NvaGvUp 19-Dec-16
mn_archer 19-Dec-16
NvaGvUp 19-Dec-16
NvaGvUp 19-Dec-16
mn_archer 19-Dec-16
NvaGvUp 19-Dec-16
NvaGvUp 14-Mar-17
06-Dec-16
Guys, most of you probably don't know Joe Rarey from Washington but he used to post here under the name steve_jo.

Back in 2009 him, nva_gv_up, and I went to Idaho elk hunting together.

Check out my link, we need to help this family. For him to ask for help tells me that things are bad, really bad.

Thank you

Michael

https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-rareys-battle-ptsd

06-Dec-16
Yikes! I had no idea.

Joe not only hunted with us in Idaho in 2009, he also crewed for me when I came out of retirement in 2008 and ran the White River 50 Ultra. That's where I first met him.

The guy is a total stud! I mean, he hunted his tail off every single day from before dawn until after dusk. And as you recall, he did so wearing those Five Fingers shoes and SHORTS!

How did you hear about this, Michael?

I'll go to your link and contribute for sure.

I hope others here will do the same.

Joe's not only a Bowsiter, he's also a veteran. So that's two great reasons to help!

06-Dec-16
Chipped in Michael, prayers for Joe and his family.

06-Dec-16
Guys, I really appreciate it, I really do. Joe is definitely one of the good guys and he needs our help.

Thanks for your support and please feel free to share this anyplace you can, with anyone you know.

Kyle, we've kept in touch snice idaho. I have to go pick up my daughter but I'll send you a pm tonight and fill you in.

Kyle is right, joe is one tough man, and for him to ask for help is very telling. He needs us right now.

Thanks again guys

Michael

06-Dec-16
As Kyle said Joe was a veteran of the US Navy, he served on a flight crew. I don't know what kind of plane he was on but it had a crew of 14 so must have been pretty large

I have this on my Facebook page so if any of you are on there feel free to share it.

Kyle, Brian, and Mark- thanks guys for the support

06-Dec-16
Let's get on board, everyone!

Bowsiters have a great history of stepping up when one of us needs help.

06-Dec-16
Almost 10% of goal already and Michael just kicked this off a few hours ago.

C'mon, guys. If more of us chip in, we'll make the goal!

06-Dec-16
I did my little part too. I remember that thread well and was wondering where Steve Jo had been just the other day.

06-Dec-16
Thanks to all who have donated so far!

I'll see how this goes and if it looks like the goal will fall short, I may well offer a matching challenge.

06-Dec-16
Great cause, happy to contribute what I can.

Semper fi,

Mike

06-Dec-16
Bowsiters are rocking!

$1,350 in just seven hours and the last several donations are @ $50 plus!

Keep it going, Bowsiters!

Well done, Michael!

06-Dec-16
Now at $1,450 in just eight hours!

06-Dec-16
this is really awesome guys, I really appreciate it.

Kyle, pm inbound.

thanks again

michael

06-Dec-16
Whoa!

Now at @ $2,000!

Thank you all and esp. Rocky!

Keep it up, team!

Let's hit the goal just from Bowsiters!

06-Dec-16
Rocky, I literally broke into tears. Both you and Kyle- you guys are the best.

thanks again guys. I imagine these things start to taper off on the donations pretty quickly after the first few days to its important we get as many shares on social media as possible. Thanks again guys

michael

06-Dec-16
Michael,

Thanks, but it's no big deal.

Cowboy Ethics, Rule # 4: "Do what has to be done."

This has to be done!

06-Dec-16
So tonight at dinner my wife and I were talking about this, and wondering if we should bring it up to our pastor. The church we go to has a few very wealthy people who also attend it, and they are extremely generous people. Anyway our son Charlie, who is 6 said he wanted to send some of his toys to their son Thomas, who is a few months younger than Charlie.

We told him they don't need any toys right now, they really need money. After dinner he came out of his room with his piggy bank and asked if I would mail it to them. Im really not an emotional person typically but it really got to me. This has been a pretty crazy day. He counted it out and he had just under $45 in his piggy bank.

