Glunt@work 07-Sep-17
WV Mountaineer 07-Sep-17
Brotsky 07-Sep-17
HDE 07-Sep-17
Glunt@work 07-Sep-17
HDE 07-Sep-17
07-Sep-17

slade's Link
Not sure of it's viability, but here it is.

Inside the Freedom Caucus' tax plan

The House Freedom Caucus — a group of around 35 ultra-conservative House Republicans who can block their party's leadership on key legislation — is in the final stages of drafting its own tax plan, according to sources familiar with the process.

Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows is expected to unveil his group's tax reform plan in the near future.

But sources familiar with the arrangements have leaked key details in the current draft of the Freedom Caucus plan. (These details haven't yet been formally discussed within the group and therefore aren't set in stone):

Slashes the corporate tax rate from 35% to 16%. Doubles the standard deduction for individuals. Abandons "revenue neutrality," the dogma that tax reform mustn't worsen currently projected deficits.

Instead of raising new sources of money to ensure their tax cuts don't add to deficits, the Freedom Caucus is planning to embrace a non-traditional idea to extend the budget window:

The idea, pushed by some conservatives, including Sen. Pat Toomey, is to change budget rules so that tax cuts that add to the deficit can last for 20 years or longer, rather than expiring after 10 years.

Pushes some form of "welfare reform" (of which I have obtained no details so far.) Why this matters: It's a move designed to unsettle Republican leaders Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, who've been working behind closed doors to craft a tax plan with the White House. The group, known as the "Big Six" — the other members are tax-writing committee chairs Kevin Brady and Orrin Hatch, and administration officials Gary Cohn — has kept the details of their plan incredibly close to their vests.

The Freedom Caucus plan will highlight the fact that Republican leaders and the White House haven't released any details of their tax discussions, beyond the fact that they've killed off a House Republican idea to pay for tax cuts by raising around $1 trillion over 10 years through the so-called "border adjustment tax."

Expect Republican leaders to level the same criticism they've always made about the Freedom Caucus: that these members always move the goalposts to unattainable places and by doing so ensure nothing gets done.

The Freedom Caucus plan is far more ambitious than anything the "Big Six" can realistically achieve. Republican sources who've been briefed on elements of the group's secretive discussions say there's broad acknowledgement that there's zero chance they can get the corporate tax anywhere close to Trump's goal of 15%. In fact, I've yet to speak to an official involved who will confidently assert they can find enough revenue to get the rate below 25%.

"It appears that the whole plan is another example of the Freedom Caucus setting unachievable goals that they know leadership can't deliver rather than trying to make law," says a Republican close to leadership. "It makes me wonder why these guys run for Congress if they don't want to get things done."

07-Sep-17
It's has become taboo to stand up for the right thing. While settling for something under the disguise of being "better than what we had", is the new norm every elected official is now pushing.

For years now liberal and moderate politicians and people have been preaching compromise is the key. Well, we been doing that a long time and the results are not favorable for Americas future.

15% is achievable. Simply force the government to live within their means. I simply can't understand why this principle is being mislabeled and over looked by so many. Common Americans are too dumb and spoiled to know better. They just lap it up and regurgitate it as fact.

I'm so sick of these people. I'm so sick of apathy and ignorance. I am simply ready to erase the board and start again.

07-Sep-17
Instead of withholding income tax, have everyone write a check at tax time and watch support for tax cuts and budget reform grow.

07-Sep-17
^^^^^This^^^^^^

07-Sep-17
That's a great idea Glunt but we know that 65% of Americans wouldn't write the check.

07-Sep-17
^^^ and that's because those 65% will have spent the money and won't have it.

Just increase sales tax, discontinue income tax and be done with it.

That will make everyone pay regardless of age and citizenship...

07-Sep-17
I know. No way the Feds would give up the system they have. They have a good portion of the country looking at income tax as a check they get each Spring.

07-Sep-17
And that's the crux to it all, you get a refund and all that means is you gave them too much. An interest free loan...

• Sitka Gear