Heat 12-Feb-18
NvaGvUp 12-Feb-18
Beendare 12-Feb-18
slade 12-Feb-18
NvaGvUp 12-Feb-18
Charlie Rehor 12-Feb-18
Beendare 13-Feb-18
08-Feb-18
The 49er's have signed Jimmy Garoppolo to a five year contract valued at $137,500,000!

That's $27,500,000 per season, $1,716,750 per game (based on the sixteen game season) and $31,250 PER SNAP, assuming fifty-five snaps per game.

That's the richest contract ever in the NFL and ya' know what? Given the way salaries are soaring for top-tier QBs, the 49er's probably got a very good deal.

The signing of Garoppolo will also be a YUGE advantage when the free agent season opens, because a lot of really good players are now going to want to be part of what Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are building in SF

08-Feb-18
Maybe they should have brought Kapperpunk back? He's a lot cheaper........Grin

I look at it this way;

Who would I rather have; Carr? Stafford? Both QB's making similar $$.

Heck no....I know he only has 5 games under his belt...but I think it was the right thing to do and look forward to 49er football again. The beginning of last season was unwatchable.

08-Feb-18
Where's the NFL gonna get that kind of cash? I thought everyone was boycotting ALL NFL stuff?!!

08-Feb-18
Bruce,

Yup! Until Garappolo became the starter, the 49'ers were indeed unwatchable.

Yet the last five games with Jimmy were incredible.

In the eleven games pre-Jimmy, the 49'ers averaged 17 points/per game and went 1-10.

With Jimmy, they went 5-0 and averaged 28.5 points/game and beat three playoff teams.

08-Feb-18
Good for him

08-Feb-18
They should have never traded Smith when they had to choose between him and Kaep. Running quarterbacks win games, throwing quarterbacks win championships. That has been proven ad nauseum.

08-Feb-18
Kyle, Yeah....what a difference maker one guy makes- the right guy.

Heck just look at the Pats without Brady.....where would they be? The Pats have about 6 good players is all....with Brady, Gronk and Amendola accounting for the bulk of the Pats production.

Its a QB league...you have to have a good QB. Heck the best defense in football couldn't hold Brady under 500 yds. We've seen it multiple times this year where the QB puts the team on his back; Brees, Wentz, Ryan, Rodgers, Goff,Watson, Foles....these guys can carry a team.

08-Feb-18
I would like to read the fine print on that contract. TD's-Ints, injury, games played, guaranteed money, year to year production, pass attempts, passing yds, playoff appearances, QB rating. This a just a short list. Teams have become just adept as agents when negotiating these deals. The money is big no doubt but some get a fraction in the end unless you have along and successful resume'. If Jimmy gets that Nick Foles will own a island someday soon. ;-)

The Rock

08-Feb-18
Rocky,

$90,000.000 GUARANTEED!

08-Feb-18
Yep..."Goodbye NFL"....my ass.

Matt

08-Feb-18
Word on the street is Brady wanted him out of NE. Pats were really liking him but Brady didn't want what might be a franchise QB breathing down his neck. Not when Brady has publicly stated he plans on being there as starter for several more years. Belichick being Belichick.... he wanted a plug and play guy ready at a moments notice, especially with a QB who is arguably at the end of his career. Bill's rep as a loyal ol' softy is well known...... heheheh...

Brady knows the dance..... was a back up for a while under this other guy named Drew Bledsoe.....

Interesting power struggle between Brady and Belichick...... Brady won...... 49ers won... Pats lost..... again....

08-Feb-18
"..... Pats lost....."

Gee. Ya' think?

SF gave NE a 2nd round draft choice for a guy who is likely to be one of the best QBs in the league for years.

That's outright theft!

09-Feb-18
So much for the NFL going tits up..........

09-Feb-18
"SF gave NE a 2nd round draft choice for a guy who is likely to be one of the best QBs in the league for years."

Pump the brakes there big dawg. Let's see him at least complete a full season first

09-Feb-18
Yeah, what's he started , like 6 games?

This is idiotic money to an unproven commodity and SF may come to regret it. $90 million guaranteed is insanity. Nick Foles just won a Super bowl and looked great doing it, what's his salary?

09-Feb-18
I just looked, Foles contract is $11 million for 2 years.

09-Feb-18
It's Foles' NEXT contract that'll make him the big bucks.

09-Feb-18
"SF gave NE a 2nd round draft choice for a guy who is likely to be one of the best QBs in the league for years. "

To quote my favorite coach Bill Parcels: "Let's not put him in Canton yet".

He looks good yes, but sometimes guys don't live up to those huge contracts. Sometimes being a little hungry brings out the best in a QB. San Fran is betting big, and the potential payoff is huge.

They better get him good protection and a few guys who can catch the ball. A running game helps a lot too, oh, and a defense.

