IdyllwildArcher 21-Nov-17
DL 21-Nov-17
Woods Walker 21-Nov-17
HDE 21-Nov-17
HDE 22-Nov-17
keepemsharp 22-Nov-17
20-Nov-17

HA/KS's Link
"A new system of Gatso USA traffic cameras in Oklahoma will scan drivers' license plates and automatically fine them if they are not insured "

"Drivers have grudgingly gotten used to traffic cameras, those watchful little lenses perched atop stoplights or keeping watch over your speed. But now drivers in Oklahoma will have another set of eyes watching over them next year — cameras that will scan license plates and automatically fine drivers who are uninsured.

It’s the first program of its kind in the U.S., and will involve setting up high-speed cameras on highways across the state, which will automatically scan drivers’ license plates and check them against a database with the plates of all insured vehicles, according to KGOU.

If the plate comes up as uninsured, an automatic fine of $184 will be mailed to the owner’s house, the station reported. The network will include around 40 plate readers, made by the traffic-camera company Gatso USA, which are expected to send out as many as 20,000 citations per month, reported KOCO. It’s not clear exactly when the first citations will be issued."

20-Nov-17
I believe you can buy license plate holders which block those cameras from taking a picture of your license plate.

20-Nov-17
The issue is forced compliance, again...

Other than protecting your liability, what good does having auto insurance do?

20-Nov-17
It protects people who suffer a loss due to your actions.

20-Nov-17
As I said, your liability...

20-Nov-17
The article reflects one of the downsides of living in our great state. It really is estimated that 25% of the drivers here are uninsured. The only time that's an issue is when Juan or Bubba runs into your late model truck or SUV and their isn't properly insured. At best your out your deductible and maybe a small increase in your own insurance premiums. Then there is the issue of the diminished value of your vehicle. If there are serious injuries and you run out of coverage, you're really screwed! If someone is ticketed and it's proven there isn't any insurance they will lose their driving privileges. We don't see this as being intrusive but more as self preservation. One of the first things we all learned in drivers ed was that "driving is a privilege not a right". If you break the laws while driving, you'll be fined and possibly forfeit your driving privileges.

I'm with KPC. I drive responsibly and safe so I have nothing to worry about. I am curious though how you JTV or HDE would feel if an uninsured motorist hit you or heavens forbid, a love one? Gene.

21-Nov-17
The local police have the same technology here. They don't even need to be behind you to scan your plate. There was an article in the paper where the chief of police said that roughly 1 in 10 cars is driving around without legal plates, registration, or insurance. He said they are limiting tickets to an unexpected disclosed number due to the time it would take to process all they could.

My guess it's only a matter of time until that too is electronic.

Lastly re: insurance. In PA we must have uninsured / underinsured motorist insurance to cover for those that don't have insurance. Kinda like Obamacare for cars

21-Nov-17
I want cars manufactured to alert the police every time someone is texting and driving. That way, fines can be issued each time that law is broken. I also think its time for GPS technology to combat speeding. Serial offenders (say, more than 3 times in a calendar year) for either 2 above will have their vehicle disabled and impounded.

Further, I want every new automobile to ship with an ignition lock breathelyzer. Mandated retrofits for every existing vehicle. DUIs stop immediately upon implementation. We'll figure out bicycles, skateboards and horses later.

21-Nov-17
You can't get a license plate for your car without insurance in the state of Maryland. If your insurance gets cancelled, the insurance company notifies the state. You have to turn your plates in immediately or you face a big fine and can lose your drivers license. I personally like that law. Uninsured drivers are a huge problem.

BTW, one place I used to play music had a really nice parking lot and the sign says you must not back into a parking spot. Ticked off my daughter since she likes to back in. I explained to her that some states, like hers, don't require a front license plate. The cops plate readers can't read the plate if they can't see it. They can drive through a parking lot and read every plate as they drive through. They can sit on the edge of a highway and read every plate that passes. A couple years ago they were looking for a killer and a female police officer got the tag number as the car went by. She was ordered to follow but not to pull him over until back up arrived. They got the guy.

21-Nov-17
That's all well and good until you get a ticket that isn't yours! We had this issue at my old employer. We kept getting tickets out of St. Louis from red light cameras. The vehicle in the pictures was always a late 80's to early 90's Ford F150 pickup which would have an Illinois class "B" license plate. We had a big box truck that had the exact same plate number but it was an Illinois class "D" license. City of St. Louis would not believe us when we wrote a letter to respond to the tickets. We had to get the local States Attorney to write a letter with a picture of our truck and plate and he looked up the actual truck in the picture and gave them the owners info in his letter.

So there is a definite down side to these "wonderful" cameras!!

21-Nov-17
Owl your post is reminiscent of Jonathan Swifts "Modest Proposal" and I agree. Where is the line. I can say quite anecdotally from driving a pretty big truck.....everyone is f'ing with their phone. I see it every morning driving into my office. The only thing I will do is talk on mine....and it's hands free.

21-Nov-17
Why does a vehicle even need to be registered and licensed?

Having a homeowners policy will protect you should someone be stupid on your property and seek financial retribution. Will gov't next mandate property/homeonwer insurance...?

Also, do you need health insurance to pay for someone else because you got them sick?

21-Nov-17
my attorney told me to throw away all the red light tickets. So far that has worked great.

21-Nov-17
Straight Arrow, back a few years ago, in Delaware, a guy got a letter from the police showing a picture of his car running a red light. The fine was $32.50. The guy took a picture of $32.50 and sent it to the police. The police had a sense of humor and sent the guy a picture of handcuffs. He paid the fine. That is true and everyone, including the guy that paid the fine, got a laugh out of it.

21-Nov-17
I get a lot of them on toll roads these days in rental cars. I pay those.

21-Nov-17
"Why does a vehicle even need to be registered and licensed?"

It's just another tax. The government making us pay them to do anything life-related. Like registering a boat. Another tax. Tow a trailer? Tax it.

21-Nov-17
I bought a boat in Oregon on the 3rd of July. Brought it home and went fishing on the 4th. Went in on the 5th to register it. Sales tax+ registration, transfer and a penalty for using it before I paid the fees. It comforts me to know that part of my ridiculously high registration fees goes to pay for drunk driving eduction. Whatever that is?

21-Nov-17
"I want cars manufactured to alert the police every time someone is texting and driving. "

I'd like to see cell phones that will disable their texting capability if the phone is within 3' of an ignition switch.

21-Nov-17
^^^ those do exist...

"It's just another tax. The government making us pay them to do anything life-related. Like registering a boat. Another tax. Tow a trailer? Tax it."

Exactly. Non-revenue generating money pit.

22-Nov-17
Well, sort of on the car. You only need to pay the extortion fee if you drive on public ground.

Housing on the other hand...

Still don't need a home owners policy though.

22-Nov-17
Don't need a policy if it's paid for.

• Sitka Gear