venison 18-May-18
Owl 18-May-18
sureshot 18-May-18
Owl 18-May-18
WV Mountaineer 18-May-18
WV Mountaineer 18-May-18
JL 18-May-18
14-May-18
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 weeks ago. 6 of 12 biopsy samples cancerous, all on one side. Gleason score 3 + 4. I'm 58 and a fitness fanatic. I've decided to have the seeds inserted followed by radiation treatments instead of surgery. Anyone have experiences with this? Thanks and God bless! John

14-May-18
I had Prostrate Cancer when I was 53. Of 13 tissue samples 10 were good 2 were bad 1 inconclusive. I decided to have mine removed instead of radiation treatments. Was informed radiation elevates risk of bladder cancer. Just had my 6 yr checkup my PSA checked <0.01. Good luck to you.

14-May-18
Best of luck, Jasper. Hoping for a good and speedy return to full speed.

15-May-18
I too was diagnosed with prostate cancer almost two years ago, I'm almost 57. I had the seeds implanted and my PSA level went from 3.6 to 0.7. Just a few minor inconveniences and a blood test every 3 months.

15-May-18
Good luck with it. My dad is going through this right now... hard "decisions". Keep strong!

15-May-18
In 2008, at 56 I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. I opted to have it removed. They did it arthorscopicly (sp). Everything intact, and cancer gone. My PSA since then have been .ooo1. Very slow moving cancer, and very survivable. As with most, early detection is key. Good luck.

15-May-18
Good luck ...

15-May-18
I had 67 seeds implanted. I felt this was the best choice for me. I didn't want to do external radiation (5 days a week for 5-8 weeks) or the radical prostatectomy, the possible after effects scared me on that.

15-May-18
There is also the option of freezing the growth as well.

15-May-18
There is also the Cyberknife, its send a very high dose of external radiation to the prostate so you only need to do 5 treatments.

16-May-18
Thanks guys for all the advice and encouragement! I've read several books and done lots of research on this. I had a second opinion this morning and feel good about my brachytherapy decision. Doc said I could even schedule my surgery for late July so I don't have to change vacation plans. Looks like I'll have a normal summer and be done with my 8 weeks of radiation by October so that means good to go for deer season! In spite of my predicament I feel very blessed! God bless y'all! John

16-May-18
Jasper, Prayers from WA

17-May-18
Jasper, or others please chyme in, did you have prostrate symptoms and if so what were they or did you go in for a routine physical and caught it that way?

17-May-18
Mine was caught due to my family doctor's concern with my Father also having prostate cancer. I had no symptoms what soever.

17-May-18
No symptoms, discovered when my PSA was high during my annual physical. Referred to a urologist who drew blood for a Prostate Health Index (PHI) test that came back indicating I had a 50% chance of cancer. He then did a biopsy that confirmed it

17-May-18
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers!

17-May-18
PC is like most other kinds of cancers. It can be generalized in talk but, there often are very specific types of it. Each one will have a best course. Each one will have its own attributes that outline the best approach.

I do agree with Spike in that diet is very important in this. Cancer has to have fuel. Cancer loves sugar. A good diet not only will help your risks factors, it can substantially inhibit growth rates.

It is a complex thing that deserves a multifaceted plan and course of actions for prevention, for cure, and to minimize future reoccurrence.

17-May-18
KC, I'll give the ole cancer survivor trick a shot, maybe I'll get a little lucky until they catch on ??

17-May-18
KPC, according to the oncologists that treated me, cancer loves sugar because it metabolizes it 30% faster then a normal human cell. So, his first advice to me was eat a low sugar diet. Which I had been doing my whole life.

Ever had a PET scan? What glows on the scan is cells processing sugar. The lead up liquid you drink one hour before the test is composed of a lot of sugar. Since, I have seen those glowing dots on a screen, had my doctor tell me that what it was, and inform me the reason they used a sugar based drink was to stimulate active cancer cells, I'll concede his advice over the internet's. Not being a wise cracker either

God bless men

18-May-18
Some kinds of prostate cancer are very aggressive ! My dad had his yearly check up and 3 months later had back pains , went back to doctor and found he now had prostate cancer and died a year and a half later .

18-May-18
"Fact: Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth."

-Respectfully, this is only half true. Cells can also run off ketone bodies. No cell "depends" on glucose for energy, well, perhaps, cancer cells. In fact there is quite a bit of research that concludes the body runs better off ketones - particularly the brain, without all the detrimental side effects of insulin disregulation.

To me, the primary concern is not whether cancer cells grow on glucose (proven) but if they can exist at all on ketones. I've seen contradictory research but, given we KNOW a high carb diet is bad, if I had a diagnosis of cancer and was eating the SAD, the first thing I would do is jettison that lifestyle for a ketogenic diet. The actual myth is that we require glucose for cellular energy. The truth is there is ZERO daily requirement for carbohydrates.

18-May-18

sureshot's Link
Talking about diet and cancer, there is a lot of interesting information out there. The biggest problem acknowledging that diet is able to address some of the cancers is that there is no money to be made from it. It is a rather simple concept, build your immunity to fight it rather than attacking your immunity.

After losing 3 of our 4 parents to cancer in 3 years my wife and I decided that there had to be a better way to a healthier lifestyle. Sugars, much like fats are needed by the body. However, there is a huge difference in how your body handles refined sugars compared to natural non-refined Sugars. Good luck

18-May-18
Agreed on the monetary disincentive, sureshot. But, if we are talking about exogenous sugars (of any type) there no daily requirement for it. And that makes sense if you consider the food sources available when we were developing our DNA. Highly fibrous vegetation and tubers -both seasonal. What we had and what we ate the vast majority of the times were animals and insects. Fruits were only available during seasons of increased adiposity. That is, late summer and fall were the times our ancestors had to put on fat to make it through winter. Think about that, we are genetically designed to put on fat in the presence of glucose... Now, given obesity is a marker for so many illnesses, I believe that knocks sugar out of the typical daily protocols.

Humans have been developing for over 2 million years, agriculture has been around for 10-12,000 years. What do you think we are best suited to eat? A fat and fiber diet (including proteins) or grain based, massively glucose biased diet? We are eating ourselves into innumerable diseases. JMHO.

18-May-18
Kevin, call the Masonic Medical Center in Chicago Illinois, ask for Doctor Mebea Aklilu and, play your dumb game's with him. I'm sure your internet stuff will out weigh his advice and information.

18-May-18
Kevin, you are allowed to do anything you want. Just Like I am allowed to say what I see. This is the normal course of action for you. So, I'm telling you to take it up with the man that told me that because I was simply passing on the info.

18-May-18
A tablespoon or two daily of unprocessed cider vinegar is supposed be good for your body WRT cancer. I have heard and read several times by nutritionists the best diet over the long haul is one that includes all the food groups and colors in moderation. By colors that would be red, green, yellow fruits and veggies.

Since I finished chemo and radiation 5 years ago, I take daily 1 potassium pill, 1 magnesium pill, (both of those for muscle cramps) 1 baby aspirin (to keep the blood viscosity low to aid in preventing clots) and 1 Centron geezer vitamin to make up for what my diet misses and aloepurenol for gout as needed. Everyone's cancer case is different and everyone will come out of it differently. It took a while for the body to stabilize after treatment but those pills seem to have me dialed in for now.

• Sitka Gear