goelk 21-Mar-24
Jaquomo 21-Mar-24
Paul@thefort 21-Mar-24
Jaquomo 21-Mar-24
Jaquomo 27-Mar-24
Paul@thefort 28-Mar-24
Jaquomo 28-Mar-24
14-Mar-24
I am watching the Commission meeting and see that the majority of members of the Commission to not hunt and I am trying to figure who there is actually supporting Colorado hunters? Sad days ahead

14-Mar-24
None of them support or like hunting. The gal that just got confirmed was spearheading the lion hunting ban a couple years ago. Buy hey ask Ziek he will tell you Polis isn't anti hunting and the commission is doing great.

14-Mar-24
I read yesterday, in defense of the appointments, that hunting is #18 on the list of popular activities by Coloradoans. The point was that hunters are already overrepresented on the PWC.

14-Mar-24
We're fine. Just received an email that CPW is funding $7million in nonmotorized trail building and maintainence. Appears a lot of the trails are on NF or BLM. Not on State Parks.

14-Mar-24
All Commissioners approved of going all draw for archery, in their public comments. prior to voting. This was prior to receiving any public testimony during the next hours. I was going to testify but will not now. Another sad day.

14-Mar-24
All those surveys and public comments sure did a lot good didn’t they?

But it made you feel good. Just like the CPW intended

15-Mar-24
Was there any decision by the commissioners on how to move forward with CPW's recommendations?

I an digging out yesterday and today...

15-Mar-24
Stix - see the "Did not give up" thread

15-Mar-24
well I did testify, just felt the need to do so. I am surprised they want more info, but it will be an uphill battle to get a positive vote. Right now, considering the make up of the Commission, 7/3 in favor of staff. I do not trust our two remaining "sportsman's representatives" to be on our side. Maybe one but surely not both. The one in the past testified in favor of OTC license but caved in this time around. Another day in court, we will see what we can do.

15-Mar-24
You and Steve did a great job. We resident bowhunters are screwed.

15-Mar-24
Link?

15-Mar-24
This all makes me sick and I am a former bowhunter. I see how this all happened and can't believe how fast it went south. I just wish someone from one of the bigger represented groups (RMEF/DU/BHA/CBA etc can get us someone we to lead us thru the next 3 years, so we can redirect this trainwreck. Haskett for the moment is the swing vote and she is killing us. What on earth is going on?

15-Mar-24
No one from one of the big conservation organizations will ever be appointed by this bunch. That would be counter to their agenda.

18-Mar-24
The big groups probably feel putting money into anything in Colorado is just throwing it down a drain. Look how many HOWL's were sent & the only thing it did was get one to step down. He is probably wishing he hadn't after seeing the others approved despite the efforts of sportsmen and women.

18-Mar-24
RMEF donated $200,000 to the StopTheWolf campaign, and nothing was done except to produce a few feel-good long form videos that no one saw unless they went to the STW website.

19-Mar-24
Zeik any comments?

19-Mar-24
Jaquomo, CBA also donated $10,000 to CRWM. The fun will start in a month or two, once they have the signatures.

20-Mar-24
The unfortunate thing about the two anti wolf campaigns (Stop the wolf, and the livestock assoc) here in Colorado, was that they could not raise enough money to match the huge pro wolf dollars, much of it coming from outside of the state and yes while they tried, not very organized.

The stop the Mt. LIon initiative has generated much more money from in-state as well as from out of state and has learned a lot about how to get the message out to the voters, from past experiences. It will now be a wait and see if this all pays out for Colorado sportsman.

I have been doing my own polling at various times for the last few months to see if sportsmen and even nonhunters know anything about this Mt. Lion issue. The vast majority do not. I asked a 30 year old voter the other day a loaded question, ie, How would you vote for this Initiative to ban Mt LIon hunting, based on what you know?" He stated, "well, I have never seen a Mt LIon in Colorado, so I guess their population must be very low, so I would support the ban". Yep, a typical answer.

20-Mar-24
^^^ exactly. Urbanites have this perception that ending hunting of something elusive (bears, lions, bobcats) will increase their chances of getting an iPhone pic of one on a Sunday afternoon open space trail hike, which will then immediately go on IG and FB and get them lots of likes.

Really tough to fight that misguided perception.

20-Mar-24
That voter that you are referring to that said the population must be low I'm wondering how he'll feel when the population gets high and seeing a mountain lion is nothing new as they tear into everyone's dogs on the hiking trails and everywhere else

20-Mar-24
At the Ft Collins gym this morning I watched an active trail camera shot of a large Mt lion passing through the owner's yard. His house in two miles east of Ft Collins. and across I-25.

20-Mar-24
^^^ It wasn’t a mtn lion. It was a cougar

20-Mar-24
Ha! Speaking of, my neighbors saw a mtn lion this morning on the golf course out here in Sterling. And I don't doubt it at all.

21-Mar-24
very disappointing ! Live here my whole life 70 years! For there a season turn turn for everything for a purpose.

21-Mar-24
Where I deer hunt on the eastern plains in the Arkansas and Purgatoire river drainages, the deer population is way, way down in just a couple years. Local ranchers blame mountain lions, because the lion explosion out there is a relatively new phenomenon, coinciding with the drastic drop off in deer numbers.

Hopefully the lions will "self regulate" their litters and breeding before the deer numbers drop off rhe charts.

21-Mar-24
Wait, I have heard that statement, "self regulate" at a wolf meeting. Must be the new buzz word. Lou, still have not seen any Texas fish pics.

21-Mar-24

27-Mar-24

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Paul, catching a few but the weather has been mostly bad for fishing the whole month. Been cool and the wind has been out of the wrong direction for flats wade fishing. Everybody is hoping for a steady weather pattern in early April.

28-Mar-24
Yea, Yea, I see Page's catch. Where is yours. :)

28-Mar-24
I dont take fish pics anymore unless they are GIANT. Mine ended up blackened, deep fried, grilled, and in fish tacos.

• Sitka Gear