Sometimes kids are listening

michael

06-Dec-16
Michael,

Children bring out the best in us.

The Rock

07-Dec-16
Ok fellas, something very unexpected happened this evening. TSI (Dave Cole) from Trophy Safaris International in New Brunswick, Canada contacted me with an offer. He is a Bowsite sponsor and he said he would be willing to donate a Black Bear hunt at his place in New Brunswick, that we could auction off to the highest bidder right here on Bowsite.com!

Dave will personally cover the cost of the license, so the winner only needs to get to his place in New Brunswick. Here is his website... http://www.safarisinternational.com Dave is allowing the winner to choose either spring or fall, but there obviously needs to be an opening the week the winner chooses.

Let me get the information together tomorrow am and sometime tomorrow ill make a post on the Bear forum and also link it to the community forum.

Once again Bowsiters are coming through for other Bowsiters. Dave (TSI), thank you so much and we will be in touch.

By the way, ill post an update tomorrow on the go fund me page, but I spoke with Ann Marie (Joe's wife) an hour ago. He is pretty overwhelmed right now but they are both unbelievably grateful for your generosity and compassion. I also was able to get her full access to the funds in the account tonight. If a couple days they will have this money deposited into their account.

Stay tuned for more updates and keep sharing the page. Also, if you have been thinking about a big black bear, I know of a hunt just for you.....

thanks guys!

michael

07-Dec-16
Man, that's awesome!

Well done, TSI!

07-Dec-16
Michael,

Tell Charlie his amazing generosity inspired me to match his donation on a $2 for $1 basis. Just like that, his $45 is now $135.

Dang fine young man you've got there, my friend!

07-Dec-16
Thanks Kyle. He is a great kid and I have very hi hopes for him. At 6 years old he has been the only kid in his school to get over 90% awards on both his reading and math in the same year- and he has done it 2 years in a row. He now reads at an 8th grade level according to his 1st grade teacher. He is much smarter than I every was.

I'm working Pete Hegseth to get the Rareys some national exposure. Pete is a Fox News contributor and is in the running for Secretary of the Veterans Administration. He is also a fellow Minnesota guy. One of the few to survive not 1 but 2 ivy league schools and come out a stronger conservative

07-Dec-16
Okay some of you, especially Kyle, have been much more involved in benefit auctions and stuff like this than I have been.

Before we get this kicked off it would be very much appreciated if some of you would offer some advice. I don't want to run this half-assed and only generate a few hundred dollars.

We will bring the action here on Bowsite because it's very fitting. I met Joe because of this site and TSI is a sponsor of this site.

Some things I'm unsure of would be how long to run the auction. I was thinking a week maybe ten days or something like that to give everybody time to let their buddies know. I was hoping that we could get started this weekend to get it moving as quickly as possible Maybe started this coming Saturday and ended the following Sunday or something to give it a little over a full week to run.

What do you guys think?

Michael

07-Dec-16
It'll bring more than a couple of hundred. I imagine Pat or Charlie would have to weigh in on the auction.

07-Dec-16
I asked Pat last might and he said go for it.

07-Dec-16
I keep getting an error message 502 bad getaway

07-Dec-16
TSI, Kyle and all others. These are the times that matter.

The Rock

07-Dec-16
Michael,

You definitely want to announce a start and end time and date. Two weeks would be about right.

As the clock runs down, create a sense of urgency.

Get a good description of the hunt, with good photos.

Market it to appeal not just to the hunter in all of us, but to our hearts as well.

'Bowsite Benefit Bear Hunt' or some such.

Make it easy for the winner to pay! Maybe Pat could handle that part via Bowsite.

07-Dec-16
Michael, you might want to post this on the main forum if that's kosher with Pat. A lot more traffic there than the CF.

07-Dec-16
Michael,

I don't do Facebook, but I did just send out an e-mail plea to twenty-something friends, many of whom are veterans and most of whom are financially quite successful.

07-Dec-16
Guys,

In case anyone else is thinking of it I'm going to put this out there. One very generous Bowsiter who wishes to remain anonymous thought they would bid on the hunt, and if they won actually send Joe in their place.

