foxbo 14-Feb-18
Woods Walker 14-Feb-18
memengako 15-Feb-18
HA/KS 07-Mar-18
HA/KS 07-Mar-18
11-Feb-18

HA/KS's Link
From the link:

"Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working.

“How can we live our lives when we’re working most of the day and you have to pay so much just to live?” Walsh, who booked timeshare tours for a living, said to the New York Post.

“Most of the work you do goes to your home. There has to be another option,” she added.

So, the Colorado couple sold all their furniture and their SUV and purchased a 49-year-old boat in Alabama to live on and eventually sail the world in.

Nearly two days into their venture, the couple’s boat capsized in a channel of water called John’s Pass.

However, the couple, who has been left with just $90 in cash, no jobs and no boat insurance, say they are still hopeful for their world-sailing plans and have started a GoFundMe begging people to help them “not give up on [their] dreams.”

Not yet thirty and "tired of working." Give them shovels and let them work from can see to can't see in all kinds of weather six days a week for a few years to earn food, shelter, and clothing. then we will listen to "tired of working."

Totally stupid and now they expect people to pony up to pay them to do it again? Bet they voted for the ME ME ME president and were heartbroken when hilary lost.

11-Feb-18
The comments on the article are worth a read.

11-Feb-18
That's the attitude of a lot of folks today and it aint just young folks. My inlaws voted for Hillary and they are in their 70s.

11-Feb-18
Not getting a lot of sympathy in the comments are they? I was tired of working at 26 years of age also. I wanted to spend all my time hunting and fishing. That was 30 years ago and I'm still tired of working. ;)

11-Feb-18
Two clueless Snowflakes and, "We're entitled," idiots.

I have no sympathy.

I suggest they get freaking jobs and learn the reality of life!

11-Feb-18
I suggest they remain where they are and fend for themselves after the $90 soon runs out. It'll be the best lesson they could ever learn.

Who wants set odds that they won't go seek out their local armed forces recruiting office to find a way to put food on the table?

11-Feb-18
Geez. Morons...

I grew up dirt poor, was on my own at age 15 and learned REAL quick that if I didn't work, I didn't eat. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

11-Feb-18
They can just go join the rest of the "working is too hard" crowd, and pitch a tent with the homeless. Hopefully the dog will run away and find a good home.

Sadly, much of America has seriously lost it's spine.

11-Feb-18
Not eating puts "the burden" of work in proper perspective. Work is an unbelievable blessing. Well, at least, in a capitalist economic system.

11-Feb-18
I'll wager 1,000:1 that if they voted in 2016, they voted for The Witch From Hell.

I'd also wager that every single one of the damned fools who gave them $$$$ for their 'GoFundMe' campaign also voted for the Witch From Hell.

Although I suspect the guy who gave them $7 did so as a way of sticking a finger in their eyes.

11-Feb-18
Just more Democrat "base".

11-Feb-18
I know of a fellow who lived on a sailboat on the West Coast. Bright fellow who could not bring himself to assimilate. But he had the decency and integrity to work as a bagger at grocery stores. He wanted a "fluid" means of employment so he could hoist anchor and sail whenever he felt the need and baggers were always in demand it seems. I believe there is honor in that.

11-Feb-18
I left home at 17 and there was never a possibility of help in the future. Helped on folks funerals, suppose I should send these snowflakes some money?

11-Feb-18
Exactly how clueless do you have to be to set off to sea for the rest of your life with all of $90 in your pocket, with no sailing experience and ZERO clue about money?

Just how far did they think their $90 was going to take them?

How much food would it buy when they landed in some far off Carribean port and needed to resupply?

How much TP would that $90 buy, and how long would it last?

What about even minimal maintenence on that 48 year old boat they bought?

Healthcare? WHAT Healthcare? Who needs healthcare when you drink water and buy food in third world countries with little if any sanitation policies?

Clothes? Who needs clothes? Clothes are only needed because evil capitalists have told the masses they must wear clothes.

11-Feb-18
Yeah but they identify as Popeye and Olive Oil!

11-Feb-18
I always said nothing beats a failure but a try. As ludicrous it may sound we do live our lives in reverse order. We should be retired from 0-40 when we are young and our sensitivity to world experiences through youth reaches its zenith. After forty becomes the time to make the sacrifices and play your hand out to the end as you spiral downward. Think about it the next time you reminisce about the space and time of your vital youth spent working away long hours spending time as if it would last forever. That wanting sensation to return to freedom leaves a regretful taste in your mouth AND mind if you are being truthful to yourselves. ;-)

The Rock

11-Feb-18
Sorry Rocky, but the best years of my life were when I was producing things like crazy and helping clients succeed beyond their wildest expectations!

