Woods Walker 08-Feb-18
shade mt 09-Feb-18
shade mt 09-Feb-18
Grey Ghost 09-Feb-18
Owl 09-Feb-18
South Farm 09-Feb-18
jjs 09-Feb-18
08-Feb-18
Started watching the Gettysburg movie. It is one of my favorite movies. The thought occurred to me how horrible it must have been to shoot at your own countrymen. I get sick of the Liberal crap sometimes. but we best learn how to resolve our differences.

I never want to see the day when the men of this country go to war against each other again. I cannot imagine what it would be like to go through the belongings of a dead enemy and see what state they were from ect... War is always tragic, but war between brothers to me is something I hope and pray this country never has to go through again.

08-Feb-18
Agreed, and good post.

Sadly, there are some who actually seem to relish the thought of civil war, or even promote it.

Matt

08-Feb-18
Great post shade!!

I too hope I never have to see that...

08-Feb-18
"War is always tragic, but war between brothers to me is something I hope and pray this country never has to go through again."

- In my worldview, all war is war between brothers and sisters. War is manifested ideology. War is failure. Not necessarily multilateral failure(s). One's hand can be forced. And, as such, the only thing worse than war is not fighting the ones you should.

08-Feb-18
shade, I'm certain you read the book. As good as the movie was, it was a much better read. ;)

08-Feb-18
If you Push a man, he will likely give you room. However, if you force that man to fight for his family's safety and future, he will do so with such a vengeance that remorse will be nothing but an after thought. Unfortunately, identity politics may sure enough lead to this in time. Because, when people no longer posses the ability to reason without lead, you have a dangerous society. And, it appears that is growing ever more common by design.

08-Feb-18
Well one way to do it is to have one set of laws that you strictly enforce on one part of the population, and then completely give a free pass to another part of the population to the extent of REWARDING them for not following the law. That will NOT end well.

08-Feb-18
As long as man behaves as man, war will always exist.

Not too many alive today that can relate to what happened in the Civil War.

08-Feb-18
Politics aside, the reason why most confederate soldiers (not the officers necessarily, but the "grunts" actually doing the fighting and dying, and who overwhelmingly did NOT own slaves) joined their "cause" was because the north invaded the south. They were fighting to protect their homes and families. They had no TV, radio, and even the printed media was WEEKS behind any real "news", and certainly no politics.

09-Feb-18
Sometimes I think a lot of people use the slavery issue as the sole reason for the civil war...it was not.

I in no way shape or form, believe in slavery, and I for one would certainly fight to free other men. But Woods Walker is right, many people in the south did not own slaves, and they simply wanted to be left alone and have the right to govern themselves.

HDE is also correct in the fact that "not to many can relate to what happened in the civil war" that is a certain for sure.

And WV mountaineer made a very good point as well...when he said .."If you Push a man, he will likely give you room. However, if you force that man to fight for his family's safety and future, he will do so with such a vengeance that remorse will be nothing but an after thought.".....That is also true, I can take quite a bit even if it is directed toward me...but you say or do something to my wife or kids....and it will not end well for you.

09-Feb-18
LOL...despite this topic, one of the quotes in the movie refers to the "top brass" When Gen Buford says....." the Indians have a saying: follow the cigar smoke and you'll find the fat men there"

I gotta laugh every time I hear that......to my discredit, I can be a little rough on men with soft pink hands and 3 piece suits. So I kinda find humor in it.

Yet there is some truth to it simply because I believe that although well educated rich might pay the working man...... it's the working man that actually gets the job done.

09-Feb-18
Without the cigar smoking "fat man" there'd be no job to do.

Matt

09-Feb-18
Also remember, in those days, "country" had a different connotation. In common vernacular, 'country' was a synonym for state. People defined themselves by their state of residence before their nation.

And all of this is semantics, really, because nothing makes a subject alien so quickly as shooting at those beholding him.

09-Feb-18
Shade, I hope it never comes to that either, but one thing for sure is it will be a pretty damn easy war being how liberals hate guns and all. Most of 'em will probably hide out in their mommy's basements. On second thought, let's just get it over with and have the damn war so we can right the ship as they say!

09-Feb-18
Lost of 'civil rights' will cause it and we were heading down that road with Obama's big government ideology. Government dictates to the people instead of the people dictates to the Government and this is the difference between the liberals and conservatives, once 'we the people' would be deleted and the civil war would begin.

• Sitka Gear