sleepyhunter 03-Oct-17
Glunt@work 03-Oct-17
BowSniper 03-Oct-17
ben h 03-Oct-17
Thumper 03-Oct-17
Fulldraw1972 03-Oct-17
bad karma 03-Oct-17
03-Oct-17
I'm in the process of buying a suppressor now. I've already completed the paperwork, should get it by Friday. I have a feeling the price for a suppressor is going to increase. It's a shame how quick the left has forgotten about the victims and are now pressing gun control. Ryan is going to lay down and let it happen.

03-Oct-17
They are pretty expensive. I have looked at them and know where to get them installed. I decided against it. You can't actually suppress the sound of a high speed bullet. You can make a sub sonic bullet go pretty quietly though. A suppressor on an AR 15 actually allows a person to pin point where the shot came from more accurately.

03-Oct-17
You ain't kidding they're expensive. They do take a lot of the sound away. I've seen several guys at my shooting range that have them. I'm getting a SilenceCo it will inter change between my Sig 716 and my Remington Sendero 300 win mag.

03-Oct-17
Making it so hard to own suppressors is like requiring a $200 tax and 6 month waiting period to get ear plugs to wear in a factory. The shooter in Vegas would have had no issue legally obtaining suppressor and obviously no issue using an illegally obtained one. They aren't a complicated product and every neighborhood in America probably has a couple guys with the means to put one together. Those that don't can legally buy the components but can't legally combine them or install them on a barrel.

03-Oct-17
Just remember, you need to be subsonic at the muzzle to avoid the sonic crack and perform at its true potential. And that means below about 1050fps. Below 1000 fps is noticeably better still...! Since a .223 is only going to launch somewhere between 55gr - 75gr bullets, at that subsonic speed you will have crap for energy.

With subsonic suppressed its better to increase caliber and launch the heaviest bullet you can field. The .308's can get up to 210-220gr. Love my .458 socom in the 300gr - 500gr range from a standard AR platform. Another reason why the .300 blackout is far more interesting than an ordinary .223 in subsonic suppressed.

03-Oct-17
BowSniper, a friend of mine has a suppressor on his .300 blackout and you're right, at subsonic it's pretty darn quiet. I have shot one on a 5.56 AR-15 and I'd say it's louder than a .22, but not by much with the suppressor, so it's still a significant reduction, but you're right it can't get rid of the sonic crack. I still think it's worth it for reducing noise. I think the AR-15 is actually pretty tough to suppress because it has a pretty short barrel and it's semi-auto. My brother in law bought one for his .308 bolt action long range rifle, but he hasn't got all his paperwork done yet so I haven't heard how that one works yet.

I was listening to a radio program about this yesterday and the $200 tax was established in 1934. If that had say a 4% annual increase that would be like a $5k tax 83 years later. I think when they made the tax in 1934 it was intended so that practically no one would want one and if they did it was only the wealthy.

I'm curious how the states that have decided to tell the feds they don't have the authority to regulate items manufactured within their borders will affect this. I know Utah did this in I believe 2010 or 11, and I think Montana may have as well. In Utah, if it's made in Utah you can just buy these at the store and you don't need to do any of the fed paperwork. It's still a federal crime though, but Utah doesn't care. Sort of like states that have legal marijuana. It's still federally illegal but many states have said "we don't care".

03-Oct-17
"Ryan shelved the bill to legalize noise suppressors."

Ryan did so to keep the bill alive?

03-Oct-17
I know of a few coyote callers that use them. There multiple stand sites have increased considerably since they started using them.

03-Oct-17
We did the same thing with the Colorado concealed weapons bill after Columbine. And it was the right decision. We passed it in a later session, but we could not have done so immediately after the shooting.

• Sitka Gear