The 'rewards' I got from doing that were unrelated to the financial rewards which resulted. The rewards for me were because I was succeeding at the highest level imaginable and my clients were benefitting from it.

11-Feb-18
You only have to deal with what life has dealt you if you choose to do that.

Otherwise people would have never built successful businesses/careers with humble beginnings. Granted, some are coddled from the start and given great opportunities for free.

We work hard to play hard and to get ahead or have the things we want. If it's just getting by you're concerned with, it doesn't take much. Toys and play for most comes with a big price - your time. The more debt you have, the more time you have to donate.

The key is: if you love what you do, it's not work.

11-Feb-18
tarpon marina to anclote island, about an hour with sails stowed....anclote to john's pass about 3 hours using a paddle

took them 2 days to accomplish in perfect weather, might wanna rethink their life of independent dependence

11-Feb-18
When I saw that title, I thought this thread would be about Briarcliff Manor. There are many similarities.

11-Feb-18
HDE,

"The key is: if you love what you do, it's not work."

Exactly!

When my career took off, Alpha Beta, my local grocery store, was giving away 'scratchers' worth potentially a LOT of money when you went through the checkout line.

I refused to take them, because I was having too much fun EARNING my money and wanted to EARN what I was getting, so therefore did not want to get 'free shit' for just showing up.

Seriously. I did that!

11-Feb-18
"They probably have student loans and want to disappear so they don't have to pay for them... bet they voted for Bernie.".

One the better comments below the story..

11-Feb-18
I bet they will be getting welfare and food stamps before the end of the week.

11-Feb-18
Did any of you look at their GoFundMe page (there's a link in the article)? Their goal is $10,000 and they're already at $8,360. I kid you not!

11-Feb-18
Hahahahaha!!! What does that guy see in the mirror when he's brushing his teeth?

Gofundyou?!? How about Gofunkyourself?!? Charitable dollars are limited. I find it abhorrent that any money goes to these clowns. Even the seven dollar pledge. That's money that could have gone to someone with an actual, critical need.

Not that I am beyond reaching out for help, though. A while back, I was flagging. The cumulative impact of my work schedule, my wife's career challenges and a clumping of everyday life aggravations were getting to me. I requested help from some of you here. I asked for an F. Lee Ermey style dressing down and verbal kick in the azz. Several guys PM'd some good creative stuff. I appreciated it and I think they had fun.

I believe some salient points delivered in colorful, descriptive and brutal language would take Pug-hugger the metrosexual sailor much farther than any undeserved collection of monetary donations.

11-Feb-18
When I was in my 20s I commercial fished, salmon and Albacore. The furthest we got offshore was 250 miles. Mexico to Canada. Why anyone would want to go out in the ocean sailing “for fun and adventure” is nuts. We encountered one such boat offshore in our group. Thirty foot swell and wind getting over 45 with no let up. All but one of our group headed for port. A 20 hour run. Early the next morning flares were going off and it was the sailboat we had seen the day before. Radio quit boat ripped apart and scared white. The fishing boat called the coast guard. They stayed by the sail boat for 24 hours until the coast guard arrived. By this time they had drifted in and down the coast so far they went into port. In those conditions it would have taken them 30+ hours to get back offshore. Fun and adventure. I hope they got their fill. Most people sail around close to shore and think it’s fun. What they don’t realize is offshore in the pacific you wake up to wind and it just gets worse. In three years of fishing we had four days of beautiful calm sunny days. And on the 4th all hell broke loose.

11-Feb-18
"Their goal is $10,000 and they're already at $8,360"

Wow! Need to change the thread title to : "It Pays to be Stupid"...

11-Feb-18
Elk, more like "the stupid are paying."

11-Feb-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo

11-Feb-18
Kyle, Tell yourself all the stories old men tell themselves that validates being old. Youth can not know how old men think and feel, but old men are guilty if they deceive themselves and forget what it was like to think and feel being young. I will never forget what a time it was and a time that could never ever be replaced no matter acquisitions or accomplishments that may have accumulated, save family, in my life.

The Rock

The Rock

12-Feb-18
If we were retired at a young age to go out and do what we wanted a lot of us would be dead. All males have done some life threatening things in our younger years in between work on our days off. If we had 24/7 to go out and do these things many would die. I know I would have been one of those.

12-Feb-18
If I hurry I can be one of those who helped them reach their goals.

12-Feb-18
Rocky,

There's a difference between being adventurous and being flat out stupid and clueless.

12-Feb-18
I've spent a fair bit of time on the water further south from John's Pass in the Cape Corral area, as well as in the Everglades. I can tell you it is NOT the place to cut your boat navigating teeth. The most up-to-date nautical GPS maps aren't ever accurate for water depth, channel locations, oyster beds, sand bars, etc....because those things are constantly changing. I'm sure EVERYTHIG has changed in the wake of hurricane Irma.

