rooster 15-Apr-18
Your fav poster 15-Apr-18
JL 15-Apr-18
elkmtngear 15-Apr-18
Bentstick81 15-Apr-18
Jim Moore 16-Apr-18
Thunderflight 16-Apr-18
12-Apr-18
In 1989, at age 17, I skipped my first day of school as a Senior to go enlist in the US Army delayed entry program (11 months before I went in). I went in August 2nd, 1990. That just happens to be the day that Saddam Husain also invaded Kuwait. Our Drill Sergeants went out and wrapped towels around the heads of our flip down targets and told us we might as well get used to shooting at them.

I seriously doubt that would be allowed now. Might upset to many people today, I hope not, but I don’t have a lot of faith in people “doing what needs to be done” anymore.

My Mom told me that “skipping that day of school will follow me the rest of my life” (her way of showing disapproval). You should have seen my dad swell up with PRIDE when I responded to my mom “I hope it does”. My dad retired from the Navy with 24 years of service as a SeaBee. He fully understood, and approved.

12-Apr-18
I was on delayed entry right out of high school too Mike in 1984.... and went to boot camp in January 1985.... I did 2 tours active duty in the Navy... 7 years.... Thank you guys for your service !!!!

12-Apr-18
Recruiter asked me if I wanted to go to Chicago or San Diego for boot camp....... Ha !!!! No brainer. January...... San Diego. Went from there to Aircrew Candidate School in Pensacola Florida...... the same stuff the Officers go through in "An Officer and a Gentleman". They damn near drowned us there.

12-Apr-18
I spent the summer of 1965 at lovely Parris Island in South Carolina. Then I finally mustered out in '71.Becoming & being a Marine, no one can ever take that away. And thanks to all who have served. Semper Fi.

12-Apr-18
Dang bb that's one hell of a delayed entry. 11 years:)

I got to go to bootcamp for the national guard in between my junior and senior year of high school. I just couldn't wait to get in the military. Graduated high school and went back to Fort Benning for AIT. Came back home and joined the Corps, yup I got to go right back to boot camp. Not many idiots can say they've been to boot camp twice.

I work with the Army now and interact with a lot of officers. I have to constantly bite my tongue. There just desk jockies but I can't stand to see a fat slob in uniform.

12-Apr-18
Fat thumbs on a small phone... 1985. ;-). I edited it.

12-Apr-18
Joined the Navy at 19, spent 4 years and was about to reenlist when there was an ad in the paper for aircraft maintenance jobs in Viet Nam. So went from $270 per month to $1200. Spent 4.5 years in Viet Nam and joined the AZ Army National Guard because I liked working on helicopters and to keep my A&P current. Was a Huey Gunship Crewchief and door gunner. When the Guard unit got Cobras switched to OH-58 as an Aeroscout Observer. As I sat in the Copilots seat I actually learned how to fly/land/hover one. Retired from the Guard with 21 years of service.

My son was kinda like Scrappy. He joined the Naval Reserve between Junior and senior year and went to Boot Camp At SD. He was able to get an appointment to the Coast Guard Academy but couldn't do the math, so he joined the Marines and went thru another SD bootcamp. Did 6 years in the Corp, but decided that the Military was not for him.

That is the last as my grandson has asthma. So he couldn't get in.

Terry

13-Apr-18
I graduated from college in 68 and received a letter from Uncle Sam a month before graduation. I had applied to med school but got accepted at two foreign schools, one in Sweden and one in Mexico, so I decided to enlist in the Army and took all the tests for a special forces medic. They stuck me in a reserve outfit full-time after basic while the schools lined up. Had a hunting accident that put me in the hospital for a couple months and I signed wavers to stay in. They sent me to Devins for tests and still kept me hanging. After almost a year, they gave me an honorable discharge and I tried to get in the Air Force as I was healthy. They wouldn't take me either. They made the right choice because the damage to my guts was extensive and now haunts me with colonoscopies every year. The band I was in, every one of us enlisted and my bandmates all went to Vietnam. I really wanted to go too. Young, dumb, and bulletproof.

13-Apr-18
Graduated in 04' and joined shortly after, 13 or so years and 5 overseas deployments later, I can see my first retirement right around the corner. Best thing I ever did. Thanks to those that did it before me and for those after.

13-Apr-18
I also did the US Army delayed entry program. Joined August of 79 at 17 years old with my parents signature. I left for Basic Training June 16th of 80, 2 weeks after graduation from high school. Did 6 years as a MP.

13-Apr-18
Today's kids are good too. I know two young men in the Navy SEAL pipeline right now and a handful of young Marine officers. They for sure have what it takes and all planned and executed their dream to be in the military over years. It took my son two years to get into OCS during college. None ended up doing it by accident and there are lots of kids just like them. I meet them all the time.