I asked his wife her thoughts and she said he has a lot of anxiety and hasn't touched his bow in over 6 months. She doesn't think it would be healthy for him at this time.

Just a FYI in case anyone else was thinking the same.

Yes, I'm thinking we would run this o the bear forum, and I would put a post on the other forums as well.

I'm finishing up the interior of my new shop today and I need to get the shelves up today but tonight I'll be in touch with TSI to make sure I get a very accurate description of what this hunt is. I obviously don't want to describe it wrong.

We will get it started Saturday am, and I will bring it to the top daily. One concern might be that there could potentially be so much traffic to the thread that individual bids could potentially get lost in all of the posts. I was thinking that potentially I could just have the bids private messaged to me because I've had a few people already contact me and say they might want to remain anonymous, and I would just edit the very first post as the bids came in. I don't know, that might be confusing to some. I need this to run as smooth as possible so the only attention is on raising as much money as possible.

As far as paying, I'm thinking a personal check straight to the Rareys would be the easiest, and most efficient. If the winner was someone who wished to remain anonymous they could send the check to me, I could convert it to a bank check or something like that and forward it. If we chose that I would want one other person involved such as Pat just for transperancy purposes.

One other thing, if we started Saturday and run it for 2 weeks it would end on Christmas Eve.

Michael

07-Dec-16
Thank you so much Kyle. at times I wish I didn't do Facebook too it's kind of a pain in the butt but for times like this you can reach a lot of people quickly. I have a little over 1,300 Facebook friends and hopefully some more of them step up pretty quickly for Joe.

07-Dec-16
Michael,

Be sure to use that photo of Joe and his family in promoting the hunt.

07-Dec-16
To the Rarey family Trophy Safaris NB makes a gift of a complimentary bear hunt at our camp inNew Brunswick.we are committed to provide at no expense a full service hunt including license to the winner of the Bowsite hosted auction.We thank Pat for allowing the auction to take place here and hope all will be generous as always,reminding everyone that a bid can be a gift as well regardless of the amount.We also pledge that should someone wish to send Mr rarey as a gift we would offer a second complimentary hunt so Mr Rarey could travel with a companion,should he wish too.It is a stressful time of year for many especially those in need and we are proud to know that we can make a direct difference in a families Life with a simple gesture.Lets make this a gift from Bowsite and the Bowsiters bid and donate what you can,Thankyou Bowsite and Merry Christmas to everyone,let's make a difference one family at a time.

07-Dec-16
Dave,

Your generosity with this is overwhelming and inspirational.

Well done!

07-Dec-16
Finally got thru to the website so it's working again.

David, when I do book my first bear hunt in the future I'll make sure it is with you guys.

07-Dec-16
I didn't know it was down Jeff, how long was it down?

Thanks for the donation.

Dave, I mentioned to Joes wife about the second hunt and she was pretty excited and hoped there was some way he was better by the time the hunt comes up. She said to make sure you know how appreciative they all are, and that Joe is nauseous since yesterday and in disbelief at just how generous you all are.

If he is able to go I will cover his travel expenses

07-Dec-16
There's no set timeline so let's hope that with things to look forward too that over Christmas there's plenty of smiles to go around.

07-Dec-16
I don't know how long, checked it an hour later and didn't have a problem. I put it on my facebook page so hopefully it gets around and we can reach the goal.

07-Dec-16

mn_archer's embedded Photo
I took this picture of Joe in 2009 right as we got to our trucks from a 9 day elk hunt in Idaho. it was me, Joe, and NvaGvUp
I took this picture of Joe in 2009 right as we got to our trucks from a 9 day elk hunt in Idaho. it was me, Joe, and NvaGvUp
When I think of Joe, this is what I imagine. He is an amazing father and here he is with his son Thomas's very first fish!
When I think of Joe, this is what I imagine. He is an amazing father and here he is with his son Thomas's very first fish!
Joe and Thomas checking the water temp...
Joe and Thomas checking the water temp...
Joes passion in hunting is late season whitetails in Washington- he has taken some really nice bucks there. Here he is on the right, with his hunting buddy Donn Moyer. Donn isn't a member here- yet
Joes passion in hunting is late season whitetails in Washington- he has taken some really nice bucks there. Here he is on the right, with his hunting buddy Donn Moyer. Donn isn't a member here- yet
So I thought you all might appreciate a picture of the family you are all helping-

