gflight 15-Feb-18
HA/KS 15-Feb-18
gflight 15-Feb-18
HA/KS 15-Feb-18
gflight 15-Feb-18
08-Feb-18
Not really....

I agree with this guy...

"The former U.S. Navy SEAL who says he fired the shots that killed Osama bin Laden ripped President Trump's proposal for a military parade in the nation's capital. "A military parade is third world bullshit," Robert J. O'Neill tweeted on Thursday. "We prepare. We deter. We fight. Stop this conversation.""

08-Feb-18
exactly. parade is for marching bands.

08-Feb-18
Agreed. I told my wife not too long ago, after seeing the NK "parade" clip on TV. I said only dictator regimes hold that kind of nonsense. NK, Russia, China, Nazi Germany. Goose stepping communists.

Thank you military personnel, past, present and future. Be safe.

08-Feb-18
I’ll take the word of active duty jarheeads.

08-Feb-18
Who are you to call someone "jarheads" (which you misspelled)?

That Marine has to be a Democrap to want to drag Trump with an Amtrac. Spike you are vindicated, I had a feeling the Democraps did the terrorist attack with the dump truck....lol

08-Feb-18
atheist. You are a dumba$$.

08-Feb-18
Or I can put it this way: Our 71 year old , draft dodging man child president wants a parade to honor himself. But yeah it’s millenials that get the participation trophies.

08-Feb-18
I understand his reasoning for it, and I have every ounce of respect for our military...but I don't agree with this one!

08-Feb-18
I was in a marching band and we were marching down 5th Avenue, in New York City. It was a real long parade and the National Guard was right behind us. They were using our drummers for staying in step. We were so proud that they lost several members due to the extreme heat. We only lost one band member. Our majorettes were good looking and knew their stuff. Our music teacher got a kick out of a newspaper article that said "Galena High School band wins again with their hip swinging majorettes."

08-Feb-18
I get both sides. Glad the military is finally regaining the respect they were robbed of for the last eight years. Don't get the arcade thing though. Oh well

08-Feb-18
Atheist, I realize you have no common sense, so ponder this. Perhaps Trump is making sure the rest of the world understands that we are no longer the pussies we were for the last 8 years?! WE call it, "putting America first!"

You should try it!!!

08-Feb-18
sigh. this is akin to the guy with a conceal/carry making sure everyone knows he carries and when and what he carries. We're better than this as a nation. and for the record we were never. EVER pussies. just saying so is a direct insult to our brethren that landed on Normandy, Tarawa, Belleau Woods and so on.

08-Feb-18
His intention may not be to show our military might but to honor our military. Just a thought.

08-Feb-18
trump honors trump. always has, always will.

08-Feb-18
You have no input to this Nation, atheist. You were, and are still part of the pu$$ies, of this Nation.

09-Feb-18
"and for the record we were never. EVER pussies. "

I was referring to the Obama admin...not our troops. Obama was a pussy when it came to our security!

09-Feb-18
I think it's about time we had a parade to honor the troops.

09-Feb-18
There was a good ticker tape parade in NYC to honor the troops...was that 1991? Shared that moment with a very cute waitress who threw confetti in the bedroom... :-)

Active duty guys hate parades, though. You have to prep and polish and iron and shine for weeks in advance of the 2 hour show. The troops would be annoyed. And really, most of our best guys and best gear are working hard at the front lines.

Maybe they can tow 50% of our jets down the street that are too broken to fly, during budget shortages from Obama's sequester??

09-Feb-18
Big deal. We have military air shows all the time. Get over it

09-Feb-18
I know for a fact that whenever a wet tee shirt contest is held at San Onofre Beach, you will get half of 1MARDIV to show up.

. . .

Same goes for Atlantic Beach, half of 2MARDIV shows up with the 82d Airborne right behind them.

So, make the parade at the beach, include a bikini contest, and let the troops show up in casual beach attire, and they will be happy.

Otherwise, Bowsniper is spot on with his assessment.

09-Feb-18
I served in the USCG. The parades we did gave the people opportunity to celebrate the military. They are NOT about the military themselves but about giving opportunity for the military to be honored and loved. By the way, personally I hated being in parades. But once I understood (through my XO) why we do them, I completely agree with them. I support Memorial Day parades and Veterans Day parades. Why not active duty??? Besides that, they are going on every week somewhere in this country.

