Will 02-Apr-24
Mhg825 02-Apr-24
MA-PAdeerslayer 02-Apr-24
Coondog 07-Apr-24
Ungie01201 08-Apr-24
Coondog 08-Apr-24
MA-PAdeerslayer 08-Apr-24
25-Mar-24
Interesting topic. Lots of rabbit holes to go down depending on what you want out of your setup. That’s what I’m focused on here. What do you want with your set up….

It seems that most if not all pro-shops might ask what you want for draw weight, draw length, look at an arrow chart and say “These shafts will work. Let me throw on some vanes, glue in an insert, screw in a 100 Gr (mostly) or 125 Gr FP and say - Good luck”. And a lot of hunters have no idea what they’re shooting or if it’s good, bad or indifferent. Many don’t care, especially if they get decent groups at 20 yards after a quick sight in session.

I looked a little deeper into how to make my arrow/bow as efficient and effective as possible. I’ve shot deer. Lost deer. Missed deer. I always asked why did that work or not work and how can I minimize “mistakes” or maximize opportunities.

It would be cool to see what or why guys/gals shoot and how they know if that is the most efficient , effective,right at the point of diminishing returns setup. So let’s hear some questions or statements on what/why your arrow/bow combo makes you confident with hitting perfect shots and not so perfect shots that should end in success. Thanks.

25-Mar-24

S0sso's Link
Overthinking it, but lucky for you the math is in, you want the heaviest arrow you can throw at that deer at the maximum ranges you hunt at. Meaning you don't want to fire a log that comes out and loses speed to such a degree by the time it hits 40 yards that it just glances off the deer (there are diminishing returns to heavier arrows, it's a bell curve). But you get the point, I hope.

Arrow mass/weight wins, it wins every time and I will fight anyone on this. I've done the math, I've done the math with LITERAL ROCKET SCIENTISTS (end of the day distractions).

But to put it simply, any arrow that passes through a deer has wasted momentum. There is force and work that was never put through that deer, it was all wasted. Ideally you want a hole through both sides, which is gonna happen, but you want it burring itself in the ground or tree behind it as little as possible because all of the kinetic energy when into the deer. Think 22-250 vs. 12ga slug.

"But in both cases the same hole is being made so why does it matter?" Because of the force it imparts, the shockwave to muscle and organs that one arrow will deliver vs. another. Why does this matter, because as a bow hunter, you want blood! Unless destroying a critical organ, arrows and bullets are all about exsanguination, and the heart in any animal is a wet pump, meaning it seizes when the fluid lines are dry just like any other wet pump (creates it's own vacuum lock). So you want your target to bleed out as fast as possible, regardless of where you put the arrow. You are more likely to do this with a heavier arrow. YAAAY!

I know most people have a differing opinion based on preference, and that's fine, ultimately all you need to know is the following: it takes 42ft-lbs of work to get a pass through on a deer, and I can't think of a single modern compound bow and arrow weight combination that won't just about double that every single time. So then it becomes about blood loss. So sure you have to shoot straight, but heavier arrows make bigger holes.

I put a link to a kinetic energy calc in this post so you can play with. Ultimately the answer to your question, and however you would modify it for clarity, is a simple "Yes".

25-Mar-24
Choosing an arrow set up can be confusing for a new hunter so it’s best to trust a reliable pro shop. That being said, most pro shops prefer a more standard 100g- forward calculation. I wasn’t having any trouble at all with my 100g montecs and 400 spine v force from x spot but that danged ranch fairy got in my head and I chose to switch to 200g masaai with a 350 spine black eagle deep impact. Increasing your forward weight or total weight comes at a cost- accuracy. The difference between 20y and 27y or 38y and 45y causes a more significant drop (because the arrow is moving slower not because heavy stuff drops faster.) I’ve made some mistakes since the switch but have myself to blame. Things happen fast and a deer ends up at 32 or 24 or 39 yards- it’s hard to tell. At this point I actually don’t know if the increased drop distance has cost me more opportunities than if I were using my old set up. Too late the switch - I’m confident now and I chopped all my 400 spine arrows shorter for my son. I am pretty sure that my best buck to date was because my 200g plowed through a higher lung shot but you can’t really ever be sure.

25-Mar-24
I've tried several different arrows, spines, etc. over the years. When I finally found what worked for me, I have stuck with the same arrow for the past 4 bows I have owned. That arrow still seems to do the job. FMJ 11.3 gpi arrow. Heavier arrow than I used to shoot... hits hard and does the job. I don't worry about speed, but I want something that isn't too heavy, per Arrownoob's point above. I think I'm right around 500 gr. all in.