07-Dec-16

This is Joe and their Daughter Maggie in their back yard when they lived in Arizona
This is Joe and their Daughter Maggie in their back yard when they lived in Arizona
This is Joes wife Ann Marie with her best late season whitetail- she is an amazing woman
This is Joes wife Ann Marie with her best late season whitetail- she is an amazing woman
NvaGvUp mentioned something about Joe wearing weird shoes elk hunting. Here they are- I kid you not this is what he wore on our elk hunt, and he swore by them!
NvaGvUp mentioned something about Joe wearing weird shoes elk hunting. Here they are- I kid you not this is what he wore on our elk hunt, and he swore by them!
Here he is back in 1988!
Here he is back in 1988!
Here are a couple more

07-Dec-16
$2,445 and counting, but not counting Dave's incredible hunt donation.

I'd expect that donation to go for over $2,000 at the auction and now that he's making it for two hunters if Joe himself can go, perhaps a lot more.

07-Dec-16
TSI,

Your post has to be one of the most humbling moments in my almost 20 years on the Bowsite. You have captured perfectly the spirit of Christmas and are the embodiment of class.

Kudos, sir, and God bless!

07-Dec-16
Unbeleivable generosity here. The benevolence is truly humbling.

07-Dec-16
Another $400 just came via a new donor.

$2,845 and counting!

07-Dec-16

07-Dec-16
I was getting ready for bed and checked the site and seen we were $35 short of $3,000. I was telling my wife that I was really hoping we would hit $2500 before bedtime, but now I was hoping that extra $35 would come in to push it to 3k.

I didn't know she had already went on and sent the $35- it just hadn't shown up yet! #bestwifeever

$3,000 in less than 2 days guys- thank you so much!

michael

08-Dec-16
Just looked and we are close to $3500. James

08-Dec-16
James,

I can't thank you enough. I don't know if any of the Bowsite donors other than NvaGvUp and I have ever even had a conversation with Joe here, so to see so many "strangers" help him in such a big way is truly touching. You guys are the best.

Thanks again to Pat for letting us do this here, and a Yuuuuuge thanks to Dave Cole, Bowsites very own TSI for donating not 1, but potentially 2 bear hunts and allowing this to be a reality. It should be noted that I did not contact TSI and ask him to donate anything, this was his idea 100%!

I'm going to be working on the bear hunt auction tonight. The auction will start this Saturday at 7 am central time, and I will end it SHARPLY AT 10 pm central time Christmas Eve December 24th.

I will notify the winner at that time.

Any information you could possibly need for this auction, all rules, and a running tally of all bids will be posted in the very first post of the thread. The thread will be posted on the bear forum, but I guarantee you that I will make sure the community and other forums are informed of the auction.

Any bidders and potential winners who wish to remain anonymous will have that ability as well.

Please conside this opportunity to help out the Rarey family.

Thanks again to everyone for making this happen

Michael

08-Dec-16
Michael,

Thanks for explaining that $35. I saw that this morning and couldn't figure out how she came up with that amount.

08-Dec-16
Michael.

For bidders who wish to remain anonymous, PMs are a good idea. For others, let them post here. That would be a lot more timely way of letting guys see where the bid's at. If you go the PM route for all bids, we won't know how things are going until you have time to catch up and post.

Just my $.02

08-Dec-16
That was exactly my idea for the anonymous and non bowsite bids. I'm going to post this on my Facebook page as well as send it to Joe's sister, father, and friends to share with whom they can. I'll post any bids that come in off bowsite or via pm asap but there will obviously be a little lag time

08-Dec-16
You could also post a link on FB or wherever to the Bowsite thread where the bidding is being conducted. They'd have to register of course, but surely some of them wouldn't have a problem with that. If they didn't want to register, they could simply send you their bids elsewhere. That would allow non-Bowsiters to bid directly here, saving you the hassle.

