Jimbo 05-Nov-17
Rocky 05-Nov-17
WV Mountaineer 05-Nov-17
Woods Walker 05-Nov-17
Rocky 05-Nov-17
Annony Mouse 12-Nov-17
10-Oct-17

Whitey's Link
Millennials won’t know how to carry on with out a video game or an app.

As wall street analysts celebrate the coming of age of the millennial generation, a group of young people who were supposed to lead another revolutionary wave of consumerism if only they could work long enough to escape their parents' basement, retailers like Home Depot are panicked about selling into what will soon be America's largest demographic...but not for the reasons you might think.

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products. As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

10-Oct-17
Hell I just see this as OPPORTUNITY! If you are a millennial with hands on skills just think of all the money you'll make off your peers who don't know how to change a lightbulb, let alone sweat a copper pipe joint.

I know a young man who's still in his 20's who learned how to be a high tech precision welder. He makes over 100K a year and is in CONSTANT demand. He also can pass the drug tests, which is a BIG advantage. So stay straight, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and WORK, and you'll make plenty of money.

11-Oct-17
And now if the young welder can learn how to invest money, he will be set for a good retirement before he hits 60, like as in his 50's...

11-Oct-17
JTV, That was a good one. 8^)))

11-Oct-17
HDE: He's already bought and rehabed a house that he lives in and he also bought a small farm. NOT married yet either.

11-Oct-17
""So they fix things You cant but your Mad they cant fix things you Can??!! Millennial s Rule!!! ""

My 3 yr old granddaughter has better word structure than this clown.

11-Oct-17
That whole NOT married thing (assuming not having a steady long-term relationship or kids) helps a lot in terms of finances. Bought and paid for a house in less than five years before I started a family, yet I still also had money to do as I pleased.

11-Oct-17
This reminds me of a old joke, OLD joke where as two guys are standing on a pick and pump jacks nailing up siding. We called the two guys whatever but today we will call them Millennials. So they are nailing away and one guy looks over and see's his partner take a nail out of his pouch, look at it and throw it away. Then he gets another nail out looks at it and nails it to the siding. This goes on and on for few minutes when his buddy asks him why he was throwing some of the nails away. His buddy responds "somebody put the heads on the wrong side on some of these nails. His buddy buts out laughing and says " you a$$hole, they are for the other side of the wall. On a construction site when I was young this old guy asked me to go to my father and ask him for a sky hook. I got hooked once and cracked once by the old man. I learned the game real fast like filing a bucket of steam.

The Rock

11-Oct-17
Society is getting increasingly specialized. And while that is bad, WW is correct in that it will provide service opportunities. There are plenty of folks who won't trouble to mow 1600 sq feet of grass nowadays. But, that's why landscaping companies abound.

Where it hurts Home Depot, is things that could get done by do-it-yourselfers will go undone because the cost of outsourcing is infeasible monetarily. That and home improvement is elective, after all.

I really feel sorry for the kids that grew up on Xbox with no skills to live on a low income budget. It takes a well-skilled person to makes ends meet on the lower rungs of the income ladder.

11-Oct-17
Rocky your post reminded me of when I started a job at a steel warehouse and got sent around the building looking for the skid stretcher.

11-Oct-17
Good point Owl, but there's an old saying that certainly applies here........

"You're as lazy as you can afford to be."

When the light switch needs replacing and you do NOT have $200+ dollars to pay an electrician to do a 10 minute job, then you figure out how to do it yourself. After a few times of spending any extra cash you had to repair a minor item, you then develop the mindset that if you fix it yourself, it's like "finding" an extra $200 bucks somewhere.

45 years ago my father taught me how to sweat copper pipe joints. That one skill alone has literally saved me THOUSANDS of dollars. I showed my 28 year old daughter how to do it last winter when she was here for a visit and I had to change a valve in the basement.

These kids aren't stupid, they'll figure it out. I did. And on the other side of the coin, youtube is a great place to learn some of this stuff. At the minimum it might save you from being electrocuted!