25-Mar-24
Think about this. An arrow isn’t heavy if it’s going fast.

Step away from the “heavy arrow” terminology. It’s being used incorrectly. It’s relative to how efficient your set up is.

25-Mar-24
Ungie, FMJ’s were a great arrow at a time. However, the aluminum shell around the carbon inner has been known to bend extremely easy by just pulling them out of a target let alone shooting an animal or something hard with them. A full carbon arrow is a better option. The Easton X10 Parallel Pro is the exact opposite of the FMJ actually… aluminum inner and carbon shell outside… these arrows will not bend like the FMJs.

The high GPI of a shaft isn’t how someone should be adding weight to their arrow. Adding point weight is a far more effective method to creating an arrow that weighs more. Increasing front (or forward) of center on your arrow will likely lead to more accuracy down range, less wind drift, and better performance. You can add point weight by heavier inserts, collars, or heavier broadheads.

25-Mar-24
Two holes through the pumpstation or you got zippo.

25-Mar-24
Sosso I think you’ve helped me identify my problem. See, I did those same calculations, but with some Boeing engineers.

25-Mar-24
Coons... good info. Thank you. I have a bunch of FMJs... they have killed me quite a few deer over the years. I will stick with what I know works for now... until I run out.. then will re-evalute. i have broken a few on deer, but have used the same arrow to kill half a dozen in a season as well.

25-Mar-24
Re Sosso- "there are diminishing returns to heavier arrows, it's a bell curve"

There are also diminishing returns to using too light of an arrow or heavy draw weight in order to increase arrow speed. (Strain on bow or strain on joints!)

Decades ago, in the old AMMO established 9GPP as the balance point between the two extremes. Granted, this was in recurve and longbow only days but I think staying somewhere between 7 and 11 GPP should work well, depending on the game you're shooting at.

And in these days of laser range finders I don't see so much advantage to the old "light arrow flat trajectory" argument.

25-Mar-24
I have multiple fmjz as well. To many to spend on new ones. Check straightness and fletch. For now. In the future I will definitely reevaluate

25-Mar-24
I've always kept it simple and within the suggested range of weight/spine/length. I did change from 100 to 125 up front after a few years and found a slightly stiffer arrow made that fly the best , with this moderate FOC addition. Besides trying a wider fixed blade for one season and one terrible experience... I'm sticking with what has worked all along and never changing a thing other than the above, minor adjustment. Math is interesting, but it becomes theoretical at some point, when we are applying the equation to an unknown variable (the animal and its movement /point of impact) .

If the arrow is close to the suggested specs ... the experience we perceive is a mystical and somewhat unprovable event. It becomes a belief system, and our beliefs seem to have more impact than the minor variations do in real world applications. It isn't rocket science (there are/were several engineers in my family) . It's far more complex and maliable than an engineering computation because it has living, unpredictable variables that can't be factored in beyond the basics. And so, at some point after basics, it's really a belief based on probabilities that exist in the mind alone.

25-Mar-24
Pi, I had to ask Google to translate that post and even Google had a hard time. Lol

Everything is great with an arrow - Until it’s not. That’s what I have been learning more and more about. How do you know your arrow is strong, durable, efficient? You don’t, until it either fails or doesn’t.

Sosso, some of what you said is factual. However, a relatively fast “heavier” arrow loses speed much slower than a faster “lighter” arrow. IE - a 400gr @ 300 fps will lose speed faster than a 500gr @ 275 fps.

25-Mar-24
I have two bows and two completely different arrow set ups currently. One arrow weighs 536 grains with 210 grains up front… 74 grain deep six HIT, 10 grain collar, 125 grain broadhead. The second weighs 444 grains with 150 grains up front… 50 grain insert and 100 grain head. The 536 grain arrow flies at 294fps. The 444 grain flies at 327fps. Both have similar kinetic energy… over 100 ft/lbs. I would have no problem killing animals with the lighter set up, however, it is significantly louder and I would not be able to tune a fixed blade broadhead with it. If I draw an August antelope tag then I will use it to hunt them with an expandable. The heavier set up I shoot both fixed and expandables and get the same point of impact out to 120 yards because I super tune my bow and accommodate my sight tape for the drag that is introduced past 60 yards with any broadhead. There are so many variables that can be changed with arrow set up and efficiency. Do not get stuck in the “oh well it’s worked so far” mindset. It will be a real eye opener when you start testing different things such as spine, point weight, vane size, profile, and configuration.

