Beendare 07-Feb-18
bad karma 07-Feb-18
IdyllwildArcher 07-Feb-18
Woods Walker 07-Feb-18
07-Feb-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

Woods Walker's Link
Has anyone ever heard about these, or have any experience with them? I'm considering them for my daughter.

07-Feb-18
Probably illegal in some/ most states, I would check local laws. I would rather have mace or a firearm, I never want an attacker to be THAT close to me if I can help it.

07-Feb-18
She's got one (9mm) but it's kind of hard to jog with it. She also carries a knife with her but both a gun or a knife would be concealed. With these they are right in her hands and they can be used in far less time than it would take to even begin getting out a gun or a knife. Besides, she lives/works in the DC area and half the places she goes she can't legally carry anyway. She does take Jujitsu so she does know a bit about physical self defense.

07-Feb-18
I believe in their ad they say that it's legal in all states......for now.

07-Feb-18
Yeah, I agree with JTV, those don't look like they'd be too useful for self defense. Sure, your daughter may, or may not, get one good swipe in, but that will likely just aggravate the attacker more, not deter him.

I've know women who carry their key chains with the individual keys sticking out between their fingers. Basically the same concept as the device you pictured. I never thought that was too practical, either.

Matt

07-Feb-18
does she know any martial art....even a little?

07-Feb-18
yeah that would hurt. A set of keys with a key protruding between each finger is the poor man's version

07-Feb-18
They also claim that it gathers DNA.

07-Feb-18
Eyes or groin ...make it count!

07-Feb-18
The problem is, that device assumes the user is able to keep the hand it's in free from the attacker.

A very loud whistle would probably be equally effective.

Matt

07-Feb-18
For jogging, get her a Pelosi mask. Guaranteed to thwart an attack with blindness. It's like looking into the sun.

07-Feb-18
I’ll bet they are illegal in NY, similar to a switch blade knife. Would rather my daughter was proficient with a side arm.

07-Feb-18
He couldn't catch a jogger if she looked like Stormy Daniels.

07-Feb-18
I believe in their ad they say that it's legal in all states......for now.

just call it a hand held exfoliator.

07-Feb-18
Excellent weapon to attack the eyes.

07-Feb-18
Hard to imagine that any state making this illegal, would actually let you carry a sidearm pistol instead. That makes no sense.

07-Feb-18
I think the only advantage over other self defense devices this could have is what some mentioned, runners could have it in their hand the shore time. Other than that I’d rather my daughters have bear spray or a pistol. It could have a place though running or walking to a car with it in the non gun hand for close proximity and leaving the gun hand free to draw a weapon/spray.

07-Feb-18
So, those who advocate against this in place of a firearm seem to be saying that she wouldn't be able to use this because her hands might be restrained or it would just piss the attacker off? If that is the case, how would carrying a firearm be better and when is the best time to try and reason with someone who is attacking you? You know, so you can calm them down and get them to realize they don't really want to attack you...

I would suspect when a person is being mugged, most times they don't know where the attacker came from. The attacker is not always going to give one time to get their weapon out. So, having a first response defensive weapon in hand could give her the slight advantage she needs to get her firearm out or run away....<<

07-Feb-18
Time to move.

07-Feb-18
Bear spray would be more effective for humans and dogs/critters. UDAP makes small "jogging" models. Really sexist product, btw. It could be an SNL skit.

07-Feb-18
I would think this deterrent tool would hurt but not incapacitate the assailant. It would enrage the attacker even more. My Daughter runs 2.5 miles every morning while wearing an M&P body guard and says you cant even tell its there. She uses undertech underwear or waist band. She is well trained and can draw it in a Nano second. If trained properly a gun is your best option!

07-Feb-18
Those kind of look like the bear claws I use to make pulled pork.

07-Feb-18
I could see where it would be an effective weapon if one were to be grabbed from behind. Providing that the hand were free the victim could slash an attackers hands, arms, or any other body part within reach. If the blades are sharp (think razor blade), I gotta think that significant damage would/could be done. Imagine three inch deep incisions the length of a forearm? I'm not sure how effective it would be in a face to face encounter. Lead with the "off hand"???

07-Feb-18
Mint lol your right I have those pork claws!

07-Feb-18
Better than nothing.... I'd think a taser or spray would be better and easier to carry, maybe deploy if a firearm wasn't available.

