liv4it 07-Nov-17
kbbgood 07-Nov-17
Shuteye 07-Nov-17
liv4it 08-Nov-17
gflight 08-Nov-17
Woods Walker 08-Nov-17
Rupe 09-Nov-17
06-Nov-17
I have a few spitfires I sometimes use. The thing is the blades fall open way too easy. How do I fix that?

06-Nov-17
Buy a good fixed blade...Muzzies are good...8^)

06-Nov-17
Last year I killed deer number 70 with Jack hammers. Have killed a bunch more with fixed heads and rockets but since I started using jack hammers I haven't looked back.

06-Nov-17
Kinda walked away from spitfires. While I have no complaints I find the fixed blades more to my liking. Slick Tricks have been very kind to me.

06-Nov-17
"Buy a good fixed blade...Muzzies are good...8^)"

X2! Fixed heads have a 100% success rate of opening 100% of the time. ;-)

06-Nov-17
You guys remember Bowdad? He was going out West elk hunting and was practicing with his fixed head broadheads. At twenty yards he could stay right in the bulls eye. As distance increased his groups opened up. He called me and told me he had tried everything and wasn't satisfied. He wanted some Jac hammers to try because he had seen what they did for me on hogs in Tennessee. He came to my house the next morning and I fixed him up with Jak hammers. Tied some dental floss around the heads so they wouldn't open when shot at a target. At forty yards and fifty yards they grouped perfectly. He was elated. A week later he brought me a cooler full of elk meat. He was the only one that got a bull elk. He even remembered to remove the dental floss.

07-Nov-17
"He even remembered to remove the dental floss."

Well that right there is where he's one up on me. There's times when if my butt wasn't attached to me I'd probably leave it at home!

It's also why I pretty much ground/stillhunt now. Just my bow, binocs, and a small fanny pack......that's if I remember to get dressed......

07-Nov-17
Woods Walker, have you ever forgotten to load your muzzle loader? Me either....hee hee.

07-Nov-17
When I first started bowhunting over 30 years ago, I used Spitfires mostly because I didn't know how to tune a compound bow and they grouped better. I found them to be basically a disposable broad-head because they never survived more than one shot.

I think there are far better mechanical broad-heads available today. Personally, I still like a quality fixed blade, but the success of some mechanicals can't be denied.

Matt

07-Nov-17
Grey Ghost I only shoot a Jak Hammer one time. I replace the blades after every deer kill. I have arrows that have killed several deer. Just clean them up, replace the blades and use again. Almost always get pass through.

07-Nov-17
kbb, You have to buy the blade replacement kit and replace the part that goes with the blade. The metal clip has and indent that holds the blade closed. They wear out or flatten out after a few deploys.

07-Nov-17
Liv4it, how come you are the only one that answerd the question?

07-Nov-17
Kbbgood. Jak hammers have a little rubber band that goes around the blades, they can't fall open but when the head enters the deer, the blades open. I normally find the little rubber band up around the fletching after a pass through.

08-Nov-17
kbb, these are answers you will typically get from the supreme beings of the archery world. I answered your question because you had a question about spitfires in which I had the answer because I used them a lot. By the answers you are getting you would think the question was :

Hi I am very stupid because I shoot spitfires, please tell me how stupid I am which broad head I should shoot. Please be sure and let me know how worthless the broad head is and tell me all the failures you have had. Sorry for the rant. Glad to help you out kbbgood. Good luck on the hunt!

08-Nov-17
I have always used Thunderheads (Don't fix what ain't broke) but am curious if rubber bands from braces may work?

Makes sense in my head anyways.....

08-Nov-17
The only time I use rubber bands and broadheads is when I sharpen them. I use slightly stretched rubber bands to check if they are sharp enough yet. If the band breaks the instant the edge of the blade barely touches it then I know they're sharp enough.

09-Nov-17
Been using Spitfires for years. They make short work of 300 pound Iowa whitetails

• Sitka Gear