the adapter it will be 90 - 125 grains.

04-Mar-24
Tekoa. Thinking about going recurve or longbow and putting down the bow with training wheels for This. I set out to accomplish a goal and achieved it with moderately good success. Now it’s time to take it to a whole other level. I will never give up the compound, but don’t mind trying something new. There are a ton of accomplished archers here on Oahu who I can get a few lessons from to shorten the learning curve on this weird bow without sights. Hahah. What is great about this game is I can stalk to within 10-15 yds of them if the wind is right. Makes it a bunch easier to get within range

04-Mar-24
That's super cool!

04-Mar-24
I'm with Will. Very cool!

04-Mar-24
Back in the 60's and 70's lots of recurve shooters had pins on their stickbows. Probably the majority of them. That isn't a bad idea as a stepping stone into a new phase of archery. Lots of stickbow guys today gap shoot. The arrow tip is your sight. At some yardage it is point on. You will quickly learn the gaps for other yardages. Inside 25 yards you can get extremely accurate and consistent shooting that way.

06-Mar-24
I remember my stepdad having a pin on his bow. Also remember his golden eagle Oneida and then his Jennings compound. Fucker used to pull 73lbs with fingers. A buddy of his called him out and they went to an archery shop and put it on the scale !!!

I don’t know what I used to pull with the finger tab before releases were legal in MA but it was a fair amount. With today’s compound bows it would be finger suicide if you shot fingers at a high poundage. Lol

13-Mar-24
fingers with a compound in this day and age would be no bueno...not for the poundage, more for the string angle. most stickbows are 10 to 15 inches LONGER than todays wheelie bows. highest I ever shot was a recurve that was 70#. damn thing was like shoot a 44mag.

I used to regularly shoot 65# recurves. I have since dropped down gradually to right around 50.

• Sitka Gear