Annony Mouse 02-Feb-18
BowSniper 02-Feb-18
HA/KS 02-Feb-18
casekiska 04-Feb-18
HA/KS 04-Feb-18
elkmtngear 04-Feb-18
HA/KS 08-Feb-18
02-Feb-18
Parris Island That is where my nephew is as I write this.

Several on here will understand this much better than I do.

02-Feb-18
If he passes, he will get the wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor.

.. ..

.. ..

I, too, went to Boot Camp at Parris Island.

Marine Boot Camp has only gotten tougher over the years. While as a Drill Instructor in San Diego 1989 to 1991, we brought back the old Physical Readiness Test from the Vietnam era. Since I was discharged, they started the Crucible. This is truly a bellwether of Espirit de Corps and Gung Ho ( which in Chinese means "working together" ).

I am sure you are proud of your Nephew. I know I am.

02-Feb-18
Congratulations to your nephew.

02-Feb-18
My sis is on pins and needles. Since his dad died a couple of years ago, she is pulling double duty.

02-Feb-18
I'm sure your nephew will do fine and pass his crucible! The Marine D.I.'s know what they are doing, and with some heart you will get to where they need you to be. And he will forever be a better man because of the process... and the Corps!

Just wait until he comes marching back into town, ramrod straight with that look in the eyes that only Parris Island can instill in ya! Be sure to post a pic when he graduates

02-Feb-18
I'm sure he will be OK. If he made it this far he'll most likely make it through the crucible.

I went through Parris Island in 1986.

Semper Fidelis 1986-2014

02-Feb-18
Good for your nephew !!! I went through San Diego in 1985 Chuck; but I was across the fence from the Marines in Navy boot camp.... a breeze compared to what you guys went through..........

Although Navy boot camp made the Police Academy feel like a breeze..... ha !!

02-Feb-18
All above are my hero's, always was and all will be. "ramrod straight with that look in the eyes that only Parris Island can instill in ya!" That is a undeniable fact.

The Rock

02-Feb-18
Congrats to your nephew!! My son is planning on joining the Marines when he graduates next year.

02-Feb-18
Good on him....

02-Feb-18
I know what you are talking about Henry. I thought about my son night and day when he was in OCS.

02-Feb-18
Henry...welcome to the Marine family.

Did boot camp at MCRD San Diego in 1969. Wish him the best for those of us in whose footsteps he follows.

Write him regularly...it was always great to get mail.

Semper Fi!

jack

02-Feb-18
For those with kids going in, send mail.... NOT TREATS. Man, how we got thrashed for candy and snacks from home. Ha!

02-Feb-18
Jack, San Diego was my dad's last station when he came back from the Pacific after WII. He loved it there.

04-Feb-18
Be sure to keep in touch with your Marine, especially during boot camp. That will mean a lot. Just send letters, no presents or treats. Whenever I got a scented letter from my girlfriend or cookies from my mom, the DI really made me pay for it.

I joined in April of 1965. Spent the months of June, July, and August at Parris Island. Then we were sent to ITR (infantry training regiment) at Camp Gieger for four weeks. After that we mustered out to special schools depending on our MOS, or we went to our duty stations. Some guys went to the Philippines for jungle warfare training and then to VN. As we know, some never came home.

I would never want to go through marine boot camp again but I do not regret for one second doing it back then.

Semper Fi USMC 1965 - 971

04-Feb-18
From my sis "Today is Liberty Sunday. The new Marines are allowed to, among other things, CALL HOME!

I just talked to PFC ###, ## # for 8 minutes. He sounds hoarse, and so grown up.

He can't wait for graduation, and can't wait to get home."

Thanks everyone for your service as well as your encouragement and kid words.

04-Feb-18
Good on your Nephew, Henry! He'll never regret it. My Daughter was a completely different person after Boot Camp...standing up tall and straight, "Yes Maam, No Sir".

My Daughter did her Boot Camp, and Infantry Training Near Parris Island.

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Feb-18
He made it.

His first stop (along with three fellow Marines) was to go to a church and get baptized.

My guess is that the man doing the baptizing was also a Marine - had the look.

• Sitka Gear