09-Feb-18
I think Trump envisions our great missiles rolling down the street with troops in perfect step, like the NK and Russians. Show em our troops look better and our weaponry more advanced and ominous. I get where he is coming from... but with several wars in progress our stuff that runs is tied up. Who is going to scrub main battle tanks so they can roll on display? Our tanks and troops are kinda busy right now... Maybe instead of grandstanding our great gear and capability, we continue to SHOW them overseas, and have a BIG welcome home event when the battles are done.

If showing rockets is important (and it is) we just had the best display ever with the Falcon heavy launch!!!

09-Feb-18
Mint & spike78

x2

09-Feb-18
I think instead of one BIG parade, little ones around the country where the locals can get out and show their appreciation. Big bold stuff is the mark of tin pots....

09-Feb-18
If and when this parade happens you can bet your bottom dollar Atheist will have a front row seat so he can run out and get all that FREE CANDY!!!

09-Feb-18
Checkers vs. chess again.

Trump mentions wanting a military parade and the entire #NeverTrump universe goes bonkers.

09-Feb-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

10-Feb-18
From what I have read this parade is meant to honor our troops vs flex military power. We don't need to flex, everyone knows we have the best and most advance weaponry in the world.

That said Bowsniper is correct that a parade would just piss off the troops. July 4th will probably hot, maybe humid, and would just flat out suck. I think the only thing that would make our brave warriors enthusiastic about this would be if they marched to Tony's beach where a few 1000 hot chicks (and guys for the women) where waiting in wet t-shirts to give them free beer and the possibility of hooking up. Then again that would go against all of the anti drinking and ethics training they have been forced to endure.

10-Feb-18
Annony, it’s not just the left and the NeverTrumpers. I see a lot of people from the right and a lot of current military and vets calling the idea of a military parade third-world, communist, dictatorial, propaganda BS.

The rational side of me agrees. However, the Mardi Gras loving New Orleans side of me that is about to get on a float today and ride in a parade says “YESSSSS!!!!!”

I’m torn.

10-Feb-18
As a veteran who actually participated in parades, I can say that troops universally hate them. Does the money spend improve readiness, or enhance our ability to accomplish the missions that are tasked? Does it improve the lives of our service members? No? Then let's not do it just to give Trump a boner.

10-Feb-18

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Whooo hooo parade!
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Whooo hooo parade!
Me: A parade...what a terrible idea!!

Also me: ^^^

10-Feb-18
Queers and Steers OK. Military not. Typical of Obamanites. Over 500,000 Lezies and Lizzies , Queers and Steers in S.F. Parade tell us what is wrong with this nation. Drain that swamp and put the filth back in the outhouse they came out of. Start respecting out military and put the Rob Neils and self agrandizing bunch of Obamanites where they belong. I respect Navy Seals. I do not respect Rob nor any one that breaks rank and self promotes himself for executing any man. He should have done the job and shut his mouth like the other Seals. Plus Obama outed the doctor that told us where Bil Laden was and he is still in prison in our so called allies Pakistani jail. I want to see this all turn around on the wickedness promoted by Bush , Obama, Clinton and all the rest of you OWO freaks that hate this country. God bless, Steve

10-Feb-18
Sexby, Slow down man, you are starting to babble. I don't think a single word you typed is relevant to Trump's wish to have a military parade.

11-Feb-18
Rick , Your agenda is showing.

God bless, Steve

11-Feb-18
Sexby, what "agenda" would that be?

11-Feb-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

11-Feb-18
Man Steve.... for such a religious guy.... you sure don't like a wide range of people..... God bless. Chris.

11-Feb-18

11-Feb-18
Can't, spending too much on illegal aliens.

12-Feb-18

13-Feb-18
Having this military parade in NK, now that's a different idea.

I've been to no large military parades but I've been to too many parades with military in them while in the Marines. It is not something that is looked forward to unless your in the Drum and Bugle corps. A large military parade won't kill the troops but I believe it's a waste of time, money and resources. Marine Corps recruit graduation parades are not large.

13-Feb-18
I have been thinking about this. A modern day military parade would have to include a lot of keyboard operators, pencil pushers, etc.

14-Feb-18
"I have been thinking about this. A modern day military parade would have to include a lot of keyboard operators, pencil pushers, etc"

?

