spike78 09-Jan-18
gadan 09-Jan-18
bad karma 09-Jan-18
Amoebus 09-Jan-18
Glunt@work 09-Jan-18
spike78 10-Jan-18
bad karma 10-Jan-18
07-Jan-18
I have owned my Tacoma for quite a few years and want something different for now. I have always wanted an FJ Cruiser mainly because it’s different from everything out there and I think it’s kind of neat. Anyway, who has owned one? I see it gets fantastic reviews and sure holds its value. Honestly I’m getting tired of throwing all my hunting stuff in the Tacoma’s tiny access cab.

07-Jan-18
They are just about as tiny. Very, ery capable off road. I had two. The last one I drove for 4 hears and got nearly what I paid for it on trade. Averaged about 17 mpg but it was lifted and had bigger tires. Go over 70.pb and gas mileage drops to 15. Tow about anythi g and it drops to 13. Solod vehicle and fun but I needed more room. I have never fou d another vehicle as off road capable as Tacomas and FJs. Drove them for w5 years.

07-Jan-18
Darned little buttons on phone. Drove them 25 years. Found. Solid. very. 70mph. found. anything.

07-Jan-18
Spike, Toyota dx them, may find a good use one. I got a 2015 Tacoma double cab w 6' box and does everything what I need and some more, had a Tundra prior and like the down size a lot more and the mpg. Toyota are hard to beat, just was reading about the auto reapo is very high and be checking the web for one.

07-Jan-18

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Put a topper on your Taco problem solved!

The FJ's are beyond capable off road, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Pic of my '72 fj40 wish I still had it.

07-Jan-18
Forgot to mention I have a new hunting dog so the Tacoma sure does not have room inside for a crate. I like the weather proof inside of the FJ. My only concern is where do I put the Jon boat!

07-Jan-18
Lot of guys have them around here to run the rubicon trail. V8s, air actuated front and rear lockers.

08-Jan-18
I drove one from LAX to mammoth to go skiing a few years ago. my ski's wouldn't hardly fit inside it. I can't bring myself to drive anything smaller than a 1/2 ton pickup with a crew cab and a 6 1/2' bed.

08-Jan-18
I just bought a new Tacoma off road and got the double cab. The access cab is way to small. I love it so far and still have my 1998 4Runner.

08-Jan-18
Jeeps, like so many brands aren't exactly a solid American product. Wranglers are built in Ohio but Jeep is part of Fiat/Chrysler.

Toyotas are excellent vehicles.

The true "American" thing to do is buy the vehicle that you want. Its up to American manufacturers to produce that vehicle.

08-Jan-18
I've been very happy with Jeeps since 1984. And yes, mine have been very reliable. But even as a Jeep loyalist, the Toyotas are damn good rigs.

09-Jan-18

Amoebus's embedded Photo
Amoebus's embedded Photo
Got a 2007 FJ. For western trips I found an M101 1/4 ton trailer for $200 and that can haul enough for 3 people (barely). They are not big but can go about anywhere.

They are tough on windshields as the flat design seems to pick up every rock and debris. This made for an interesting weekend after getting hit near Bismarck....

09-Jan-18
When I bought my Tacoma a week ago there was a sticker on it saying what percentage of parts were manufactured in the USA and what percentage of assembly was done in the USA. Can't remember which by one was 86% and the other 72% or so.

09-Jan-18
Amoebus, I read those windows were not very good due to that. IMO Toyota should re design the FJ and bring it back and it will sell. I test drove one yesterday and it was a very nice ride. The former owner kept it in mint condition but my only gripe is it is plain Jane. It has absolutely no features on it at all. I think the Jeep brand is nice looking but from what I read on reliability it is lacking. I wish I could buy another brand with the Toyota engine in it as Toyota sure does not give you much for $30,000 compared to other companies accessories.

09-Jan-18
I don't know if it's still the case but last I checked, you had to use higher octane fuel in them too. That is a measurable difference operating expense you'll have to account for.

09-Jan-18
Here is my take on Jeep reliability. Either they are very good or very bad. I've had my 99 Grand Cherokee for about 6.5 years, and have a whopping $700 in maintenance on it, other than wear items like tires, brakes and battery. Never stranded me, even when I hit a deer with it in Oklahoma. My other Grand Cherokees, both 98s, were equally good.

09-Jan-18
2007 FJ recommends 91 octane.

The windshield rides straight up and down so glancing blows are out. On the other hand, I had something 2' x 2' fly out the back of a truck at 75 mph and hit the window square. I am still typing and not buried so it might not be that bad of a design...

I wouldn't re-design and re-sell. 7 years on the market and you pretty much know that it was a niche automobile. I am going to run this one into the ground and then look for a 2014 with 100,000 miles on it. It is a really good vehicle for how I use it.

09-Jan-18
If Toyota would bring an updated FJ40 to market similar to the 4 door wrangler with removable top and dual lockers I would be pre ordering.

10-Jan-18
Cool looking older vehicles there guys! At this rate I’m never going to decide!

10-Jan-18
I paid $9000 for my 99 Grand Cherokee with 48k on it. I've owned it six years, now with 102k. It's already been a bargain. Old vehicles, with good reliability and loved by the first owner, are the way to go.

My other car is a 98 Infiniti I30. I bought it a year ago with 67k It has $1k in "deferred maintenance" and need another $800 this year. I paid $2750 for it, and will get 250-300k out of it. Doesn't make spending $40k for a new car seem reasonable to me.

• Sitka Gear