13-Apr-18
Mike the Carpenter, my son sign up on the morning of 911, USMC. I told both sons if they enlisted to stay out of the Marines, the oldest listen he wet USAF, I was a USN Corpsman during Viet Nam. My youngest went through the invasion of Iraq and spent 28.5 mos. there with the Weapons Plt, after he got out he told me he wish he listen to me and went Navy. I told him I was proud of him for doing his best that he committed to and went through, no one can take away or demise what he did, he was a kid that hated pain - go figure.

13-Apr-18
JJS, tell them them both thank you. You raised them right. Thank you all for stepping up and doing the right thing when your country needed you. It’s a great feeling that not everyone will be able to experience. The brotherhood is awesome and a common bond and instant familiarization with anyone you meet who is also a Vet. You can virtually tell a Vet by how they carry themselves with pride.

I stopped at the recruiter on the way home that Tuesday (9/11), to re-enlist, but the offices were closed. Told my Girlfriend (now wife) my intentions when I got home that evening and we had a long, and I mean LONG, conversation that night. I went back to work the next day, and every time I drive past the same recruiting office...IT’s OPEN. I often wonder what would have happened had they not been closed. Just one of those things in life you will never know, or understand why certain thing happen the way they do.

13-Apr-18
I bet that today's kids are a lot better at being remote drone operators than any of us would be.

'Remote drone operator' - I guess if you are a drone operator, the 'remote' is implied...

13-Apr-18
Kids today are better at a lot of stuff. I am lucky to know some retired SEALs. I have had a couple tell me that they are in awe of the technology of today and will tell you very candidly it's a lot harder now than it used to be from a using your brains standpoint given the technology involved.......and none of those guys are stupid to start with.

13-Apr-18
I enlisted in the Army in 1986. My daughter is currently a Navy linguist (Somali & Arabic) stationed in DC. My other daughter is married to a Navy Helicopter Pilot stationed in Jacksonville. Very proud of my kids! Thanks to all the serve or served!

13-Apr-18
JTV - mosquitos were not the problem at Parris Island, it was the SAND FLEAS! Tortuous creatures that try to burrow into your sand colored skin. And can't swat or scratch them with the D.I. always watching or you'll be digging a major hole for a formal burial. Ha! Went in Sept 1983. While in boot camp the tempo picked up after the Beirut barracks bombing.

13-Apr-18
I joined the Army on the delayed entry program in 1979, the summer of my junior year in HS. I graduated HS May 30th of 1980, June 10th I was in boot at Ft. Dix, NJ. I got out of the Army from Germany in Nov 1989, processed out of the Army at Ft. Dix. Aug of 1990, I was back in NJ, but at Cape May doing boot again for the Coast Guard. Those were the only 3 times I have ever been in NJ. Not slamming NJ. I did just over 10 years in the Coast Guard for a total of 20 and am now enjoying military retirement benefits. My friends kid went in the Army last summer, at least he understands his generation will bring America down, his words.

13-Apr-18
"at least he understands his generation will bring America down, his words."

True or not, Pretty sh*tty thing to say...

13-Apr-18
"Recruiter asked me if I wanted to go to Chicago or San Diego for boot camp"

Big Bear, you got lucky. I defered my entry for almost a year. At the time, San Diego was still open. When it was time to go, SD had closed and Great Mistakes Illinois was my only option! The only reason I defered until October was because I was SURE I was going to San Diego!! Its the first time I ever shoveled snow from midnight to 6 a.m. for weeks at a time. And it gets cold next to that lake in the winter!

13-Apr-18
I had two seniors on my last year's cross country team. Both were in the top 10 of their class academically. One is now a Marine, the other, Coast Guard, stationed in Nome Alaska and loving it. My captain in 2015, a 2nd degree karate black belt is a Marine, special ops. A tough runner and someone you would not want to mess with even though he is a small, thin guy. My daughter spent 8 years in the Army, four years at Camp Casey, S. Korea, plus she was on the Army marathon team. She got out when Clinton slashed her unit. She now is with the USPS, along with her husband. Good kids. Any kid willing to join the military should be allowed to vote or buy a gun. The rest who rely on them to protect them can wait until they turn 21, in my opinion.

15-Apr-18
My youngest son moved to Missoula to finish college at the U of Montana. He joined the Montana guard and eventually entered ROTC. He graduated and commissioned as a second lieutenant a couple years back and is currently deployed in the U.A.E. Makes his old man proud. Thanks to all of you veterans that have served!

15-Apr-18
Jeffrey and Jeffrey get your flame throwers gassed up. I was the scrawny 135lb quiet kid, scared of my own shadow. Took everyone including myself by surprise when I enlisted in the Corps and journalism and photography always appealed to me. Did well enough on the asvab and got accepted into the 4600 program so after boot camp at MCRDPI, I was headed to boulder, co for the first of 3 schools. The USMC was a life changing event. I went from 135 to a solid 170 w the confidence to take on anything. After 4 years I continued working w the DOD while working on my degrees. I still maintain contacts w friends I was stationed with. I’m also active in my local VFW and the MCL. It’s not for everyone but for me, it was everything. I salute all who served.