Where does this come from? Have you served or have any facts to support this assertion?

Grunts do parades as complete units while "pencil pushers" as you call them bring small numbers because they are working to support the Infantry. They get them paid, trained, fed, etc. and in today's operating environment many people perform as infantry downrange whether they want to or not. Days of calling folks REMF is gone because there really isn't a rear.

Why don't you guys push to have civilians walk the streets to support the military rather than having them March for you and the guy you voted for like some third world dictatorship?

14-Feb-18
gflight, warfare has changed. A very high percent of the battle is now fought by computer, technology, etc. This is not meant to disparage in any way those who actually put their lives on the line, only to point out that the hardware and manpower that could be marched down the street would not be the entire picture.

The midget dictator could put forth a parade that would probably overshadow what the US could do, but the battle if it came would not last long and the dictator would not win.

It would be a team effort by forces seen and forces unseen. Many do not understand that.

14-Feb-18
Some troops may like being required to march in a parade before they can go see their families after a long deployment but I think most would rather just go home.

Families and civilians standing and cheering buses coming in, wonderful idea.

Tired troops parading for civilians when they get home from deployment, stupid.

This parade idea from Trump is just stupid as well and I don't just feel that way because the person they would be marching for is a draft dodger.....

14-Feb-18
No maps, no intelligence gathering, no money transferred prior to computers?

You can fly a drone at a parade as easy as bomb a wedding party.

Can you explain a little more how sterile war is since "A very high percent of the battle is now fought by computer, technology, etc."

14-Feb-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
"Can you explain a little more"

Not for somebody who cannot or will not understand.

14-Feb-18
I think you have a sterile view of warfare and wanted to help you check your perceptions is all. Intelligence gathering has always been a large part of warfare. Have a great day...

14-Feb-18
gflight, I grew with a WWII veteran father and have understood war since I was quite young.

My dad always gave most of the credit to the entire chain of people that supported his time in the air.

He also knew that an effective military must be willing and able to kill people and destroy things if necessary.

There are men, ships, and planes at the bottom of the Pacific that my dad helped put there.

14-Feb-18
Anyone heard from Dan (blue dog/wolf)?

Haven't see him post for a while?

14-Feb-18
HA,

While warfare has changed, one thing hasn't. It takes infantry, boots on the ground to win a war. Everything else is in support. Not minimizing or of less importance, just a fact. Air force cannot take and hold ground. Nor can the Navy, not drones. Not even an armored battalion without support infantry. Infantry, Queen of Battle.

Tom

Son of a WW2 vet. Gunner in a tank destroyer battalion. M18 Hellcat.

14-Feb-18
No doubt that there is no substitute for boots on the ground to take and hold territory.

14-Feb-18
Bowbender, he has understood war since he was quite young I am sure no one can tell him anything he doesn't know already......;)

15-Feb-18
gflight, there is a vast difference between understanding and knowing everything. I understand, you apparently know everything.

15-Feb-18
I agree HA. Can you really measure understanding? I always disliked that verb. "Knowing everything" could be observable and measurable and even verifiable, but understanding? It seems to me like something someone would say when they don't want to be challenged. "I understand" What are you even saying? especially when you take an ambiguous topic like warfare.....

$30 Million estimated for the Parade and they want to make the troops do it on Veterans Day!

We appreciate your service this Veterans day, get out there and march....

15-Feb-18
I want to echo Iktomi in that I had to endure a couple of parades in my time while I was in. I didn't much care for them and I don't think it's a great idea to make our already over extended troops, airmen and sailors to march in them. I think Trump will lose a lot of our servicemens support with this.

15-Feb-18
gflight, are you somehow under the impression that I think there should be a parade?

15-Feb-18
No.

15-Feb-18
So, what is your beef?

15-Feb-18
No beef.

I disagreed with your comment....

"A modern day military parade would have to include a lot of keyboard operators, pencil pushers, etc"

I asked a clarifying question....

Then you said i cannot or will not understand.

Then you called me a know it all.

It also struck me funny that you said you understood warfare from a young age.

I have always liked you even when we are bantering.....

15-Feb-18
OK to clarify, are you saying that non-combat personnel are or are not an important part of our current military capability?

15-Feb-18
I never said either way. I explained who is normally involved in parades which was the topic..

• Sitka Gear