A couple years ago I got a "stun baton" for my wife when walking the bird dogs around the block. It's about 16-18" long, pretty solid, could give a good whack all by itself without the shock. They were attacked once by a pit bull that was close to killing one of my GSPs.... lucky she slipped away (tore the skin, stitches and a good vet bill) and was FAST, left the pit in the dust. Coach kicked and beat the dog but she said is was like she wasn't even there.

Needed to do something. Didn't want spray as a good chance of spraying my dog as well if too close, so went the baton route. Happened again several months later with another aggressive dog and while I don't know the effect on humans, she reported it was VERY effective on the dog.....

07-Feb-18
Well one key component to self defense is distance. [numero uno is self awareness]

I think that something like Mace or a telescoping baton is better than a knife or close quarters weapon.

07-Feb-18
Hey Tom,

Check out these little gems I found. I didn't know this micro model existed. I have 2 packs of the 150 gr. micro Hades Pro ordered. I talked to one of the guys who did a lot of development on this head and he said he can literally put the 150 gr SS ferrule in a vice and bang on it with a 10 lb sledge and not damage it. These should be dandy elk heads with great flight. I am a sucker for different stuff so I am going to try them.

https://www.grimreaperbroadheads.com/collections/pro-series-fixed-blade/products/micro-hades-pro-series-fixed-blade-broadheads

I ordered the #2253 4 blade 150 gr. They have .035" thick blades. Seems like a beefy little sucker.

Mark

07-Feb-18
Bear spray is potent. To find out, discharge some for the heck of it with a slight wind blowing across the direction of travel, wait a few seconds and see what the lingering after-spray is like when you walk through. Then magnify it by 95%.

Ain't an attacker on this planet that would continue on with a face full of that stuff and a "shotgun" approach is pretty effective.

A hand-held personal taser would be the next line of defense. So what if the perv has a heart attack...

07-Feb-18
I just like the fact that it's IN the hand, and doesn't have to be reached for. If you can move your arm then you can use this...IMMEDIATELY. I think the surprise factor is an advantage. I also thought she could lace the claws with cyanide or something so the SOB would die......but just not right there.

Of course her 9mm is the best course of action, but this is for when she jogging or going on the Metro or something. DC is VERY restrictive in regards to firearms.

07-Feb-18
I agree, surprise followed by extreme pain would likely be enough.

Draw back is having that creeps blood on you, because it could easily happen...

07-Feb-18
I too agree. Surprise followed by extreme pain can give her the slight advantage she needs to possibly get away or to obtain a better weapon or to attract enough attention that the bad guy goes away.

I don't think blowing a whistle is a good idea, and the last thing on her mind should be worrying if she is going to piss the bad guy off. The bad guy has already committed to doing whatever he was planning on doing. The only way to stop him is to disrupt his plans with whatever means possible...JMO

07-Feb-18
Bow sniper, may not make sense to you, but perhaps you do not live in NY State ? I live in NY state, and I and thousands of other gun owners can carry a sidearm concealed ,but cannot carry a switch blade.

07-Feb-18
Self awareness is the key...you need to teach her that for sure. there are a lot of situations folks just walk into that they wouldn't if they were aware. It might help to think of it in these terms; "What will the jury think?" Young gal carry mace...sprays the bad guy.....No problem.

on the other hand, gal pulls of some medieval weapon that shredded the attacker...I'm with her...but a jury of her peers might not be.

07-Feb-18
A can of wasp spray would be better than that. Works from better than 12' away. And is not pleasant if shot in the face.

07-Feb-18
Travel size pepper spray is way better than these. If a girl was scratching me up with one of these, I'd grab her wrist and take it out of her hand. And anyone that would need this to be used on them, would probably then use it in return. This won't disable anyone with any certainty. All you'd have to do is grab the girl by the wrist and it's over, even if she got you in the eyes. A quick bum rush and these are worthless. Pepper spray disables. Guns disable.

07-Feb-18
Let me point out here that my daughter does practice jujitsu and has a blue belt so she's not totally unfamiliar with basic self defense moves such as escaping a grab to her wrist/arm and whatnot. Now I know this isn't 100%...far from it in fact. But the point is that with the skills she does have combined with a tool like this it could buy her time for other defenses or escape. Like I said, it would be a total surprise from someone who was only expecting a physical confrontation and is now cut and bleeding. And if it were used in the face it would have a far more drastic effect, especially the eyes.

• Sitka Gear