Fulldraw1972 12-Oct-17
LINK 12-Oct-17
Gray Ghost 12-Oct-17
Joey Ward 12-Oct-17
Fulldraw1972 12-Oct-17
gadan 12-Oct-17
Franzen 12-Oct-17
10-Oct-17
We hunt on the ground out here not on our butts;)

10-Oct-17

Bowbender's embedded Photo
This morning I was.

10-Oct-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Just climbed in a stand 15 minutes ago.

I wish I didn’t have to work this morning. 27 degrees in central mn. First cold front of October.

After chasing elk and mulies all over the mtns I don’t mind sitting in a tree a bit.

10-Oct-17
Now days I don't hunt until the weather cools off a bunch. I used to kill 8-10 deer a Year but now I only want a few. The colder it gets, the better I like it. Glad to see you guys all camoed up. I have killed many many deer wearing blue jeans and wool shirt. I wear camo but mainly to keep other hunters from seeing me. Camo doesn't mean squat if you don't move. Deer hear you, smell you or see you move. If you use the wind, don't make noise and don't move when the deer will see you they will come to within a few feet almost no matter what you are wearing.

10-Oct-17
Plenty of pics of aged hunters, but none of any dead animals. ;-)

Matt

10-Oct-17

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Ok...here you go Matt. It's a slickhead but it's dead. It's been miserably hot in KY and I only hunted then because I had a friend in from WY.

Some varmint found her before I did and started "wallering" (LOL! Appalachian slang) the entrance hole out.

10-Oct-17
Nice work, Bowfreak!! She looks like a fat and healthy doe.

Feel free to share some backstrap your fellow CFers. ;-)

Matt

10-Oct-17

GG

"Plenty of pics of aged hunters, but none of any dead animals. ;-)"

Haven't tagged a deer in a few years, as my main focus was getting my son his first archery kill. Well that happened last year on the first day of archery. I told myself, the first legal buck that comes along..... Well on Oct 2nd this five point came in at 8:05am. Second buck I saw that morning.

10-Oct-17
Jeff,

I was dumb enough to pack my Summit climber into a spot yesterday evening. It was 84 when I left the house and it was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. It was miserable and of course I didn't see squat.

10-Oct-17

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Hunted on the ground today.

10-Oct-17

Here you go Gray Ghost! My first bull.

10-Oct-17
Congrats Fulldraw!!

Nothing gets my adrenaline pumping more than sticking a bull elk. I didn't get to experience that rush this year. Close several times, but the stars didn't align.

You gotta be proud.

Matt

10-Oct-17
Thank You! Yes I am. This years hunt was a great one. Numerous opportunities until everything worked out.

I have said for the last 5 years if I ever shoot my first bull I will be going to Alaska for moose. Problem is I want to be hunting elk in September even more so now. Haha

10-Oct-17

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
I’ve been road hunting...Lol! No getting her dialed in for the last two weeks here, then POW...

11-Oct-17
Nice bull Fulldraw. Congrats! Ike, you switched over to the good guys? How do you like your Pro Defiant compared to your Bowtechs?

11-Oct-17
KPC,

They are bows people actually hit stuff with, not crutches. :)

11-Oct-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Took my daughter yesterday evening. Drew twice but the first doe moved her vitals behind a tree, second doe boogered when she drew. Who knew it would be tough to get an 8 year old drawn at 10 yards and only 9 foot off the ground. ;)

11-Oct-17
"What are all those contraptions you guys are hunting with?"

And.......we're off!! :)

11-Oct-17
KPC,

Ya, I know you're funnin'. :)

I have three very, very favorite memories from hunting. The first was in '99. My 10 year old daughter accompanied me on the first day of rifle season. It was just an awesome time, me and her, hot chocolate, saw turkeys and a bunch of deer. Even managed to kill a buck with her along.

The second was when my son shot his first buck during rifle season in 2012. Hunting the mountains of PA, at camp, and he drops a nice eight point during the second week.

The third was last year. First day of archery, we're in stands about 20 yard apart, doe comes in, he makes a perfect 18 yard shot. She went maybe 40 couple yards and dropped.

Yes, those are my absolute favorite memories!

11-Oct-17
I have not been in the woods yet. Circumstances cancelled my Elk hunt and have been impacting all corners of life. All in my immediate family are healthy and, in the grand scheme, I am working to maintain true perspective.

However, I have to admit that I am not living up to be the man that I want to be. I am finding myself generally surly. That's part of the reason that I haven't been posting as much. I've found that my attitude is entering into my conversations if I don't keep it reined in. Kind of like how it's difficult to be positive immediately after you've smashed a finger. I have no desire to inflict negativity on others.

But... I have been invited to hunt a good chunk of private land in Pike Co. here in IL and I am REALLY looking forward to it. I just cleared the last scheduling hurdle about an hour and fifteen minutes ago.

I hope to be able to post some good news about that hunt and with my continued problem solving, return to my normally affable self.

11-Oct-17
K Cummings, I've never had "buck fever" so bad as yesterday when my daughter drew on the first doe. I was shaking bad, fun stuff.

11-Oct-17
Hoping to go this weekend. Irma has pretty much taken my hunting season from me.

11-Oct-17
Good luck Rick. I'm sure you earned it. Your post hits home for me, but I can't say I'm going to entirely avoid ruffling a feather or two. ;^)

11-Oct-17
Its been too freakin warm in Southern Illinois. Finally today it is cool enough to even consider it as far as I'm concerned. I know some guys that have gone out and they all say the same thing, "Only way I'm shooting one is if its a wall hanger! Its too hot!"

12-Oct-17

Atheist 's embedded Photo
Atheist 's embedded Photo

12-Oct-17
^^^Is that last years deer??

12-Oct-17
I always love those pics where the rack takes up the entire frame and the atheist is long arming it. It makes a 130" buck look like he's 134"!

12-Oct-17
Link,

We call that the "Chuck Adams pose". ;-)

Matt

12-Oct-17
Nothing wrong with that.

Nice buck, regardless.

Always good to see kids the pictures too.

12-Oct-17
The chuck Adams pose should have covered the ears. Them ears give away what that buck will score. I would be amazed if it breaks 100”.

Nice buck I just don’t know of any places in whitetail country that have lost 100% of its leaves yet this year. So I had to ask.

12-Oct-17
Been too hot to be out here in ga

12-Oct-17
"...makes a 130" buck look like he's 134"!" If only that buck was nearing 130". Chuck Adams can pose however the heck he wishes. When you shoot numerous world-record (or nearly) caliber specimens, I doubt there is much need to attempt to deceive viewers with photographic tricks.

• Sitka Gear