25-Mar-24
I also would like to add that if you trust a pro shop’s bow tech to set up your bow then you’re doing yourself a disservice. Bow techs are great for people who are completely green to bow hunting. They can set up a bow for you, but they will never take the time or put in the effort with someone who wants a super tuned bow. I dare someone to go into a shop tell them you want to set your bow up to shoot 100+ yards AND have a set up to kill animals. They will look at you like you have three heads and question your thinking. I have been to some very good pro shops in the country. They are all the same… tying in d loops backwards, installing accessories half assed, no paper tuning, etc. If you have the means, start working on your own set ups. It’s a lot easier than you would think. As a bowhunter, it’s an extremely valuable skill to have.

25-Mar-24
What process or processes do you consider super tuned ?

25-Mar-24
If ever necessary, I'll pay you to make a bow great again... MABGA !

...You can pay me to dig dirt and move stones.

Division of labor in a free market works too.

25-Mar-24
I think gun hunting whitetails has lead to some erroneous logic when applied to bow. With a GUN, u don't want blow thru both shoulder (broadside) and waste all the meat... a little further back toward the middle will still get it done. Similarly, u wouldn't want too big of a caliber, too much "wasted" KE. Neither of these apply to a bow. Pick a broadhead that won't break or degrade in the animal. Pick one that won't deflect off a rib. Mass forward of center helps penetration. If you go too heavy your trajectory will suffer past 35. Everyone should be getting 2 holes on every bow shot on whitetail. If u don't, recovery chances go way down. Especially if elevated w a high entry / no exit. Shoot for the heart. Your bow is not a gun.

25-Mar-24
First I’d start by seeing what your FPS is on your current setup. Here’s why…. Get a starting point. 275-295 FPS is a very sweet spot for tuning and pin gap/sight tape. You can do a lot in that range with broadhead choices.

Then you can start tweaking your setup and building an arrow that does what you want. Example - you can have two arrows that weigh the same, but perform much differently in tune and flight. Then you start the tuning process. Things to think about.

25-Mar-24

Coondog's Link
I wrote this article about a month ago. Kind a very good starting point for anyone looking to start working on their bow. I did not add any of the advanced styles of tuning or arrow building in it.

25-Mar-24
Good stuff.

25-Mar-24
Coondog, seem to know your stuff. Love this conversation been tinkering with zero basis of design or knowledge for a couple years, one question not sure if you’d know because I can’t find the answer anywhere. The kinetic energy calculation is that based on a certain distance, guess I wonder that because I haven’t shot at a deer much over 20 yards it seems in years. Is kinetic energy at its maximum closest to the bow or is it on a curve the further from you you go and is a certain distance going to produce the highest energy or is it constant through the flight of the arrow.

25-Mar-24
The kinetic energy output your arrow will have is dependent on the weight of your arrow and the speed at which it’s traveling. So, as your arrow loses velocity down range, it also is going to lose kinetic energy.

25-Mar-24

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
This is a chart I keep in my bino harness at all times. It shows everything I need to know about my hunting set up. It helped out big time with shooting at target at 145 yards last year at Total Archery Challenge. Shows my speeds, drop, and kinetic energy every five yards. I got it from the Archers Advantage program.

25-Mar-24
So you just aim 458” high and then you’re good?

25-Mar-24
So you just aim 458” high and then you’re good?

26-Mar-24
458 inches of drop from my 0 yard impact if I was shooting 145 yards. I did the math of my sight getting clearance to 110 yards with my second pin. There is 6.7” of drop each yard at 145 yards. So I need to multiply 6.7 (inches) by 35 (yards)… 234.5 inches. Then divide by 12… 19.54 feet. I knew the bison target was about 6 feet tall so I had to envision another two targets stacked on top of the real target and then add a couple more feet. The target was next to a big pine tree so it had some branches hanging over which gave a really good point of reference to hold on. I shot the target twice and my arrows were an inch apart.

26-Mar-24
Oh that's nothing ... I have 6 arrows actually touching in my quiver.

26-Mar-24
The applied mathematics of archery is fascinating. Especially important for some of the big shoots and bow hunting where longer shots are anticipated.

26-Mar-24
The cool thing about what Coondog is talking about is that you can build arrows and/or tweak your bow to get the most efficiency out of your setup. It’s just some fun tinkering that’s easy to do.

