bigswivle 06-Feb-18
Woods Walker 06-Feb-18
Mint 22-Feb-18
Kodiak 22-Feb-18
Joey Ward 22-Feb-18
Mike the Carpenter 22-Feb-18
keepemsharp 22-Feb-18
06-Feb-18
Whenever I need some info I come to the community forum and you guys usually come through. I have a GE gas dryer that runs for around 10 minutes and then shuts off for about 5 minutes and then will run again. I cleaned the vent of all lint and made sure it is clean. I took it apart and tested the gas solenoid valves for continuity and they were fine. Then tested the high temp thermostat and that failed the continuity test so I replaced it. I vacuumed the motor and cleaned the inside pretty good. Still have the problem but it runs longer now, around 15 minutes . I thought it was the motor but if I put it on no heat it will run no problem for at least 30 minutes, didn't test it for longer. Now I'm thinking maybe the hot air isn't venting right with the blower wheel and overheating the motor. I'm going to run it for an hour with no heat to see if the motor quits.

Any ideas?

06-Feb-18
Sounds you did everything I would have thought of. It does sound like it may not be venting right but I have no idea what to do other than what you've already done. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

BTW....you better hope that you don't need any parts for that GE, because now that most American appliance companies are all part of GE, many times parts are no longer available, even on machines that are only a year old. The appliance repair service that I use recommends buying LG or other foreign brands as the parts are more readily available.

06-Feb-18
It's possible your unit has a small glass safety switch which allows the vent to remain open. If it over heated or broke from stress you can easily put in a new one.

06-Feb-18
Scratch that last comment. I read gas water heater! Sorry.

06-Feb-18
Check to see if there is a manual reset on the High limit. Should be located in the burner tube. MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE UNIT BEFORE RESETTING THE HIGH LIMIT. Don’t ask me how I know that one.

If that doesn’t do it, check your idler wheel for wear. Might not be allowing the drum to turn enough to exhaust the heat, which would set off your high limit.

Also go outside and check your exhaust port. Could be plugged with lint, or even a bird’s nest.

06-Feb-18
When all else fails google the problem.

This can be that the motor is overheating. Assuming the controls don’t have to be reset to restart the dryer. When the motor overheats the motor safety switch will cut out then once it cools down it will come back on. If you can get a panel off and run the motor you should hear a distinctive clicking noise coming from the motor when it cuts off then when it cools back down if this is your problem. If you need anymore info please leave your model number.

06-Feb-18
Mike, I'll check to see if there is a manual reset. I don't think so and have unplugged the unit to try to reset it that way. My high limit thermostat is located on the exhaust tube right above the blower wheel. I gave a quick check on the blower wheel by turning it and it seemed fine but I'll check again. I'm wondering if there is another thermostat on the burner assembly that I didn't see, gong to check that when I take it apart again. Outside vent is clear and open, I thought maybe the ice sealed it shut but the louvres are wide open. Dl, I'm leaning more towards the motor too but it runs fine when it is on the no heat setting and I assume they motor would overheat then to. I can't hear a clicking noise with the drum going so I'll take it all apart, take off the drum and belt and run the motor that way and see if it cuts off and clicks. Model number is DCVH640GJ1WW Thanks guys.

06-Feb-18
So, the dryer completely shuts off or the heat to it shuts off?

06-Feb-18
Check the blower wheel for any obstruction. Also make sure the blower wheel shaft is not loose and doesn't have any play.

To determine if the blower wheel is working properly, remove the dryer vent and assess the strength of the air flow. If the air flow is weak, check the blower wheel for obstructions. If no obstructions are present, try rotating the blower wheel by hand. If the blower wheel wobbles as it turns, replace it.

06-Feb-18
Amoebus, the dryer completely shuts off.

Joey, I checked the blower wheel when had the dyer apart and the air flow was fine coming thru the vent, I rotated the wheel by hand and it seemed fine also but I'll check it more thoroughly.

06-Feb-18
This is exactly why I don't try to fix them anymore.....by now I could have had a brand new one delivered and the old one hauled off......by someone else.

06-Feb-18
Yeah, but most of our grandma in laws didn't have a couple hundred thou in the bank.

There's a lesson there somewhere. I think.

:-)

06-Feb-18
Joey, if you had to have your appliances fixed by me you would buy new ones right away too!

06-Feb-18
LOL I understand. :-)

06-Feb-18
Well it's not the money with me it's that my wife said let's just get a new one. lol Now I have to fix it.

06-Feb-18
Oh yes.....the "man card"....You definitely earn it!!!

06-Feb-18
Mint, I'm out of ideas. But check this link out. It may be of help. Look at the troubleshooting section.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a8b3d849732-x64637668363430676a317777/Dcvh640gj1ww-Model-DCVH640GJ1WW-GE-Dryer-Parts

06-Feb-18
WW, you have no idea.

Joey, that is the site I got the replacement parts from.

06-Feb-18
Fixing to get rid of my gas dryer and replace with new electric. When laundry piles up the cost seams to high.

06-Feb-18
Oh...I do Mint, I do!

22-Feb-18
Finally fixed it! It was the thermistor. I took the whole thing apart figuring i would have to replace the motor and wanted to give everything one last check and i found the thermistor on the back of the housing hidden from where I could see it. Ordered the part and got it fixed and running on Sunday. My wife was dutifully impressed and then said "Ok, now you need to rip up the carpet in the downstairs guest room and put in a nice new floor like you did in the den last year before turkey hunting season starts. "

22-Feb-18
No good deed goes unpunished.

22-Feb-18
Thanks for the update and solution.

Good work.

It’s always nice to hear the fix.

22-Feb-18
Thumbs up.

22-Feb-18
Mint: this site has enough knowledge to answer anything, just have to sort through it.

• Sitka Gear