09-Feb-18
Ace,

They need a shutdown cornerback, an edge pass rusher, a couple of really good offensive lineman, and a total stud fast wide receiver.

They've got three solid receivers now in Garcon, Taylor and Goodwin, but they need a big guy who can over-power defenses, esp. in the red zone.

The defense got a lot better last season, esp. against the run but they still need more good players.

OTOH, they've got a league high $115,000,000 in cap space and nine draft choices in the upcoming draft.

09-Feb-18
"" for a guy who is likely to be one of the best QBs in the league for years.""

I believe we heard the same about the cop hating racist Kneeler. Time will tell, after the defensive coordinators etc have a chance to study him for a season.

09-Feb-18
Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young are praising Garoppolo, as are a lot of the 49'ers players and even players on other teams, such as Larry Fitzgerald.

Shanahan and Lynch know what they are doing. They ran last year's draft for the 49'ers and it's the best draft SF has had in ages.

09-Feb-18
"It's Foles' NEXT contract that'll make him the big bucks."

Maybe it shouldn't, that's my point. He had a nice run after Wentz went down, but that doesn't guarantee he'll be a star QB for the next 10 years.

Maybe it'll pan out for SF, but if he shreds his knee in training camp they'll still be out a cool $90M guaranteed cash.

09-Feb-18
He was a star for one year, then soon became a backup...

I think it's a fair bet the 49'ers will have a big insurance policy on Garappolo just in case he does get badly injured.

09-Feb-18
they will get their money's worth if he stays healthy. that is always a wildcard. most don't.

he had a chance to play four game for the patriots in 2016 and he lasted 5 quarters.

09-Feb-18
That's F'ing nuts....Aren't they the ones that owe their last few coaches millions as it is! Professional sports are out of control!!!

09-Feb-18
Ike can you imagine how much hunting you could do with 90 million?

09-Feb-18
"Hot" QBs are a YUGE gamble....... just ask the Texicans......

09-Feb-18
No jock is worth that amount of money!

09-Feb-18
Yeah what Bighorn said, it makes me want to vomit... This guy has had good partial season.. San Fran brass are idiots... but then again it is San Francisco...

09-Feb-18
Arrownocker82,

"San Fran brass are idiots."

Find me even ONE pro-football savvy person in the NFL who agrees with you.

Are Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Larry Fitzgerald, most of Garoppolo's teammates, Kyle Shanahan, John Lynch, and a long list of other respected professional football people who are unquestionably 'in the know,' "IDIOTS?"

09-Feb-18
2017 SEASON Pass Yds-1560

TD-7

Int-5

Them ain't $137M numbers.

09-Feb-18
I heard on the radio that this was a bogus story, and not true.

09-Feb-18
Kodiak,

67% completion percentage.

17.0 points/game scored by the 49'ers before he became the starter. 28.5 points/game after he became the starter.

The 49'ers had a 1-10 record before he became the starter and were 5-0 after he became the starter, including wins over three playoff teams.

Two of his picks were clearly caught by the receiver, who were then stripped of the ball AFTER the receiver clearly had possession. Are those Garoppolo's fault?

But hey! You seem to know more about football and what it takes to be a top QB than do Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Kyle Shanahan, John Lynch, Larry Fitzgerald and pretty much all of Garoppolo's teammates, but then, what do they know?

09-Feb-18
Nevermind - what I heard was that someone pranked the Boston Globe, feeding them a story that Brady was not going to practice for next season, unless he got the same deal as Garoppolo.

09-Feb-18
SF is gambling on an unknown upside with this kid. 7 starts isn't much of a resume to justify the highest salary in the league, IMO. It shows how starved the league is for quality QBs, just ask the Broncos.

Kirk Cousins isn't complaining. His price tag just went up YUGELY.

Matt

09-Feb-18
Matt,

Without question the NFL QB position is the most important position in all of sports.

Very few guys are capable of doing what the position demands at the highest level.

So when it come to contracts, supply is very limited while demand is unlimited.

Cousins may well get a better contract than did Jimmy G, but he's not even close to being as good.

09-Feb-18
NVa, just because those guys seem to like him, doesn't mean he'll pan out long term. You seem to think their opinion makes his success set it stone. Not so.

We'll see.

09-Feb-18
New England gave Bledsoe a huge contract back in the day...whatever happened to him?

Not much. Career passer rating 77.1.

09-Feb-18
Kodiak,

"2017 SEASON Pass Yds-1560" He only started FIVE games, for crying out loud!

That's an average of over 300 yds per game, which is a GREAT average!

