Stalker 06-Apr-18
Bowbender 06-Apr-18
Will 06-Apr-18
Annony Mouse 06-Apr-18
Squash 07-Apr-18
HDE 07-Apr-18
Woods Walker 07-Apr-18
02-Apr-18
Just like the SAFE Act, Cuomo and his Democrat lackeys, in the wee hours of the weekend, passed another symbolism over substance gun law, . Now anyone in NY convicted of domestic violence must surrender all guns. Cuomo touted that,There were 35 gun related domestic homicides in NY last year, and again NY is leading the way. If you confiscate guns after you commit the crime, how does the new law prevent these homicides ? They may take your guns but isn’t the victim still dead ? And how do they know how many long guns you have ?

02-Apr-18
Ok your fav IMposter. Explain to us all, how you will keep the wife beater from having access to guns???

02-Apr-18
Beating your spouse is illegal.

02-Apr-18
A good sharp knife will fill that void. Just ask OJ.

02-Apr-18
Cuomo is exactly what he's always been...a genuine idiot.

02-Apr-18
"A good sharp knife will fill that void. Just ask OJ." Or the jihadis in London which recent surpassed New Yuck as the Knife murder extraordinaire in the western world. Assault knives should be banned and that include kitchen knives since they are so available in the houses of violent domestic whackos,

02-Apr-18
Ban stuff and people use other stuff while citizens are the victims....

"Any product a British citizen purchases for self defence, other than a rape alarm, “must not be a product which is made to cause a person injury. Possession of such a product in public (and in private in specific circumstances) is against the law.”

"The latest police figures for the 12 months to September 2017 from 44 forces show:

68,968 robbery offences, up 29% 138,045 sex offences, up 23% 37,443 knife crime offences, up 21% 1,291,405 violent crime offences, up 20%

There were 37,443 knife crimes and 6,694 gun crime offences recorded in the year to September."

Cuomo just wants to help the liberal citiots, if he keeps them victims there is always something to be done. All the while more freedom is voluntarily surrendered....

02-Apr-18
What about the innocent "wife beater"? The one that never laid a hand on his wife, but the wife I psycho and wants him out of her life? The wife that is bored with the marriage and found a new man, but can only think of one way to break off the marriage and not look bad to her friends and family?

Always be careful what you wish for or think is a good idea right away! I'd hate to see wrongly accused men suffer.

02-Apr-18
Men are guilty automatically....

02-Apr-18
Your fav poster, Are you kidding me, a reasonable law ? So if you beat your wife you shouldn’t have access to guns ? I guess I have to state to you the obvious, You don’t need to own a gun to beat your wife . So how does this law stop domestic violence ? And like I stated in my original post, Cuomo insinuated this law would end domestic homicides. How will this law do this if Cuomo gestapo will only confiscate your guns after the fact ?

02-Apr-18
Squash..you're problem is you're using common sense..lol

02-Apr-18
I know two brothers that got into a fist fight . Loser called the the law ....domestic violence conviction. It's not always women.

02-Apr-18
I can see someone that has commited a real violent crime like rape, ect.

Problem with the domestic violence clause is that in some states you can be convicted of domestic violence for whipping your kid.

It all goes back to the fact that these jack legs like Cuomo know these laws are a farce, they just want to appear to be concerned while at the same time accomplish their leftist agenda.

02-Apr-18
You have to be CONVICTED. In other words lots of evidence. And yes of you are convicted, you don’t deserve the privilege. If you’re convicted of DWI , you lose your license. Do some convicted of DWI still drive illegally? Sure. But the punishment still stands.

02-Apr-18
Paul, I agree if a person is guilty of REAL violence, the problem is a lot of common sense is not involved with the definition of domestic violence.

02-Apr-18
Domestic violence covers a whole lot of area and an arguement between a husband and wife could fall under those rules... you could lose your rights if deemed you threatened her during a heated arguement.

02-Apr-18
your fav IMposter. Side stepping questions again?? The LIARS Way. 8^))

03-Apr-18
At the risk of sounding dumb as a rock... Isn't this done already in some places? Im in MA, I know a buddy of mine who's wife accused him of assault had to hand his guns over to the local PD who kept them until he was cleared in court, then returned them. We have pretty strict, relative to the rest of the nation, gun laws, so maybe that's just here.

Regardless, isn't this law in NY based on "conviction" of domestic abuse, not accusation.

If that's the case, and a jury of my peers says: ________ person abused his spouse/kids so has to hand over weapons. I'm good with that.

