ARLOW 20-Mar-24
Dthfrmabove1 20-Mar-24
Proline 20-Mar-24
Big Dog 21-Mar-24
Ungie01201 21-Mar-24
Brian M. 21-Mar-24
Big Dog 21-Mar-24
19-Mar-24
You hang a stand in Feb. ; then work hard clearing lanes and /or shooting openings. Go back up in the stand to check your handiwork......looks pissah, like a November crime scene. Then for some random reason return a month later, perhaps to peek (pee) into your mock scrape, only to find there's a thin branch 12 ft .high that's positively going to obstruct a shot into your best lane....... and you don't have your pole saw. That was my morning.

19-Mar-24
Ophta. That's NEVER a fun experience BD. It's always that one little branch too. You just sit there helpless, with that little tiny branch in just the wrong spot - for you...

19-Mar-24
I'm sure you will be back in to that scrape before season... with your saw! :)

19-Mar-24
Ungie, I walked all the way out, went home for the pole saw, walked back in and cut that branch. My wife wondered what I was doing that took me so long . While I was in the spot cutting ,I tried to envision a couple other branches that could be trouble if they grew and clipped them too. Now I'm staying out of there until late Oct. I'm pooped ; it's nap time.

19-Mar-24
Yes that’s happened to me more than once

20-Mar-24
BD. Used to happen to me all the time !! Then I just stopped cutting and clearing. At most I would have 2-3 openings out to 25 yds and didn’t notice any difference on shot opportunities. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I could never guess what way the deer were coming from. I would look left and they would come right. Hahah

20-Mar-24
Dth, there was a time I didn't cut good lanes/openings . My thinking was that an old buck would be spooked by the physical change in his environment. True to a degree; but, I now do the cutting in late winter and stay out until hunting season . This seems to have worked out well. In my humble opinion it's important to not only cut what will obstruct a shot but those tiny PITA branch tips that will grow into "deflections" over the summer. Ain't easy but I do my best. No lane , no shot, no venison.....and no taxidermy bill, LOL.

20-Mar-24
Every single time

20-Mar-24
So true BD. Haha.

20-Mar-24
Right with you BD. I’ve done that same walk for the pole saw. I figure if I Lea be one branch or twig sure I’ll hit when the corker is right in on me. I leave nothing to chance. And yup, every thing is trimmed up now.

21-Mar-24
Proline, I'll bet your recent big buck looks spectacular on the wall.

21-Mar-24
Big Dog... i'll be doing the same thing soon. I went and hung a stand at the end of last season.. i used tree pegs... i'm not as nimble as I used to be, so I will be going back in sometime over the next month to hand ladder sticks... this spot is about a mile hike up the mountain.. not fun to get to... it will be a good November rut stand... that's about it.. will only be hunted when everything is "perfect".

21-Mar-24
A length of para cord would have saved you a trip. I've looped it over a branch, pulled it down, or to the side and tied off to another tree. Obviously it's for the occasional limb or sapling, not to make a spider web around your stand. Fits in your pocket or pack better than a pole saw too.

21-Mar-24
Ungie, doing that stuff is fun, enjoy. Set it up and let it marinade 'til the time is right.

• Sitka Gear