09-Feb-18
Kodiak,

You should do a little research on Nick Foles. Did you forget he was All Pro and All Pro MVP his first full season with the Eagles with that lunatic Chip Kelly as head coach. 27- TD'-2 that two interceptions. Nick Foles has played in 4 playoff games his record 3-1 but could easily be 4-0. He rallied the team late in the 4th quarter for the go ahead lead but the defense collapsed and allowed the Saints the winning FG to end the game. Nick Foles was traded to St. Louis a terrible team under a Jeff Fischer system that was counter everything Nick Foles. Foles is the ONLY QB in NFL history to throw for seven TD'S no int's AND a perfect passing rating of 158.3 in a single game. He was the first ever in NFL history to a passing rating above 149.0 in consecutive games. His 19 td's to no ints. is second only to Peyton Manning who had 20. The guy simply excels on the big stage. 2017 playoffs....3-0 ....77 compl....106 attempts...compl.% 72.6...average yds per game 323.7....Passer rating 115.2. In the right system, play option/ RPO's some team is going to have to back up the truck to carry enough money for this guy. Carson Wentz is finished and will never perform to that level again. Few pocket QB'S have ever come back from the injuries he sustained ACL/LCL and a broken bone and NO running QB's and this guy likes to run. Deon Sanders is right when he said the QB that left the Eagles will not be the same one to return.

BTW...Watching Garoppolo I believe he easily has the best release in football which is a YUUUUGE advantage in this league. I was mightily impressed.

The Rock

09-Feb-18
Garoppolo sees the field, recognizes the defenses and adapts accordingly.

He has not only total command of what's going on, he also has the ability to get his offense to buy into whatever he calls and buy in with passion because they know he's a winner who only wants to make everyone better and win!

09-Feb-18
Still...$90 freakin million guaranteed seems excessive to say the least. Oh well, good for him.

09-Feb-18
Hey Rock, all I know is that Foles made the Vikes look like a high school defense! Lol

12-Feb-18
Garrapolo has the potential to be outstanding! He trained and learned under Brady for a while, they were side by side though training. I don't buy the power fight with Brady/Bellicheck, but I was shocked when they traded him. He was huge trade bait early, they had 3 QBs, all with potential and they kept him and traded 3rd string, I thought that meant he was Brady heir-apparent, then they traded him last second for nothing much.

It shows the fine line in talent it takes. Brady was Bledsoe's backup and was "nothing" til Bledsoe got hurt. Bledsoe had GREAT numbers but not under pressure against good teams, then he stunk. Brady came in and went from bench patrol to GOAT possibly. Garrapolo looks to be making the same push, riding the bench, made good use of his time til he got hurt, then traded to a starting position which so far so good. time will tell.

12-Feb-18
The Cardinals better find the right QB or they will be taking SF's place in the cellar of that division soon.

12-Feb-18
Bob H,

I agree.

Plus, if he doesn't pan out, the 49'ers can cancel his contract in March of 2021, meaning the guaranteed money is ~ $62M.

12-Feb-18
Did someone give a Kaepernick reference?

sore subject here....but lets compare; They were ga ga over Kaps raw talent. He could scramble and run. But on the other hand he wasn't the smartest tool in the shed....and he wasn't much of an accurate passer. He held the ball too much per his slow decision making.

Garrapolo has none of Kaps bad traits....and all of the good traits of the best QB's in the league. Yeah, lets see how he does for a season....but he has all of the tools including smarts it seems.

Make no mistake....its a QB league. Just look at the difference he made with the 49ers- first half vs second half.

Look at the Patriots; Who do they have for offensive play makers besides Brady, Gronk and Amendola? Their Defense is nothing special but they win over and over essentially due to one guy- Brady.

12-Feb-18
Speaking of Forty Whiners....

San Francisco 49er and Anthem Protester, Reuben Foster, Faces Domestic Violence, Gun Charges

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster was arrested Sunday for charges of domestic violence and possession of an “assault weapon.”

12-Feb-18
slade,

And that has exactly what to do with Jimmy Garoppolo?

It's looking like Foster is Aldon Smith 2.0.

Incredible talent, but no character or self control.

If so, BE GONE!

12-Feb-18
Wow Bwaadies back-up. Imagine what he’d get on the open market?

13-Feb-18
Foster fooled a lot of folks.

I heard a detailed account of how the 49ers did their due diligence investigating him prior to signing; They even had a member of the clergy talk to him.

So he threw his longtime GF's stuff out of their place and dragged her by the hair outside. Not only did he throw her out....but it seems he threw away his future at the same time. It will hinge on whether she files charges or not.....and on whether he learned his lesson or is truly a bad person. The NFL is not going to put up with this.

OH....and for those that have already convicted him.....keep in mind these guys are a huge target....getting preyed on constantly. One only has to research lottery winners to realize how difficult a large windfall is...then add that these guys are high profile superstars. I'm not making excuses...but its easy to armchair QB their behavior.

• Sitka Gear