11-Oct-17
WW, I HATE sweating copper pipe joints!!!!! I'll plumb plastic all day long, but screw copper!!! LOLOL

My friend and I was talking about this same thing a few months ago. Our dad's taught us to fix just about anything. I'm a CPA, but I can do plumbing, wiring, build buildings, work on a engine, stick weld, MIG weld, TIG weld, repair my own computer, etc..... Last time I hired someone to do something was for a water leak. If I had broke the pipe where the leak was, I would have been TOTALLY screwed. Possible $1,000's to fix vs. <$200 and no worries.....

What worries me is my son is nothing like me. While growing up, he had no desire to learn any of these things. I can't help but wonder what he will do when myself and his grandpa are gone....

11-Oct-17
I agree with everything you wrote, WW. Except a faulty light switch is not what I consider elective.

That's an astute observation concerning Youtube. Maybe a self-correcting mechanism within our social structure? The older I get, the more I appreciate society as a singular biological organism.

11-Oct-17
WW, I quite sweating copper pipes years ago. Easier and better use PVC and glue. Replaced all my copper pipes. Also, Shark bite fittings beat the heck out of solder and you don't have to have everything dry.

11-Oct-17
Oh btw, forgot to mention that I am a Millenial (borderline), and when I want to change a light bulb I call up several friends. Between the four of us we usually only have to call our dads once or twice to get it done.

In all seriousness, I have to say I am very grateful for YouTube which allows me to learn my way through mechanical jobs. It's the best way to become a dangerous shade-tree mechanic, or is that worst?

11-Oct-17
Pex

11-Oct-17
The highly intelligent and moral youth have always been a minority. Government interferance in the home structure , ability to teach, to teach to work and work ethic and civic understanding have in these times exacerbated the problem as have distraction by media which also contributes to terrible social skills. But there are still a lot of really great kids. Every once in a while one pops up that really makes me proud and hopeful. These are such as the young caucasian and young black man taking their little john boat out and helping people in the Houston Hurricane. This does more to repair race relationships than rhetoric and poor me tude ever will or even come close to. What that does is seperate.

God bless, Steve

11-Oct-17
Hunting 555,

.....ah.....but can you weave a TIG uphill? :-)

The Rock

19-Oct-17

Annony Mouse's Link
A generation of snowflakes will erase western cultural history...

19-Oct-17
I speak with young people looking to find their way in a technology career. They are motivated, hard working, and full of ideas to change the future in a positive way. Like every generation, there are achievers, dreamers and "others" (I was somewhere between "dreamer and other" 35 years ago). The new generations will be no different. But my experience says we are in good hands-in fact, based on the negative attitude of some of my age peers, it would be great to hand over the reigns very soon.

Kelly

19-Oct-17
Rock, oh heck no! Not yet at least. Just got the TIG welder back in June. Still trying to perfect the "stack of dimes".

19-Oct-17
It was religious conservatives that banned To Kill a Movkingbird. It keeps bringing up racism and they don't need any reminding of racism. Except when they fly the 2nd place flag

19-Oct-17
When do the book burnings begin?

As a side note, though I don't know why I bother, if one would to read the article on the Mockingbird story one would know the book was pulled because it uses the 'N' word.

On another note, I find it hilarious in a sad kind of way that adults can't speak some words, but have to refer to them by the first letter they start with. Talk about being juvenile and unable to handle reality...

19-Oct-17
THE ATHEIST TIMES, has spoken the news. And we all know how honest he is. 8^)))

19-Oct-17
Whoever said all religious conservatives had their heads screwed on straight?

Talk about a sterotyping numbskull...

19-Oct-17
Let's see....I know individual millennials who just became an MD in pediatrics, one who is a Dr of Pharmacy, another who is an assistant state attorney general, a captain in the marine corps, and one who just completed hell week at BUD/S after graduating from college in June. These are amazing and good kids and just the stand outs among the ones I know.

24-Oct-17

Annony Mouse's Link

25-Oct-17
On persons offensive costume is another persons moment of genius.....

