HA/KS 02-Mar-18
HA/KS 02-Mar-18
HA/KS 02-Mar-18
Woods Walker 02-Mar-18
HA/KS 02-Mar-18
HA/KS 02-Mar-18
Woods Walker 02-Mar-18
10-Feb-18
We will be making a very quick weekend trip to NYC in a few weeks. Our son got a film accepted for the NYC Drone Film Festival again this year and they asked us to go to NYC with them.

We have never been there.

We will be staying near the WTC and plan to visit the Statue of Liberty.

We can't do much, but "any must not miss" recommendations?

10-Feb-18
Rangers Game at Madison Sq Garden

10-Feb-18
Nope. I can watch sports on TV. Never watched an NBA game and don't plan to start now.

10-Feb-18
NHL. I'm certainly not going to try to talk you into doing something you don't want to do but just food for thought, watching Hockey on TV and watching live are worlds apart

10-Feb-18
Statue of Liberty , Empire State Building , Jewish Deli for lunch and a stroll in Central Park. Unless Don Jr and Pat L have other plans for your day.

10-Feb-18
Stroll through Times Sqaure at night. Go to Fraunces Tavern, it's not far from WTC and General Washington gave his final farewell speech there. Good chow too. Take some time to reflect at the memorial (although I'm guessing you're staying down there for that reason). Go to Patsy's Coal fired Pizza in Spanish Harlem, during the day it's fine. The coal has been burning everyday since 1933. It's a thin crust Neapolitan to die for. It's on the east side 118th street & 2nd or third avenue. There are hundreds of "Patsys" and "Rays Pizza" but dont be fooled. The best is 118th street Take a horse Carriage Ride in Central Park. Our lovely mayor tried to ban them and put alot of good people & horses out of work, but we stopped him. Little advice: stay out of the subways, stay aware and if someone bumps & jostles you in a crowd, they are usually going for your wallet. Don't take no shit from the aggressive homeless or anyone else. Enjoy your trip here. There a no other place in the world like it. Mad Dog

10-Feb-18
Oh yeah. Congratulate your son. He's made the Big time! Mad Dog

10-Feb-18
when I am in NY the one thing I don't want to miss is the flight out of there

10-Feb-18
I grew up 20 miles from NYC and was only actually there maybe 10 times at most, and many of those occasions were as a kid with my family. Bou's got it right!

Congratulations to your son.

10-Feb-18
Henry.... Did you happen to see the drone show at the opening ceremony of the Olympics ?? Simply amazing......

10-Feb-18
After thinking about it, I'll say this. The last time I was there was the year before my dad passed away. He was in assisted living in New Jersey. My daughter was with me and we (my dad and I) decided to take a drive to Manhattan to show her what NYC is. It was a Sunday in the summer and a nice sunny day and my dad was the guide. We took the Holland Tunnel and of course there was a traffic jam. Nothing like being stuck UNDER A RIVER in traffic! But that aside, we did a quick (for NYC) spin around and drove by the Empire State Building and a few other well known landmarks. But in our travels we hit another traffic jam and made a few turns to avoid it when we suddenly turned and right there was Ground Zero. It hit me really hard because I wasn't expecting it. The feeling that came over me was indescribable, probably like what it would be should I ever see Pearl Harbor. This was in 2008, and there were still some of the adjacent standing buildings that still had damage. I would recommend that you do see that. NEVER FORGET!!!!

10-Feb-18
Amen, I never let ANYONE forget. When you scout through the names, please try to find Timothy Stackpole and Terrence Mc Geever. They were tough, great lads who perished that day for the FDNY. My brother played rugby and football with Timmy and I played with Terrence. The nicest guys you'd ever wanna meet and tough s.o.b.'s too! I get Choked up and pissed off when I think about them, their families, and what those bastards did that day. NEVER FORGIVE NEVER FORGET! yes, The traffic sucks but we deal with it, we are native New Yawkiz! Mad Dod

10-Feb-18
"try to find Timothy Stackpole and Terrence Mc Geever" On the one year anniversary, our students planned a ceremony. Among other things, they made crosses out of tongue depressors, painted them white, printed out an entire list of the known victims and put one person's name on each cross.

They put the crosses on a chain-link fence in the city park. The entire student body walked to the park and had a very appropriate and memorable ceremony with veterans, parents, and most of the entire town in attendance and participating.

I have never seen so many students so quiet as this bunch was as they walked to that park.

10-Feb-18
Visit Ellis Island too if you are at the Statue of Liberty. Just a ferry ride away. Cruise 42nd street near Port Authority and take a short walk to 34th st. Empire State Building. Madame Tausand, BB King's Lounge is near; so too is Times Square, Bryan Park and the City Library. Download the NYC bus guide to peruse/study which bus goes to where and get an all-day (or a few days) bus passes for everyone in your group. Flying into JFK take the air train, not sure if it's terminal #5. Take Q10 LTD to Kew Gardens@Union Turnpike/Lefferts Blvd; then take the A train to 42nd St. to paint the town. LaGuardia? no prob. Must savor Peter Luger's steak that's to die for, it's in Williansburg Brooklyn. Just a skip and a hop by bus or subway from Manhattan. To see the sights, take the bus. In a rush, take the subway and place your wallet in your front pocket. Seafood? City Island is the place to go to. The fish market in Manhattan is passe; never on weekends and Mondays. Also experience the theater while in Manhattan Central Park anyone? Enjoy your visit and be safe.

