Ace 08-Sep-17
bad karma 08-Sep-17
JTV2 08-Sep-17
Keith 08-Sep-17
Salagi 08-Sep-17
Bob H in NH 11-Sep-17
HDE 11-Sep-17
08-Sep-17
Pat: I tried that link and provided them the info they wanted and all it said was that my info "may have" been compromised, so I really don't know any more than I did before. Did I not do it right?

08-Sep-17
I also see that they want you to enroll in yet another "secure" plan they are offering for free (for now). Are they serious???? At this point in time, seeing as almost HALF the population of the United States has been compromised, I'd say trusting Equifax is about like trusting Mexican tap water.

08-Sep-17
And why would you trust them???

08-Sep-17
Me and my wife are lifelock members. Has helped a couple times.

08-Sep-17
If everyone enrolls at once it will probably crash the server. The service will let you know if anyone tampers with your stuff. Your stuff is out there anyway so it can only help.

Thanks Pat...

08-Sep-17
Thanks Pat.

08-Sep-17
Locking SSN means no one can establish a new credit account with that SSN. You have to go through a locking and unlocking process that verifies its you to open a new account.

08-Sep-17

gflight's Link
Another viewpoint....

"Sharp-eyed social media users have combed through the data breach site's fine print — and have found what they argue is a red flag. Buried in the terms of service is language that bars those who enroll in the Equifax checker program from participating in any class-action lawsuits that may arise from the incident. Here's the relevant passage of the terms of service:

AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL."

More at link.

08-Sep-17

I'm hoping that the guy who buys my information on the Dark Web improves my credit score some.

Reminds me of the old joke. One guy says to another, "Somebody stole our credit card". Other guy says: "Did you report it to the police?" First guy replies: "Nah, he spends less than my wife."

08-Sep-17
Thanks, Pat, Whitey and others.

WRT the arbitration clause, you already are under several. If you have a problem with securities, you arbitrate with a SEC arbitrator. Car rental agreements go to arbitration. One I recall has all arbitrations in Phoenix, AZ under the laws of the state of Arizona. Such clauses are common.

Businesses like them because litigation is expensive. Arbitration, with a retired judge, can be faster and cheaper even after paying the cost of the judge.

That works for both sides. A civil lawsuit is not cheap. Spending $50-$100k on legal fees and years to get to hearing isn't for everyone or every problem.

08-Sep-17
Ace, I'm with you, pity the SOB that tries stuff with my info ... they ain't getting crap ... lol

08-Sep-17
I locked with the 3 CC agency's a few years ago when the USPS returned my opened tax return envelope, sans my federal tax returns. All my information was in there. I changed my bank account because I wrote a personal check to cover my taxes, and filed a police report, just in case. I refiled and was late filing taxes that year, but the IRS waived most of the fees because it was my first time being late. It is a nominal cost to lock the accounts, and I have code numbers that I placed in a safe deposit box for when I need to unlock the accounts, if and when I need to apply for credit. I looked into lifelock, but locking the accounts on your own made more sense to me.

The way I have it set up now, it's a pain to unlock any of the accounts, and I believe there is a small charge to unlock the account but it keeps me from opening up any extra credit cards. The only real draw back is when a store offers a deal if you open a store credit card, I end up passing on it because of the hassle of unlocking the accounts,

08-Sep-17
I got a probably not compromised answer when I tried Pat's thread.

Doesn't surprise me, someone stole my ID once. After they looked it over they sent me a hundred dollars and said they'd pray for me. ;)

11-Sep-17
My understanding on this is systems like lifelock catch the theft after it happens and help you clean up the mess.

Locking the SSN, called a credit freeze, needs to be done with each individual credit reporting agency. Vendors (car dealers, banks, etc) will call one of the big three, you need that one locked. So to be safe, you freeze all 3. It might cost a bit and you have to do it each time you freeze it. So if you are "frozen" and then go to buy a car, you have to unfreeze whichever vendor that financing will use, then you re-freeze it, which might cost again.

11-Sep-17
Mine says was not compromised.

• Sitka Gear