jdee 31-Dec-17
bb 01-Jan-18
Annony Mouse 01-Jan-18
Stalker 01-Jan-18
Kevin Dill 01-Jan-18
BIG BEAR 04-Jan-18
South Farm 05-Jan-18
31-Dec-17
Spend the money and have someone else plow your driveway and save all the wear and tear on your truck...... It will take you years and years of plowing costs to ever equal that of buying a plow.

Or buy a beater plow truck with a plow already on it...... Personally I wouldn't want to put a plow on my brand new truck.

31-Dec-17
I use my little diesel front end loader and it takes a while to do my drive way. I have a friend about a mile away that has a plow on the front of his Ford Diesel truck and he does a very good job and makes a good amount of money clearing parking lots and driveways. He often does my drive way before I get my tractor going, at no charge. His is just a big blade on the front and it can be a problem if the drifts are four or five feet high. A V plow may be the answer. Knowing how to do the plowing plays a big part. A few years ago we dug out the stuck snow plows from the county. I with my front end loader and he with his Ford pick up. Knowing how to drive the equipment is a big thing.

31-Dec-17
The idea of having to get a snow plow to be able to get in or out of my driveway is scary. I've lived in TX my whole life have never seen snow any worse than measured in inches.

31-Dec-17
For just doing your two driveways you could easily get by with the standard blade. If you were doing contract plowing the v blade would be a better choice.

I live on a hill in WNY and I use a snowblower on the 300' driveway to avoid the huge mounds on each side with a heavy winter. Easier on the lawn as well except for some raking come spring!

31-Dec-17
No matter what you get be sure to install those rods that stick up showing the edge of the blade.

31-Dec-17
I used to have commercial accounts. One thing we always tried to stay away from was the types of plows where the whole plow would trip if you hit something. We always opted for the kind where just the bottom edge would trip. I stopped doing it commercially and sold my plow and just do my driveway with the Bobcat. Based on the description of the property and driveway, the v plow would be way easier. It's a pain in the butt to plow your way into a spot with deep snow and no place for it to push to. The v plow makes that much easier and less time consuming.

31-Dec-17
My cousin uses a tracked Bobcat to push cow poop. She can handle that thing. Bobcats are amazing.

31-Dec-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
Bobcats with snow blowers work great, I just use a plow on mine and it's good enough.

31-Dec-17
Great advice from Bear. Saving money can get very expensive.

31-Dec-17
Fisher !! Fisherplows .com Great plows.

31-Dec-17
Is that $175 for the season or each time? How many times a winter do you visit the NY property?

31-Dec-17
Pay someone who owns a plow. Be smart.

31-Dec-17
As soon as you buy a plow you won't get any snow for 3 years........ ha !!!!

31-Dec-17
With that much snow and not much room to move it too there is no easy way out!

31-Dec-17
I live in a snow belt in Northern Michigan. $175 sounds like a major rip off for a basic 200' driveway job....unless there is something unusual going on. You can look on Craigslist and find beater plow trucks with plows fairly cheap around here. They are not pretty but they are functional and get the job done. There are mid-priced ones too for a little better quality and reliability. Me personally.....from living in a snow zone and seeing plow trucks working alot...I would not install a plow on a new truck unless you're going commercial. Just for winter work....a decent used one should suffice. I never owned one but my neighbors do....plowing can be rough on frames, drivelines and trannys.

31-Dec-17
Looks like you'd be better off with tunneling equipment

31-Dec-17
Not to mention that once you put a plow on your truck you will be plowing friends and neighbors drives too..... guaranteed......

31-Dec-17
Where are you going to put the snow? With the plow you have to push it somewhere. Looks like an bobcat mounted snowblower would be what you need.

Terry

31-Dec-17
Pat, after seeing the pics, I think you don't need a snow plow. You need to invest in a different part of the country. :)

31-Dec-17
Damn.... How can you live in that country and not own a plow ? Buy a plow and if all the neighbors want you to plow them out tell them ....$175 to $200 . Couple of winter snow storms like that and the plow is paid for.

31-Dec-17
CT gets plenty of snow , your place in NY looks like it gets record amounts of it , you have the right truck for the job , I would buy a Fisher plow and keep the place in CT plowed and when I went to NY the plow would go with me. Only takes a couple minutes to hook it up and unhook it once you’ve done it a few times. You can sell a good used plow fast if you decide you don’t want it, plus you can plow your property the way you want it plowed. I’m parshal to Fisher because I’ve owned a few but I’m sure there are other good ones too.

01-Jan-18
I have always used fisher also, you can’t go wrong there. However I know nothing of the other popular brands

01-Jan-18
Pat...if you're going to plow (especially with that much snow), you're going to need some place to push it. A tractor with a PTO snowblower will throw the snow and handle the snows in your pics. You'd probably have access to the house in one pass, and certainly by two.

A fair number of used tractors and accessories easily found on Internet. Advantage of not using your new truck is that you have the tractor for other uses after the snow is gone.

And, heck, you bought that new truck to pull a trailer anyway. ;o)

Happy New Year...and as always, thanks.

jack

01-Jan-18
Solo when was the last time you were in NY?

01-Jan-18
Pat, if you need to move snow I would recommend your truck and a quick-attach plow. For those depths I’d go with a v plow. I own 3 plow rigs and my favorites by far are Western units. Boss is very popular but nothing has ever been better for me than Western. Those are the only 2 brands I’d ever think of buying, and that’s because they are built for commercial work. A lot of other brands are okay but go forewarned. Try to buy from a local dealer where you can get faster parts and service. Absolutely use your truck where you’ll be warm and comfortable with cell phone and coffee cup. Your big diesel will handle the work easily. When it’s off your truck there’s very little visible evidence you’ve had a plow installed. My Western Wideout hooks up in 3 minutes with no tools and detaches just as fast. You’ll only have it on your truck when needed, which minimizes front end wear and tear. You’ll love having your own plow. Chances are you’ll have people begging you to plow their driveways and you can help offset some costs of ownership.

04-Jan-18
Perfect !!!

05-Jan-18
That amount of snow requires a blower, not a plow. You already have the tractor so just get yourself a good blower and you're set. Make damn sure you keep them kids in while you're blowing the driveway, they don't mix.

• Sitka Gear