15-Apr-18
IMO....all military service is honorable....unless you dishonor yourself and country. I was on delayed entry too. Finally went to CG boot camp on 3/9/81 and officially put out to pasture on 4/1/2011. I was on a cutter for a couple of years sailing the Gulf and ocean then got into aviation. I was an Aviation Machinist Mate (AD) and then was re-titled an Aviation Maintenance Tech (AMT) and a helo Flight Mech with a little time in jets at the beginning. Went out as an E-9. It was a great life, a few sour moments but still great....no complaints! I would encourage any young person to serve the country if they do not know what they want in life in high school. I wished I'd went in when I graduated HS but waited a few years before signing up. I could have retired at 47.

15-Apr-18
Joined the Army soon after H.S. in 1980, as a Medic, and finished out my 3 Year term in Berlin, Germany (before the wall came down). I'm currently working as a Nuclear Medicine Tech, so enlisting certainly helped me with career direction.

My Daughter is a Marine Corps Sergeant in Okinawa. She definitely has what it takes, she's accomplished a lot in the last 4 Years, one of the first 50 Women to attempt Infantry training, and received training in both the Marine Corps Band, and Finance School, where she was Honor Grad for her class.

She's planning to switch from Active Duty, to active Reserves in Counter Intelligence, while she finishes her Bachelor's Degree in Econometrics.

She also plays soccer against Marine Men as a Goalie, and is refreshingly conservative, for a 23 Year old (that's my girl)!

Here she is, on deployment in the Phillipines:

15-Apr-18
atheist (your fav IMposter). You could've walked around the world three times without stopping, you are still a LYING WUSS. I could care less what you think of yourself, it still doesn't take away the fact that you are a LYING FRAUD. I KNOW what you are. Nice try moron. 8^)))

16-Apr-18
Signed up in Feb of 83 on the DEP for the USN. I was actually 23 at the time. Economy where I lived was in a major down turn and both my fresh new bride and I were layed off. Left for San Dog in Sept. of 83 for boot (hell no to Great Mistakes) and Basic Electricity and Electronics after that. THEN got sent to Great Mistakes for my Fire Control A school which happened around January. That sucked. Headed back to San Diego to specialize in my selected school as a Fire Control Tech-Missiles Mk 92 Mod 2 FCS (later changed to Fire Controlman) for my first NEC then back about a 6 months later in the fleet to get the Naval Education Code for Harpoon Weapons Systems. 6 years total.

Thought about reenlisting because I was a pretty good at the game and had some good enlistment opportunities, but got out instead. I must say that the experience defined my present career and look back on my time in fondly and cherish the brotherhood and the friends I have made in there. Still pretty tight with 3 of them and we get together from time to time to tell sea stories and make our wives shake their heads.

16-Apr-18
July of 1985 I enlisted into the Marine Corps delayed entry program. 12 months later after I graduated HS I shipped off for recruit training at MCRD Parris Island, S.C. I always planned on joining the military, but never the Marine Corps. I chose the Corps because I needed a challenge and wanted to get away from small town Ohio. I had no plans what so ever of making a career out of it.

My first enlistment was for 6 years with a guaranteed MOS (F/A-18 aviation ordnance technician), duty station choice (West coast), a $3500 enlistment bonus, and Corporal (E4) in 13 months. The standard enlistment was for four years, but I figured what would two more years hurt and the deal seemed pretty darn good.

I like to refer to my first enlistment as "the glory years". Life was AWESOME! I had an exciting job, was stationed in Southern California, got to work on jet fighters, load bombs and missiles, and traveled all over the world all with some of the greatest people I have ever known. Life was so good that I literally forgot about my EAS and re-enlisted for another four with 30 days to spare. At the end of my second enlistment I was at the 10 year mark and decided that if I'm going to stay in then I better make the most of it.

At 13 years I applied for and was accepted into the Warrant Officer program where I stayed in my career field as an Aviation Ordnance Officer. Five years later, with 18 years, I was a CWO-3 I applied for the Limited Duty Officer program and was promoted to captain.

In 2014 I retired as a major with 28 years. I was actually in the promotion zone for Lieutenant Colonel, but I knew it was time to retire and move on to something else. Now I work for the Navy dealing with supply support for Amphibious Class ships.

Joining the Marine Corps definitely changed me for the better. I'm not even close to the kid I was when I left Ohio. The things I have done, places I have seen, people I have known, experiences I have had are just crazy and some are almost impossible to believe. A career in the military is tough on your family, physically, mentally, but in the end it was well worth it. Would I do it again, yes! Would I change things, probably but not many.

Semper Fidelis

• Sitka Gear