25-Oct-17
A few of these "millennials" have critical thinking skills and don't fall into that group think crap but it is getting worse with the younger Liberals/Social Justice Warriors.

Shame we have folks that post here that are so much like the majority of the lib millennials just on a different team. They censor, name call, and post nonsense pictures all to try and be like the SJW's. The problem is those tactics are more effective on children without life experience.....

25-Oct-17
Ya mean, GG, like you calling Trump a dolt on another thread . . . .

25-Oct-17
"Ya mean, GG, like you calling Trump a dolt on another thread . . . ."

Had you actually read the entire thread, you'd realize I was merely quoting one of Slade's copy and paste articles. Personally, I never use the word dolt.

Matt

25-Oct-17
So, Trump was a dolt for hiring Mueller. That seems to be the gist of your articles. Matt

Sure poser

25-Oct-17
I know, right! 8^)

04-Nov-17

Annony Mouse's Link

05-Nov-17

HA/KS's Link
When there is no longer room for an honest discussion of history in Idaho, we are indeed past redemption as a nation and a culture.

05-Nov-17
You nailed it, Kevin. The CF may be the loudest echo chamber of them all.

I used to check daily... then every other day... now, I visit every few days, and rarely read more than a few posts. The Alt-Right Insult-A-Thon is boring. It's unfortunate, because there are a few really bright guys here who share meaningful threads and comments that end up being polluted with childish posts.

One of the interesting things about CF behavior is how the absence of folks who think differently results in them turning on each other... says something about the dominant personality traits in here.

05-Nov-17
Matt...not GG,

I believe in fact you have just accomplished something you NEVER do. Another first to remind us you learn something everyday. ;-)

Maybe if those on the dark side would allow a sliver of light to penetrate their otherwise "Ray Charles" perspective, they would realize that conspiracy theorists will not allow themselves to simply be told by "others" the chain of events and the "undisputed unchallenged" outcome and final results. These sideways thinkers continue to the next level of possibility walking against the grain which irritates the minds that have long since placed their thinking and belief into slumber. Many claims by these group lays bare the "possibility" that a certainty by consensus may be in doubt. Never believe these conspiracy theories are cast into the basket as ridiculous by the tank thinkers who probe every inconceivable avenue by their very nature and are paid handsomely to do so. Believe the reports of the event on the surface initially and many times you will sink to its bottom immediately. Everything is a conspiracy until satisfaction is warranted or proven to be absolutely without a doubt true. Not reasonable, possible or probable but true. Doubt is all it takes and doubt has reversed the course of what was believed to be absolute fact on many important occasions in history. Admittedly I am not a conspiracy theorists. I will not however discount their efforts and prismatic view based on the popularity of their last name.

The Rock

05-Nov-17
Rock times 2. The conspiracy theory broad brush is getting old as well. it seems if anyone suggests something that the MSM isn't promoting, that name tag gets attached to the discussion maker who is simply relaying something. One thing is for sure, I've yet to hear more credible theories from those that throw that name tag around. Only why they THINK it isn't relevant. I agree that some of it isn't. But, I'm also a critical enough thinker that I refuse to dismiss anything until given reason too.

05-Nov-17
Not really, the IRS has been doing it for years.

05-Nov-17
Questioning the position that we only know as referenced material as presented evidence by others, no less, unseen to boot , does not always conclude the case and the truth, the concept employed by all theorists, conspiracy or otherwise. In regards to past performances the government is indeed guilty until proven innocent by way of their own track record, deflection and evasion. Redacted documents are the calling card for suspicion, to be gentle, and is swallowed whole by the public given no other choice. Maybe had we pushed harder and more vigorously with matters concerning the criminal accounts of our government and the dramatic and unbelieving present revelations, which the " surprised" media btw has known years in advance and co-conspired in their reporting, we would not appear to be so shocked. Incredibly many stand at the ready to shoot down theories before their time , in spite of the facts that are abundantly clear, that is, if you are indeed standing in the light. How could it be considered lunacy that conspiracy theorists be discounted in this present political climate?

The Rock

12-Nov-17

Annony Mouse's Link

• Sitka Gear