Sitka Gear
Sheds
New York
Contributors to this thread:
8point 26-Mar-24
SaddleReaper 02-Apr-24
26-Mar-24
Anyone finding sheds? All I've ever found in the 27 years on my property were 2 dinks and one right side with 6 good points. My neighbor picked one side of an nice 8 point this year. They've been watching him since season ended.

02-Apr-24
About 70 so far this year, but I also have access to 1000s of acres in a few counties and gain more each year. I don't just shed hunt on property I can deer hunt. I have knocked on far far more doors for shed hunting permission than deer etc., and usually half the time the answer is sure go ahead.

You could spend a lifetime looking for sheds in the wrong spots; which maybe doesn't matter if you simply enjoy searching and getting to know your woods. That's certainly worthwhile doing as it is. If you truly want to find a lot of sheds you need to treat it like hunting and scout the deer post season, find wintering groups, pay attention to crop rotations, and knock on doors accordingly.

I will also say this... I would trade nearly all the sheds I've found this year if I could match a few of the bucks I am looking for. I was beat to some I think, and others I just can't seem to locate. I like having the prior years sheds to go with the buck, if I am lucky enough to connect down the road. It seldom seems to go that way though.

• Sitka Gear