It wouldnt have stopped the first - probably many times that person beat up his partner (or hers) - but given their choices, I have zero issue with this.

It seems better than here - where accusation can lead to confiscation... And I want upstanding, good citizens to be my fellow gun owners so we are showing people we are sane, responsible etc. I do NOT want people who are ok with beating up folks they supposedly love to have guns. They lost the right via conviction for a violent act.

At least to me.

03-Apr-18
If there is enough evidence of DV to issue a PFA and having to turn over firearms, than there should be enough evidence to arrest. Unfortunately that is not the case. Spouses (mostly women) will use PFAs to punish their spouse. Seen it happen numerous times.

05-Apr-18

Annony Mouse's Link
Life in a May Issue State: An Upstate NY Doctor’s Story of the Gun Control Buraucracy

by Dan Zimmerman |

Apr 04, 2018 |

72 comments

facebook twitter linkedin email

[reviewadinsert]

By Anthony Ferraioli, MD

I was denied my handgun permit by Saratoga County, N.Y. Mind you, the great majority of applicants are approved, not just in my home county, but in most of the surrounding Upstate New York counties as well, in spite of New York’s regressive policy of may-issue permitting.

I know, because I treat many permit holders in my private psychiatric practice, a mix of civilians along with law enforcement and military. I also know because I shoot my rifles alongside others at our local shooting range.

In fact, the most common thing I’ve heard since receiving my denial—curiously, dated November 1, 2017 but postmarked December 18 (more on that later)—is: “No way, Doc! You got rejected?”

Sometimes it comes from my patients—folks who have entrusted their own and their family’s lives to me, and, other times it’s from the range officers or other members at my shooting club.

“Yup, I was indeed denied.”

A little about me: I’m a physician specializing in psychiatry. I’ve written eight books dealing with numerous aspects of human emotion and behavior, as well as economics and greed in our culture. I attended Princeton University and later earned a medical degree at Albany Medical College where I interned in internal medicine and did a residency in psychiatry. I regularly serve as a media expert in my field, and have served in various medical capacities including community psychiatry, forensic psychiatry, and testifying as an expert witness. Currently, I have a private practice in Latham, New York.

I was born and raised in the New York metropolitan area, mostly in northern New Jersey. I didn’t grow up with guns or any gun culture Downstate, though my father was a World War II combat veteran. I bought my first rifle (only a background check required) in January of 2017 (a Ruger 10/22) followed a few months later by another rifle (a Marlin 60) to complete the set of classic .22’s.

And I’ve been having a blast with them— no pun intended. For the past year I’ve gone to the range almost every weekend because I found a community that I really enjoy and want to be part of.

Well, a month or so after buying that first rifle last winter I decided to apply for a handgun target permit. That”s New York’s license to own a handgun. Unusually in New York, Saratoga County requires you to obtain a target license before seeking a carry permit.

I put together all the requisite paperwork—including four recommendations from people who have known me for some years—and had it all notarized. I called the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Department in mid-February to schedule my appointment to be photographed and fingerprinted, and to submit the application. I had already taken the specific 5-hour basic pistol safety course and written exam required by the County.

I finally had my appointment at the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Department in mid-April 2017 and was told to wait about four months before expecting to hear anything about my application. In Saratoga County, you can wait somewhere between 4-6 months on average to hear the judge’s decision.

I waited 8 months. And then I only found out because I called the Sheriff’s Department.

Me: “Hello, My name is Anthony Ferraioli and I was hoping to get a status on my handgun target permit.”

Sheriff’s Office Employee: “Oh sure, let me get the folder.”

After a time that seemed a bit longer than I had anticipated, she came back on the line, sounding perturbed and a little upset: “Doctor, this has nothing to do with the Sheriff’s Department, you know. We don’t decide this.”

Me: “Ma’am, that’s okay, can you just tell me what it says?”

“It says you were denied. You mean the judge never mailed you this??”

“No, ma’am.”

“Would you like me to mail it to you?”

“Yes, please, if you would.”

And that was it. Done. Nine months of waiting, for nothing.

Meanwhile, I kept thinking, “Wait. I failed? Me?! I’ve been practicing medicine up here for nearly 20 years as a perfectly law-abiding, contributing member of this community!”

Then I thought, “Did I offend the judge somehow? Did he see a segment I did on TV and not like it? Did someone else who may not like me convince him to do this? What in the world is going on here?” It seemed so arbitrary and unjust.

Saratoga County requires that you wait a year after getting your target license before applying for the concealed carry permit. Then you have to take the prescribed concealed carry course from a specific vendor. If you pass that, you get your concealed carry permit.