08-Dec-16
That's the plan

08-Dec-16
I have to say my mega kudos to TSI, as well. Outstanding, sir.

08-Dec-16
Per my post on a new thread on the general forum:

"It seems the GoFundMe effort Michael started two days ago has stalled out.

It's stuck on $3,400 and has been since early this morning. Yet $10,000 is what's needed!

So here's my challenge to my fellow Bowsiters:

It's a few minutes after 2:00 PM PST right now. Until 2:00 PM PST tomorrow afternoon, I'll match $.50 on the dollar if Bowsiters donate enough to hit the $5,000 mark.

So if you guys get the Raley GoFundMe total so it hits the $5,000 mark due to YOU GUYS kicking in another $1,600, I'll add $800 on top of that.

This challenge applies only to donations made by my fellow Bowsiters. So when you donate, please include your Bowsite screenname so I can confirm you are a Bowsiter.

EDIT: If you want to donate and remain anonymous, that's OK. But please PM me so I know. I will not disclose the source.

Let's get 'er done!

08-Dec-16

itshot's Link
easier link

09-Dec-16
Donation and prayers sent. Steve Jo had some great threads on here!

09-Dec-16
Thanks again guys, this is helping them out tremendously-

Michael

09-Dec-16
Six hours left on my challenge!

Let's get 'er done.

Make me pay!

09-Dec-16
WOW!!!!!

An anonymous donor just laid a cool $1,000 on the table. I can't tell if the donor is a Bowsiter or not, but who cares? Certainly not the Rarey family!

So now we're over $5,000

09-Dec-16
Kyle, the anonymous don or contacted me and wishes to remain anonymous. I can say that this person is in fact a Bowsite member. But that's it.

Again, to all of you I am so thankful

Michael

09-Dec-16
Michael,

That's all I needed to know. My Match has been made and we're now almost at $6,000!

09-Dec-16
$6,517 right now. There are I believe 2 names on there I don't recognize so if those people are from here, I am truly humbled by your generosity for someone you potentially have not heard of before thus week.

To say America isn't great already would be a mistake. You all make it the greatest place on earth!

Thank you so much

Michael

09-Dec-16
Double WOW!

Another $500 donation just showed up!

That's over $3,000 since yesterday afternoon!

09-Dec-16
So just a quick update...

Go fund me started emailing me evert hour last night due to the level of support from you guys. I now get the hourly update from them.

When I set this up a few days ago I'd hoped and prayed that eventually we could reach 10k, but honestly I thought it was going to take me a month or so and a ton of work.

In just a few days we are $3400 from my initial goal. The most wonderful donation from TSI is going to be very special. I've gotten multiple questions and comments via pm that make me think we will have some good news for the Rareys on Christmas morning

Thanks again

Michael

09-Dec-16
Michael,

What would be very cool would be to raise over $10,000 on GoFundMe alone, with the bear hunt auction being on top of that!

09-Dec-16
I'm sure now the bow site members will surpass the goal maybe by a lot and. Christmas will indeed be one of happiness for this family,more important is that we keep the trend going and showing others that the bow site members,sponsors and owner and staff are truly the most generous and caring community on the Internet.

09-Dec-16
Well said, Dave.

I hope you're right on both counts.

Hunters tend to be conservatives and there is strong evidence conservatives give far more than do others.

09-Dec-16
You guys are certainly very generous and should be commended. I only know Joe from his previous posts. I'd still like to say thank you for your efforts. Merry Christmas brothers.

09-Dec-16
$6,702 and counting in less than three days!

Less than 1/3 of the way to go. Let's finish this!

10-Dec-16
the auction is up fellas-

bid early, bid often!

I'll update it as often as possible if anonymous bids come in and share with the other bowsite forums as well. Today is my wifes 38th birthday so I have to run to the store so I can make a birthday breakfast!

Feel free to share this with anyone and everyone who might be interested, know someone who might be interested, or know someone who might know someone who might be interested...

michael

10-Dec-16

NvaGvUp's Link
Bid at the link!

10-Dec-16

I CANT GET THE PICTURES TO LOAD ON THE AUCTION PAGE...