It 100% applies to broadhead flight, impact, effectiveness on penetration and driving through your intended target.

Here’s a tiny example. You need a certain amount of force to open a mechanical broadhead. You also need a certain amount of force with a fixed blade BH to cut through an animal. Your arrow also loses, let’s call it power, as it flies. So your arrow hits an animal, and it’s not driving straight ahead because your setup isn’t tuned (for whatever reason) - So you’ve immediately lost more “power”. Now you hit a rib or shoulder blade and this arrow, that already isn’t driving straight ahead immediately angles off and doesn’t go where you think it went. Ever had that happen?

26-Mar-24
If you’re shooting pretty straight bare shaft at 30 yards when you add fletching it’s pretty straight. I guess that’s “efficiency”. To me if you’re thinking of things that reduce efficiency I’d say a wider dimeter arrow probably scrapes the sides more than a micro diameter.

26-Mar-24
If you’re shooting pretty straight bare shaft at 30 yards when you add fletching it’s pretty straight. I guess that’s “efficiency”. To me if you’re thinking of things that reduce efficiency I’d say a wider dimeter arrow probably scrapes the sides more than a micro diameter.

26-Mar-24
I like these sort of nerdy deep dives. Is there any standardized bench marks that can be looked at to determine if a bow has reached peak efficiency?

I'm currently shooting a Mathews triax at 60#, 28" draw, 507 grain arrow. According to some online arrow speed calculators it should be traveling at 254 fps, although I've never verified with a Chrono. In my eyes this setup seems to be my most efficient to date. I started with pro shop arrows that were under 400 grains, then switched to arrows as heavy as 587 grains a few years back. Both extremes had tuning issues, penetration issues on the lighter end, and ridiculous pin gaps on the heavier end. The current arrow tunes both fixed and mechanicals fairly easyily, penetrates well and has a much more forgiving pin gap than the heavier arrow. My gut tells me heavier is not going to increase efficiency. I could easily take out a 25 grain weight at the point to decrease overall weight to 482, but I'm concerned about decreasing the foc.

26-Mar-24
Noob, it’s a little about that. It’s maximizing your set up. Bare shaft tuning is only a little bit.

Think about what your draw weight is. Draw length. FPS with an arrow. What’s your arrow weigh. What’s your component system. Can it withstand a hard impact like a leg bone or log on a 3D course. Can you build an arrow with more or less FOC to help with impact/flight forgiveness. What kind of vanes and vane configuration are you paying with. You want to maximize some of these first.

I helped another Bowsiter here that thought he was drawing 68-69 lbs and when we checked, he was at 62. We moved his draw weight up. He shot faster. So we made his arrows heavier and he shot better more consistent groups at the same speed he was at before. Nothing changed in dynamics, but he now has a better more effective system with one tweak. Just basic stuff.

Paper tune. Bare shaft and with vanes tuning. Walk back tuning. All that comes into play in the later stages of the fun stuff. That’s when you can see if what you made is working.

26-Mar-24
Blood - I did, initially what you describe. I used the charts and went with 340's. I went with Axis shafts because the skinny shaft made sense to me - not because I researched the heck out of it. I shot 100grn because I'd gone through 75's in the past and 100 seemed good and offered the most options while initially tuning my current bow (pre heavy/COC excitement - 2007 or 08). Those arrows were humming at 320 on the chrono @ 410grns (arrow, vanes, wrap, 100grn head). That worked well.

A few years later I played with 300's, because the charts suggested I was on the edge with my 340's for my length, and 300's may be better. I couldnt get them to shoot well and gave em to a friend. I went happily back to my 340's... A few years ago I got semi ranch fairied and tried 300's again. It was herculean, but I got them shooting ok, paper bullet holes at 5-8yds (the paper), but I could sometimes see kick in the fletch as they flew and never felt as confident as with the 340s. I'd gone heavier for more energy down range on target, and proceeded to have my first non pass through on a buck (off side shoulder - so may not have passed through regardless) and between that and my slightly dinged confidence, I went back to my 340's with 100's up front and have done great.

That all said, I keep trying to learn about this stuff, because my antiqueish bow, while I like it, and it works well... it is 16, and my eyes wander a bit as the new stuff if very very nice. So I've basically decided I'm pretty close to a new bow, and when I do that, Ill likely go a little heavier... So I like reading your stuff because you always lay out great arrow set up ideas.