Memengako

10-Feb-18
That's a beautiful Story. There was a big uptick in Patriotism and parade attendance for a few years after that. It was nice to see but didn't last. Correction, Terence Mc Shane, not Mc Geever. Mc Geever was also on our team, and was a first responder too, but survived that day although way too many have breathing and lung ailments Well, You've got plenty to see now and so little time. Enjoy and make sure you follow up and fill us in. Trav safe, man. Mad Dog

10-Feb-18
HK: One thing to bear in mind when you're there is how CLOSE everything is distance-wise. Manhattan is about 2 miles E-W and maybe 14 miles N-S. When I lived in Wyoming I worked on a ranch that was bigger than that. Where you live you can SEE that far and to travel 2 miles isn't even enough to warm your truck up. In NYC it can take you a 1/4 tank of gas to go that far, and you best pack a lunch!

10-Feb-18
I used to go often but haven't been in years. The guys have mentioned most of the best spots. I remember one of the first times I went to the Statue of Liberty and went to the top of the Empire State Building. Great shows at Madison Square Garden and the Rockettes are unbelievable. The Saint Thomas Cathedral, In Manhattan, is something to see. They don't build stuff like that anymore.

11-Feb-18
Get on the train and head out to Oyster Bay to see Teddy Roosevelt's house. Also, find out who is buried in Grant's tomb.

11-Feb-18
Get on the train and head out to Oyster Bay to see Teddy Roosevelt's house. Also, find out who is buried in Grant's tomb.

12-Feb-18
The 9/11 museum is a must then walk the High Line for a little bit. Then the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square, The Museum Of Natural History, Central Park, Little Italy, Chinatown, Chelsea Pier are fun times too. My favorite place to eat is Jackson Hole Burgers.

12-Feb-18
When I worked in New Jersey from time to time I would drive to New York. Took a bus one time from my motel ,on Rt 9, but never again. I could damn near have walked to New York faster, they stopped every quarter mile. As soon as I got to New York I would get me some Hot Pastrami, it was absolutely great. Can't get it where I live that can even compare. They used to sell Hot Pastrami sandwiches right on the street. I also noticed that the stores that were having big going out of business sales were still going out of business for years.

12-Feb-18
Catch a show at Broadway. .. ..

.. ..

I watched Miss Saigon there 1995 or 1996. A great time indeed.

12-Feb-18
Do NOT miss the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier floating museum. Last time I was there the had an SR-71 on the flight deck. Very close to the statue of liberty I think....

12-Feb-18
Miss Saigon and Jersey Boys are the two best Broadway shows. Ever. Great call on the Intrepid. Mad dog

28-Feb-18
Hitting the road tomorrow! Less apprehension and more excitement and the day draws nearer.

28-Feb-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Make sure you get some pizza, and you don't have to be in NYC for that, anywhere in Jersey is good for pizza also. NY style pizza is unique.

Also, if you stop for breakfast anywhere in the NY/NJ area get some Taylor Ham/AKA Pork Roll with your eggs. It's a very regional thing and also very unique. Just don't get your blood pressure/cholesterol checked after eating it!

28-Feb-18
That picture is making me hungry just looking at it, and I just ate dinner!

01-Mar-18
Central Park for certain. You've seen so many movies filmed there, so every step will trigger a memory or two.

01-Mar-18
Just don't do it at night, or what it "triggers" won't be a memory!

01-Mar-18
Henry don't forget to leave your nasty firearm home and locked up, no sympathetic people in NY on that idea.

01-Mar-18
Yes, only the thugs are armed in NYC so you're safe!

02-Mar-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
View from our room tonight. Fairly new and amazingly affordable for being just two blocks from Wall Street.

View towards Hudson River.

Son can see 1 Wall Street building from their room.

02-Mar-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
We have found most people to be friendly and helpful.

Visited Chelsea Market this evening at request of wife. I had Sushi and Lobster Bisque. The rest had Australian pies.

Visited the site where George Washington took his first oath of office.

Humbling.

02-Mar-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
We had lunch at O'Hara's Irish Pub near the WTC.

The walls are covered with first responder patches.

Food was delicious and reasonably priced. Service was as friendly as any place in KS.

02-Mar-18
Did you bring your lead shoes? Got a 'nor'easter hitting there, so you'll get a taste of what the east coast version of a prairie blizzard is (not that it comes close to a prairie blizzard!)

Now a hurricane on the other hand.......YIKES! But at least you won't freeze to death.

Enjoy your trip Henry!

02-Mar-18
We even rode the subway. Made us remember "Pusher" from Sergeant York.

WW, the weather is not bad at all. In KS, we would hardly notice weather like this (except that we really need the rain) and it would not interfere with our normal routine.

02-Mar-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Forgot the subway photo.

02-Mar-18

Maybe it hasn't hit yet. My daughter lives in Arlington Virginia and they're having wind gusts up to 65 MPH.

I just checked the weather for Manhattan and they're calling for wind speeds of 23 to 28 MPH and gusts to 55, so compared to Kansas that's a calm day. So never mind!

It reminds me of when I moved to Wyoming and when I'd go back east to visit, people would complain about a day with winds in the 20's being "too windy" I'd just laugh at them.

• Sitka Gear