nowheels 17-May-18
nowheels 17-May-18
kentuckbowhnter 17-May-18
Coyote 65 17-May-18
Glunt@work 17-May-18
IdyllwildArcher 18-May-18
17-May-18

Tiger-Eye's Link
The AGW myth perpetuates. So by genetically engineering elephants with mammoth genes and transplanting the cold tolerant beasts to the steppe region we are going to solve global warming. What could possibly go wrong???

So much idiocy here on so many levels I hesitated to even acknowledge it with a response. In this article, trees contribute to global warming. But, I have also heard the deforestation was the cause. As any hunter worth his salt knows, snow will last longer in the woods where it is cooler than in the fields. Well as usual the AGW crowd gets it both ways.

Secondly they argue that the snow insulates the ground from the -40F winds. The winds have nothing to do with it. The permafrost is a cool 32. Doesn't get any colder. Ice is ice and 32 F is the number regardless the temperature or the wind.

Then there is this gem:

"When mammoths roamed in a northern area known as the "mammoth steppe," that ecosystem was rich in grasses. But after the woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) went extinct and other grazers left the area, grasses gave way to shrubs and a tundra ecosystem, an environment that the Harvard Woolly Mammoth Revival team says is "contributing to human-driven climate change."

Sounds more like mammoth driven climate change.

Other questions. Why did the mammoths die off? Was the earth naturally warming (not much man made AGW 4000 years age). Or perhaps, using the author's theory got it backwards on the relationship of mammoths with trees and shrubs. Could the mammoths have caused their own downfall by toppling enough trees so that climate changed? Or was it Mammoth Farts

17-May-18
Mammoth farts were the cause. I read in a Darwin report where a fat man that had been eating cabbage and beans died in his bed. It was a small room with no ventilation and he farted so much the methane gas filled the room and he died. Three EMT's got sick when they entered his bed room.

17-May-18
"Or was it Mammoth Farts"

They blasted theirselves into extinction!

17-May-18
Of course you all know what a womb is. It's mammoth fart.

17-May-18
Bring 'em back! I'm going to start buying points this year so I can draw!

17-May-18

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo

17-May-18
From what I read, they're talking about blending Mammoth and modern day elephant DNA in hopes that the combination might yield an elephant/Mammoth cross that is more able to handle colder temps.

17-May-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Good Book

Overview Woolly: The True Story of the Quest to Revive One of History's Most Iconic Extinct Creatures by Ben Mezrich

Science fiction becomes reality in this Jurassic Park-like story of the genetic resurrection of an extinct species—the woolly mammoth—by the bestselling author of The Accidental Billionaires and The 37th Parallel.

“With his knack for turning narrative nonfiction into stories worthy of the best thriller fiction” (Omnivoracious), Ben Mezrich takes us on an exhilarating true adventure story from the icy terrain of Siberia to the cutting-edge genetic labs of Harvard University. A group of young scientists, under the guidance of Dr. George Church, the most brilliant geneticist of our time, works to make fantasy reality by sequencing the DNA of a frozen woolly mammoth harvested from above the Arctic circle, and splicing elements of that sequence into the DNA of a modern elephant. Will they be able to turn the hybrid cells into a functional embryo and bring the extinct creatures to life in our modern world?

Along with Church and his team of Harvard scientists, a world-famous conservationist and a genius Russian scientist plan to turn a tract of the Siberian tundra into Pleistocene Park, populating the permafrost with ancient herbivores as a hedge against an environmental ticking time bomb. More than a story of genetics, this is a thriller illuminating the race against global warming, the incredible power of modern technology, the brave fossil hunters who battle polar bears and extreme weather conditions, and the ethical quandary of cloning extinct animals. Can we right the wrongs of our ancestors who hunted the woolly mammoth to extinction—and at what cost?

17-May-18
"Can we right the wrongs of our ancestors who hunted the woolly mammoth to extinction—" ROTFLMAO! What a buncha maroons......

17-May-18
This is almost as stupid as a groundhog stopping traffic.

17-May-18
No comment on the global warming. But goddamn it'd be cool to see some mammoth like elephants in the future. Give polar bears a reason to hunt in packs. Ahaha

17-May-18
This kind of thing seems so massively off it's hard to grasp. I get the intellectual curiosity. "Hey honey, I literally made a mammoth at work today" That would be really cool... on paper.

But in real life? Seems like asking for a LOT to go wrong.

And I'm a AGW believer - see that, we are not totally crazy, just partly... :)

17-May-18
I wonder where the anti-GMO crowd stands on this? :-)

17-May-18
I wonder where the anti-GMO crowd stands on this? :-)

17-May-18
bring back the mammoths i will apply for the tag, i bet they are delicious.

17-May-18
Your going to need a bigger bow.

Terry

17-May-18
Cool. Lets invent endangered species so we have some more critters to sue each other over.

18-May-18
Ice can get colder than 32F.

• Sitka Gear