10-Dec-16
Thanks for the heads up on forgetting the bear pictures Kyle. I couldn't get them to load in the 2nd post, I had to add another new post. Not sure what was wrong, but they are there now.

Lineman21 is in the lead with $1000

10-Dec-16
$1,500 already! You guys are the best. Im taking my kids out to meet Santa Claus here very soon, but ill be wondering what is happening here!

michael

10-Dec-16
ttt

10-Dec-16
Kyle and Mike, donation complete. Thanks for posting. My best, Paul

10-Dec-16
Thanks Paul, very much appreciated

11-Dec-16

itshot's Link
TtT

11-Dec-16
$7,500!!! 3/4 of the way there. I was truly praying that we could be here by tonight and it's not even 2pm and you guys got it done.

I am truly grateful guys

Thanks again

Michael

12-Dec-16
ttt

12-Dec-16
Just got another email from GFM. We are a scant $170 short of $8,000. We will hopefully get there today.

I expected a natural tapering off of contributions, but thanks to you all they are still steadily rolling in. With a little luck and your great generosity I'm praying that we can take in $500 per day to reach my original goal on or by Friday.

The bear hunt auction is going awesome and some great bids came in yesterday. At last look I believe it was at $2,600. Thanks to all the bidders and a huge thanks to TSI.

NvaGvUp has also been awesome in all of this, and without your efforts Kyle this goal might not have been a reality. I don't know what to say other than thank you.

Michael

12-Dec-16
We're there already.

$8,080!

12-Dec-16
Thank you, Michael. But the credit is all yours. You're the one who thought of this, put it all together and steered it through.

12-Dec-16
Oh man, this is pretty awesome guys. You are truly the best.

Thanks Kyle, just doing what I can do to help a friend

12-Dec-16

Had to come into the office to work on some invoices and I had another email from go fund me. This campaign is trending! Now I guess im not fully aware of exactly what that means, but gfm thought enough of it to notify me.

Also, 83 people contributed a total of $8130 so far- for an average donation of $97.95 each. Of in go fund me terms- about $87.00 more than the average donation!

I couldn't be happier with the support you have shown,

thanks!

michael

12-Dec-16
$8,450!

Thank you, Jake!

12-Dec-16

I just got the milestone notification...

Speechless and my says wife that's impossible

12-Dec-16

double.... I guess you cant delete a picture...

12-Dec-16

triple.....

15-Dec-16
TTT!!!!!!

Only $1,390 to go, guys!

Let's finish the job!

I mean, IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!

16-Dec-16
I agree, just made another donation. Hopefully this will help them during the holidays with one less thing to worry about.

16-Dec-16
Thank you, Jeff!

C'mon, team, let's get this done!

19-Dec-16
$8,845!

Slowly but surely!

19-Dec-16
Hey, ya'll.

Watch this video then CONTRIBUTE! If you already did, great. Even so, contribute again! Please!

I'm in again for the third time, not counting the Toys R Us gift card I sent Joe and Ann Marie

Remember what this is all about!

19-Dec-16
You guys are the best. I was gone for a few days and was wondering how this was going. Thanks so much to you all and a special thanks to Kyle for keeping this going.

ive been in touch with Joe a couple times and I believe he is on the right track.

thanks again, I really appreciate it

michael

19-Dec-16
We're now at $9,550!

WOW!!!!

Let's go, ya'll. Finish the deal!

Christmas spirit and all that!

19-Dec-16
YOWZA, YOWZA, YOWZA!

$10,050 and still going!

You guys are AWESOME.

The goal has been met. Yet the goal was a 'survival' amount. Let's give the Rarey's a bit of a cushion!

19-Dec-16

You guys made my Christmas better than you could ever know!

19-Dec-16
Michael,

"You guys made my Christmas better than you could ever know!"

And it's all because of YOU!

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Well done!

Kyle

14-Mar-17
I missed meeting with Joe and Anne Marie when I was in Seattle last Saturday.

About noon, Ann Marie sent me a nice e-mail saying she'd forgotten about my being there. But the best news is they were tied up moving into an apartment that day, which is a big improvement for them.

Things are looking up!

• Sitka Gear