I was interested in a faster track, if available, as I wanted to be able to protect myself, having testified in many cases seeking commitment to treatment for violent psychiatric patients as an expert medical witness in the Supreme Court of Albany County. I’ve also provided frequent television commentary on a myriad of controversial stories. So I sent a short letter to the judge respectfully explaining the reasons for my interest in speeding the process.

Yet—denied.

Reason noted on the rejection form? “References not supportive”—no judge’s signature, no one’s. Just a pre-printed form with reason #4 checked—that, and, “If you choose, you may reapply in 2 years”, with the “2” handwritten on a pre-printed blank line.

Well, I asked my references, and they were all very supportive. One of them actually cried, she was so upset for me. Another (one of the TV producers I work with, a concealed carrier himself, and the guy who introduced me to the shooting range) walked away in angry disgust. The third was my best friend who co-authored one of my books. The last is another TV producer—a neat young man who’s into guns and is a self-proclaimed “fan” of my work.

Now, back to those dates on the denial letter and the envelope: the statute of limitations allows only 30 days to appeal a denial. But the Court never sent me the rejection letter. The letter was dated November 1, 2017. By the time I called it was mid-December, and the envelope she mailed me was postmarked December 18th, 2017. So by the time I actually got the letter, it was too late to appeal!

Bottom line: whether my case represents a simple administrative mistake (as I’d like to assume) or something more personal or political, I do not know. Frankly, I don’t care. What I care about is the injustice involved here, as I’ve been denied—on no true, accurate grounds—my right as a U.S. citizen to own a handgun.

My parents came here on a boat from post-war Europe expressly in order that their children should not only have the opportunity to work hard and prosper, but so they would never face the arbitrary injustice that was all too familiar to them.

I love my life. I’m grateful for it.

I love being a physician. I am honored that my patients entrust me with their lives, with the endorsement of the State of New York. I took the Hippocratic Oath again recently at my nephew’s medical school graduation and I take that oath very seriously. In addition, as a psychiatrist—regardless how I feel about it—I’m to participate in making mental health assessments of gun owners under New York’s S.A.F.E. Act.

Except . . . I can’t have a handgun myself.

Arbitrary? Random? Weird? Complete contradiction? You bet. And it needs to stop, especially here in America.

I’m not used to feeling like a victim. I dislike using the term as it applies to my current situation. I just want to learn what happened and correct the mistake in order to improve things for future applicants.

We need to fix this. Not just for me, but also for my kids. And for you and yours.

Anthony Ferraioli, MD is a board-certified psychiatrist in private practice in New York state who enjoys target shooting. He often serves as an expert witness in criminal and commitment proceedings. He has written 8 books and frequently discusses mental illness and human behavior on TV and radio.

This post originally appeared at drgo.us and is reprinted here with permission.

05-Apr-18
So much for ".....the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The rule of law is dead in America. Sooner or later there'll be a spark that will start the next civil war, and it'll be the fault of those who defy the Constitution. May God help us.

06-Apr-18
Not all counties are the same here in NY. I live in Erie county where you will wait 6-12 months for a permit and neighboring counties you wait 6 weeks.

06-Apr-18
My CCW in PA was issued while I waited in the morning. Walked in at 8:15am, walked out around 9:00am.

06-Apr-18
Finger lakes region is awesome. Really cool country and good outdoor activity options for sure.

06-Apr-18
Simple answer: move out of the state. Not so simple when one has invested not only career, but life in a state that continually acts to remove more and more rights and privileges. As a physician, packing up and moving elsewhere leaves his patients without the kind of care that they have become accustomed to receive. If he has kids of school age, they are forced to leave the friends and places that they have grown up with. And his wife...what about her life.

Just picking up and moving and relocating is not just a simple solution as one might imagine. I know having done both "packing up" and "staying" in spite WRT my career.

07-Apr-18
Annony Mouse, I agree. Not so easy to pull up stakes and move, unless you only are renting an apartment, and have no family. Even though NY is run by the inept, corrupt politicians, the state still has much to offer. Not only the finger Lakes, but the Adirondacks, the eastern basin of Lake Ontario, perhaps the best fishing in the eastern USA, and much more. I’ve traveled around the country looking for a place to move to. Only to find that every state has it’s downsides.

07-Apr-18
Cuomo is an idiot and some people need more than 7 bullets to kill a dee-a.

07-Apr-18
Hmmm.......I must have missed that part of the 2A that talks about hunting, and deah hunting in particular.

• Sitka Gear