Even experienced captains have trouble at times in Florida's Gulf side. I can't imagine the stupidity of a Colorado couple with little or no sailing experience trying to start out there. It would be like learning to drive a car on the most difficult 4x4 trails at MOAB.

Matt

12-Feb-18
Kyle, "There's a difference between being adventurous and being flat out stupid and clueless." When your young the entire spectrum is on parade as it should be. My grandfather told me long ago before we lost him (I love you Pop) that if a man can not tell interesting and incredible extraordinary stories of which they were a part about their youth, they never really lived. I believed it then and I believe it more so now when I tell my grandchildren "selected tidbits" of the craziness of excitement that seemed never ending in my youth. My daughter of 36 is mesmerized by the stories goading me to write a book, many of which my wife backs up, and my son of 46 rolls his eyes and furrows his brow in question. If only I could fill in the secret blanks that I keep from them they would surely have me committed but not before dental work would be required from their jaw hit the ground. ;-)

The Rock

12-Feb-18
Rock,

Did you set up account so others could fund your youthful indescretions? No, I didn't think so.

I'd like to say, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but apparently they won $10k. Smh...

12-Feb-18
Big Fish is great story in that regard, good movie too.

12-Feb-18
Something tells me we'll here from them again

12-Feb-18

$13k! Pretty soon they'll have enough cash to make their boat really nice before they scuttle it again.

12-Feb-18
Bowbender, If my youthful indiscretions were disclosed I would have signed a Hollywood deal years ago.

The Rock

12-Feb-18
Somebody needs to "go fund" me. Retired after turning wrenches for 42 yrs. and Social.Sec. just ain't cutting it!

13-Feb-18

$15.2!!!!

13-Feb-18
My goodness. I've went from low pay, to well over 6 figures, and back to just getting by in over 30 years of work. I'm the dumbest human being alive apparently. If I knew I could just pitch a sad story and raise enough to survive on, I'd took up hunting full time instead of going back to work. I'm just joking but this does truly disgust the heck out of me.

I have zero use for these two people. I have even less use for the people giving them money. How much better could their donations be used for the betterment of humanity is not debatable. What is mind boggling is the likelihood that the same givers here choose to help this thrash versus helping someone in real need. SMH.

13-Feb-18
WV, I agree with every word. The only thing worse than these two idiots is the gaggle of idiots giving them free money.

13-Feb-18
Look at it this way...the more these idiots pay for stupid "causes"...the less money they will have to donate to prospective Dem Senators in the upcoming Mid-Term Elections! The DNC has already shot their wad, they're almost flat broke (Clintons and Hookers are expensive)!

I say, let the stupid flow!

13-Feb-18
First of all, the typo is not relevant. We all occasionally err.

Second, giving to subsidize bad behavior is not good. These people are idiots. The only good news is that they can now do something stupid 200 miles from shore, before they can influence the gene pool.

13-Feb-18
you think they will claim the gofundmymistake money on their taxes?

13-Feb-18
Same as buying a homeless guy a house and a lifetime check for getting someone gas. All you need is a good racket and a few Marks....

14-Feb-18
"All giving is good."

Not even close.

14-Feb-18
I have a niece who plays that gofundmecrap. She claims to have two children with disabilities. She shows pics of the kids in wheel chairs claiming that they both have terrible disabilities and it's not true. The truth is she's a crazy bitch. She drives around in a new car, carrying the kids to whack doctors from VA to Michigan. It's a joke, except for the kids. She's a crazy bitch and has everyone fooled. The children are the ones who will suffer.

14-Feb-18
"The only good news is that they can now do something stupid 200 miles from shore, before they can influence the gene pool."

Great take! I didn't think of that!

15-Feb-18
While I was in the military, Special Services offers keelboat sailing classes and other essential for offshore sailing like celestial navigation, harbor marker recognition and basic rules of seamanship. 5 years before I was deemed qualified to man offshore regattas. Fun hardwork and fond and harrowing memories of hairy situations a thousand miles or more from land. Now retired from the canoe club, I turned myself into a landlubber, bowhunter, firearm gamehunter. Back to the thread, these people are desiring to sail away into the sunset and never to be heard from ever again.

07-Mar-18
Doc, why do you hate God?

Are you saying that giving to ISIS and other terrorist organizations is good?

There are people in America who willingly send money to all sorts of evil groups.

Do you also support giving to groups that lobby to make sex with children legal?

07-Mar-18

HA/KS's Link
"Retired physician sells his boat for $1 to young couple who sank their sailboat in 2 days"

It apparently does pay to do something stupid.

• Sitka Gear