WOW x 2!!

08-Dec-15
Better man than me...I would've bailed!

08-Dec-15
I love workhorse warbirds!

B-52's, C-130's, and the A-10.

08-Dec-15
Me, too, Kyle.

I wish they had had triple redundancy in the P-47...my dad's brother rode one that caught fire into the ground on a training flight to avoid hitting homes in CT on his 21st birthday.

08-Dec-15
Holy cow, my father-in-law was in that video! The guy talking about how the A-10 was basically a "flying tank" is Jeffrey Ethell, noted aviation history author, pilot, and also, my wife's father:) Cool video.

On a side note, I got to go up with Jeff in a P-51 Mustang once in Virginia for about 10 minutes when I was 18. It was the plane he flew at a lot of air shows every Summer. A plane ride I'll never forget.

08-Dec-15
Now THAT'S cool, Joshuaf!

08-Dec-15

joshuaf's embedded Photo
joshuaf's embedded Photo
"Now THAT'S cool, Joshuaf"

Got a picture of me and him by the plane somewhere, but don't have it scanned in. Here's a pic of him flying the same Mustang he took me up in, over the Arizona desert. He didn't own the plane, a friend of his did, but Jeff did most of the flying. The name on the nose said "Nervous Energy IV".

08-Dec-15
Wow, and Wow! If they guys using them still want them, we should still be making them, not phasing them out.

Unfortunately, we are making billion dollar planes to fight $1000 enemies.

08-Dec-15
I saw some Warthogs today while I was deer hunting. By air Dover AFB is close to my house and the Warthogs play around my area all the time. They are a big gun with armour around it. I remember one being shot down by a single bullet from an AK 47. They said that bullet was the golden BB since they are tough planes.

08-Dec-15
That's really cool Spike , got to wonder why they would want to mouth ball the A10.

08-Dec-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
I'd love to get up in a P-51. Talk about power!

I did get up in a MIG 15 a number of years ago and even got some stick time, which was pretty cool!

08-Dec-15
".....got to wonder why they would want to mouth ball the A10."

Age, I suppose. That video is dated 1991.

08-Dec-15
Can you imagine what an A10 could do to an isis camp. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVT all gone.

08-Dec-15
Pat C.,

Better yet, an entire squadron or three of B-52's!

08-Dec-15
I sent this video to my secretary's husband, who is a retired Raychem executive.

Here's his reply. Some cool information for sure!

"Raychem was selected by Fairchild-Republic as the supplier for the gas seals of 30 mm GAU 8 shells used in the Warthog, and the target acquisition avionics primary insulation cabling.

The shells were 30 mm depleted Uranium projectiles, and obviously very dense, to penetrate tank bulkheads. The gas seals were based on a Raychem proprietary high polymer.

I had a model of the A-10 in my office for many years along with the F-16, F14, and F-18, all ships on which we had significant products deployed."

08-Dec-15
Those Raychem people make everything, we us to get Raychem connectors for cable tv.

08-Dec-15
South Farm,

"Better man than me...I would've bailed!"

Never, ever, ever, bail out unless you've lost control of your aircraft.

NEVER!

08-Dec-15
Gee...I dunno Kyle, first you pose with Hapless Harry Reid, and now you're flying enemy planes!

Gotta keep an eye on you.......

10-Dec-15
An A-10 fact. If they could hold the trigger long enough and have enough ammo, the recoil from the cannon could bring the A-10 to a stop at full throttle.

In the design phase, the gasses from the firing cannon would actually stall out the engines. Don't remember what they had to do to fix that problem.

In one pass, that cannon can put the equivalent of one bullet in every square foot of a football field. I think that's the correct analogy I read.

The plane was actually designed and built around the cannon. Not like most where the cannon is added to the plane.

10-Dec-15
Hunting5555,

That's cool information.

"Let's build a cannon that flies!" lol

10-Dec-15
The pilot sits in a heavy steel bathtub. I don't remember the caliber it can handle, but it is amazing the protection the pilot has.

The plane is actually an ugly duckling, but once you understand the facts of the plane and its abilities, it has a beauty all her own.

11-Dec-15
My father worked on the A-10 when he was employed at Fairchild Republic on Long Island.

11-Dec-15

HA/KS's Link
Another amazing plane/story "Good Old 666"

" And that strategic bet at the cost of much blood and steel would earn two of its crew the Medal of Honor and the rest the Distinguished Service Cross. This is the tale of the most heavily armed B-17 of the Pacific Theatre who took on 17 Japanese fighters alone and limped home victorious.'

12-Dec-15
I posted a story about a WWII pilot who shot down a Japanese Zero with his 1911 on my Mouse Droppings: History thread.

Just came across this one:

A Partial Ejection And Miracle At Sea

Any mishap involving an airplane is bad, but there are some that are born in of the bowels of Murphy’s darkest, cruelest imaginations. This is certainly one of those, and truly a story for the ages.

On 9 July 1991, the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln was at sea, transiting the Indian Ocean on its way to the Persian Gulf when one of the most freakish accidents in Naval Aviation history occurred. A Grumman KA-6D Intruder from VA-95 was at a stage of flight known by tanker crews as “mid-cycle” when it developed a problem: one of the drop tanks feeding the refueling system had stopped transferring gas, even though approximately a thousand pounds remained in the tank.

The pilot, Lieutenant Mark Baden, discussed the issue with his Bombardier/Navigator, Lieutenant Keith Gallagher. They two agreed that perhaps adding some positive and negative G onto the airframe would coax the tank back into transferring fuel properly. Nothing crazy–just a little jostling.

