Two Feathers 09-Sep-17
sundowner 09-Sep-17
Pi 09-Sep-17
NvaGvUp 09-Sep-17
Pi 09-Sep-17
Owl 10-Sep-17
09-Sep-17
Question for ya'll:

Spike's thread on the Founding Fathers got me to thinking about what particular place I've visited which brings me the closest to our Founding Fathers.

For me, it's the Union Oyster House in Boston. It officially became known as the Union Oyster House in 1826, but the building and it's history dates back to the very founding of our country.

"In 1775, the original store, a dry goods company, became headquarters for Ebenezer Hancock, the first paymaster of the Continental Army. There is no reason to doubt that Washington himself was familiar with its surroundings. At the very spot where diners today enjoy their favorite New England specialties, Federal troops received their "war wages" in the official pay-station.

During the revolution the Adams, Hancock, and Quincy wives, as well as their neighbors, often sat in their stalls of the Capen House sewing and mending clothes for the colonists.

In 1796, a future king of France lived on the second floor. Exiled from his country, he earned his living by teaching French to many of Boston's fashionable young ladies. (Later Louis Phillippe returned home to serve as King from 1830 to 1848.)"

When you visit the place, you'll see the place has the same look as it did back then. The stairs are narrow and steep and the doorways are designed for people a lot shorter than Americans are today.

Just being there gives me the chills, as I vision so many of the Founding Fathers visiting the establishment.

For those who've not been there, it's a must do for your bucket list!

If you walk The Freedom Trail in Boston, which is another must do, you'll arrive at the Union Oyster House just in time for lunch. The food is great and the experience is worth the trip to Boston all by itself.

That's my favorite historical place of our Founding.

What's yours?

09-Sep-17
While I hate the city with every strand of my being it would have to be Philadelphia. Liberty Bell, Washington's crossing are 2 favorites. Lots of little historic markers around and some historic bldgs.

Historic Williamsburg is quite the treat especially when the had the old gunsmith making flintlock rifles from scratch. AWESOME talent.

Not founding fathers but Gettysburg is far and away a great location with unbelievable history preserved.

09-Sep-17
Agree 1000% BTDT

09-Sep-17
I never thought I'd want anything to do with Philadelphia....... until I actually went there after my company relocated our HQ there twenty or so years ago.

The drive in from the airport is not very scenic and a bit depressing, but the part of downtown Philly I've seen has been great.

I've been there three or four times, often staying at the Rittenhouse, going for runs along the river where the crew teams race, then having nice dinners at fine restaurants.

The Liberty Bell and all the other Revolutionary War era places are awesome and inspiring.

Highly recommended!

09-Sep-17

Two Feathers's Link
I would stop and visit Tun Tavern if I was ever in the neighborhood.

09-Sep-17
My favorite is Thomas Jefferson's home, Montecello near Charlottesville, Va. The first time I was there, just walking into Jefferson's study, to actually occupy the same space where the great man worked was awe inspiring......cold chills, as Kyle said. I imagined TJ and Meriwether Lewis sitting in that room, planning the details of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to discover the headwaters of the Missouri River. Some of the furnishings there were actually used by Jefferson. If you get a chance to go there, the do it.

09-Sep-17
I will say the one place that did it for me was my last home. Built in 1790 it is located a mile or so off of the old road to Boston.

This is a spot along the way from anywhere south , that any traveler north had stopped at, on there way to the oyster house I would think. (That is a great place). There is the Woodcock Garrison House / inn , that is very early (17th century I believe ) It was a place that Washington stayed on his trips to and from Boston . It was said that my home was also visited and stayed at by Washington in its early years of existence. Not far from the Inn. Maybe they overbooked the rooms ...

I had found some news clippings in the wall when repairing the siding (Original siding buried under 2 more layers ) that gave account of the war of 1812 from that following spring and again some clippings from 1823. That were amusing and chosen for a reason. No , no greater articles but I looked .

The National Historic society handed me an award for preservation. It was sold as a tear down but I couldn't do that. Believe it or not one family owned it for most of the history and only one other before me. for 17 years. 2 owners and then me in 227 years. Because of the start date (First year with President Washington ) and his visit to the home I felt a great connection to our Founding Father's and the formal beginning with His 1789 start in office. I will say however that I also have deeper roots in American history than that. But that wasn't the topic. (Who is a descendant of the Pilgrims). Deeper still in Europe, English history . Or Perhaps another time under who is descended from a Viking Bad ass. . I have a President in my history , however it is not a great one , F. Pierce . We can let that one slide.

One final piece . I have a chair that was made in 1690 or close to that. When I think of the asses that sat in that chair I am struck with the wonder , if mine is worthy of it.

09-Sep-17
Pi,

Wow! That's incredible!

09-Sep-17
Thanks for saying that, NGU . I feel highly fortunate to exist at this juncture ,of what the past has brought forth. My path in life has been blessed with events that are almost beyond belief. I am humbled . However ,I have a sad feeling that when I am ended , that these amazing events will die with me. Life is incredible ! Maybe a book of stories is in order. Thanks again. - Me

I did save that little piece of American history ... I am satisfied with that.

10-Sep-17
As much as I like Monticello, it has to be Mount Vernon for me.

• Sitka Gear