27-Mar-24
Two points that haven't been made... a heavier arrow will quiet your setup significantly upon release

Second, the heavier arrow "carries" more KE downrange... think about throwing a golfball vs a ping pong ball, which runs out of gas first? Important past 35 if your looking to open a mech... also a better tuned setup will degrade less (less drag)

The micro diameter thing is just marketing imho

27-Mar-24
Cougar - that's definitely a positive (the weight down range leading to less loss of speed). Guy at the archery shop in spencer did a fun experiment shooting through a chrono that was 5yds from the bow, and basically just a couple yds from the target. He did this with a light arrow (not crazy, just a lighter shaft. I dont recall the specific shaft, this was years ago. Maybe like a Vapor or a similar shaft from Beaman or Easton (I know he sold those then) and then a shaft like an axis. Not heavy by today's standards, but heavier than most of the stuff then. Both were humming, he shot like 80 pounds. But I remember the difference of velocity at the target being pretty interesting. It was like 35yds (the shot) from his cash register to the targets. The heavy arrow started out solidly slower - maybe 15fps or something. But ended up a few fps faster.

That down range thing works on paper and on the range.

27-Mar-24
Math!

27-Mar-24

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Arrownoob's embedded Photo

Arrownoob's Link
In regards to micro diameter these guys say it’s just marketing and that they are not more effective or efficient. They say it will stick further into a foam block because the foam closes in on itself but a live animal is not made of foam. I don’t really care either way- no one is saying they are less efficient, but I’m not on board with this logic.

27-Mar-24
Making sure ur ferrule is the same or smaller diameter than the base of the broadhead seems like sound practice as well

27-Mar-24
You’re going to get less wind drift with a .166 (4mm) than a .204 (5mm) or .246 (6mm). You also can get stiffer spined shafts with lighter GPI on .166 shafts which can help with adding point weight to up your FOC. I switched from Axis arrows to Axis Long Range arrows and noticed a significant difference in down range accuracy and consistency because of being able to drop from a 300 spine to a 250 and adding an additional 50 grains up front. To say there is no difference between the diameter size of arrows is silly. Go shoot the three different standard hunting shaft diameters in a heavy cross wind with the same vanes and you’ll notice the .166 performing better. As for penetration, less surface area on a .166, so there will be less friction.

27-Mar-24
My wind always blows straight to the deer so I never noticed much drift ;)

27-Mar-24

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
Here’s some interesting data that is very relative to how a “light” and “fast” arrow loses speed (and that affect, KE) so much faster than a heavier arrow.

I’ll say it again - an arrow isn’t heavy if it’s shot fast. Two arrows going the same FPS at launch but weighing different grains act differently down range and when hitting an animal.

27-Mar-24
I’m sending EMS to wills house immediately…..something’s not right. He just admitted to wanting to upgrade his 82nd airborne bow that’s older than his children combined and killed more deer than many have even seen alive!! :)

01-Apr-24

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
A dozen fresh Easton Sonic 6.0. Regular .003 straightness. 8 out of 12 needed to be cut from both ends to get the straightest shaft possible. Fletched with 4 AAE hybrid 2.0 vanes. 50 grain break off inserts glued in with Easton 2 part epoxy. Total arrow weight is 444 grains with 100 grain heads. These are my hybrid arrows. I’ll keep 100 grain heads for all my 3D tournaments and Total Archery Challenge. I will go to a 125 grain expandable and either 3 fletch AAE Hybrid 26 or a 4 fletch Hybrid 23 for archery antelope here in Montana.

02-Apr-24
nice

02-Apr-24
Coondog - LOVE the blue fletch - those things look awesome!!! nice builds!

MAPA - I woke up, I'm better now :)... As with my tweed coat, some things age well bahhhhh ha ha!

02-Apr-24
No need to retire the old bowtechs.

02-Apr-24
Hahahahahh. Slick arrows coon

07-Apr-24

Coondog's embedded Photo
Easton Axis Long Range
Coondog's embedded Photo
Easton Axis Long Range
Coondog's embedded Photo
Four fletch with a right helical
Coondog's embedded Photo
Four fletch with a right helical
Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Some fresh arrows for spring bear.

08-Apr-24
Look good Coon!

08-Apr-24

Coondog's embedded Photo
Bullet hole
Coondog's embedded Photo
Bullet hole
Took five shots after some micro adjustments… perfect.

08-Apr-24
^must be a rookie

;) kidding brother! Lookin good!

• Sitka Gear