A Grumman KA-6D Intruder from VA-145, configured specifically as a refueling tanker for other Navy aircraft. (Photo courtesy of Photobucket)

It was when Baden gently pushed the nose over and got approximately half a negative G–just enough to “float [him] in the seat,” he heard a loud bang and the cockpit instantly depressurized. He expected to find a gap between the canopy and windscreen, but there was none, and as he glanced over at the B/N, everything changed.

In Baden’s own words, here’s what he saw:

,b>“My scan continued right. Instead of meeting my B/N’s questioning glance, I saw a pair of legs at my eye level. The right side of the canopy was shattered. I followed the legs up and saw the rest of my B/N’s body out in the windblast. I watched as his head snapped down and then back up, and his helmet and oxygen mask disappeared. They didn’t fly off; they just disappeared.”

The front view of the Intruder as Baden touches down. Note the jagged plexiglass in front of the unconscious Lieutenant Gallagher. (US Navy Photo)

Aware of that horrific possibility, Baden formulated a plan for his approach: settle low over the fantail–lower than what was normally prudent, snag the first wire, and keep the nosewheel off the deck as long as possible during the deceleration to keep his B/N from getting skewered.

Miraculously, the plan worked as the Intruder snagged the first wire, bringing the jet mercifully to a stop. Baden shut down the aircraft’s engines, then set about safing Gallagher’s seat as best he could, and also releasing the man from the fittings on the parachute harness. It was at that moment when Gallagher regained consciousness and asked, “Am I on the flight deck?”

So what began as a normal tanker sortie exploded into chaos and panic, but ultimately ended in a series of miracles. Baden received an Air Medal for his heroic efforts to save his friend’s life and successfully returning the jet to the flight deck less than six minutes after the initial catastrophic event. Baden is now a Captain for United Airlines.

So here’s a breakdown of what happened to cause the problem in the first place.

The Martin-Baker ejection seat in the Intruder is held in place by something called the “Top Latch Mechanism.” It is comprised of a spring-loaded plunger which, when locked, extends through a window in a tab at the top of a component called the ejection gun. That part, in turn, is mounted to the cockpit structure. Basically, the Top Latch Mechanism is the only thing keeping the seat in the jet. Under normal operating conditions, the mechanism is locked by spring pressure; the firing of the ejection gun–accomplished when the seat’s occupant pulls the handle to eject–presses the plunger from the window, allowing the seat to depart the aircraft in its prescribed fashion.

Still with me?? Okay, good. Here’s where it gets scary.

In the case of Gallagher’s seat, the metal in the window had fatigued to the point where it actually cracked, most likely because of repetitive stress of the combined weight of the seat and its occupant(s) over the years during increased G loads–especially negative. So when Baden loaded up the aircraft with first positive G, and then negative, it simply met its limit because of the crack…and let go completely. The negative G actually allowed Gallagher’s seat to move far enough up the rails that it activated the ejection sequence due to inertia–not by anyone deliberately activating the mechanism.

Holy. Smokes.

So in the back of the seat, there are two rods that actuate the timer mechanisms that come into play during a standard ejection sequence. Both of those mechanisms are activated when the ejection gun portion is fired, sending the seat up the rails. One of the control rods governs the drogue parachute’s deployment and the firing of the rocket motor under the seat to finish getting the crewman out of the airplane. The other rod dictates when the harness release occurs and the main parachute deploys. Again, both of those functions are completely automatic as a part of the ejection sequence.

If you can imagine, as far as the seat was concerned, Gallagher had ejected out of the aircraft–so those automatic functions came into play and all was well…except for the fact the seat didn’t move far enough for the rocket motor to fire. In fact, the seat initially moved far enough that it cracked the canopy and caused the structural failure, then as the other components activated, he got pushed even further out of the aircraft. So with both of the control rods activated, he was effectively released from his seat, and the main canopy deployed. The parachute promptly got blown out into the slipstream above the airplane, and wrapped itself around the tail of the aircraft, promptly locking Gallagher into place, seat half-out of the jet. Thankfully, the chute was pulled tight enough to keep the man in place, but not tight enough to bind the flight controls on the horizontal or vertical stabilizers. No small miracle there.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, due to the immediate loss of his helmet and oxygen mask, Gallagher was no longer able to breathe because of the air crashing into his lungs at over two hundred knots. Baden immediately rolled the throttles back to idle and deployed the aircraft’s speedbrakes, knowing full well if he didn’t, the air pressure and flailing would kill his partner. Baden declared the emergency over the radio and requested an immediate return to the ship, which was approximately seven miles away at that point. The response from the Air Boss was immediate and in the affirmative, so Baden began his approach. Another look at Gallagher told him the man was unconscious and possibly even dead, which made an incredibly dire situation even worse.

Baden had to be careful to keep the aircraft slow–just above stall speed in its dirty (gear and flaps down, tailhook extended, and speedbrakes deployed) configuration as he made his return, which meant he had to manage his sink rate and power in such a way to keep the jet flying, but not so fast it would punish Gallagher even more severely than it already was. Also, the section of canopy that had failed left behind a jagged, sawtooth edge of plexiglass, aimed at Gallagher’s torso like Roman spears poised to impale him.

Lieutenant Gallagher was severely injured, but none of the damage to his body (his right arm and shoulder especially) was permanently debilitating. In fact, he returned to flight status six months to the day later. Also out of the Navy, Gallagher lives in the southeastern United States and works in the telecommunication industry. A more detailed account, told by the men involved in the incident and its aftermath, can be found here.

So tell us, Bremont, did Gallagher get a watch for this one?!?!

• Sitka Gear