Zim1 06-Jul-18
Jim in Ohio 06-Jul-18
zeke 06-Jul-18
DConcrete 06-Jul-18
DConcrete 06-Jul-18
HA/KS 06-Jul-18
Jim in Ohio 07-Jul-18
04-Jul-18
If someone is here on a H-2B Visa...... are they an illegal ??

04-Jul-18
Yeah they bent a few laws but you just bent a definition.

04-Jul-18
I agree that it is essential that we always distinguish between those who are in the country legally and the illegal invaders.

04-Jul-18
When I hire I try to get the person who is most likely to do the job I need done the way I want it done.

The permit system for foreign workers was designed to allow people we need in to work jobs that are not being filled by Americans.

Any employer who breaks the rules should be prosecuted as much as possible.

04-Jul-18

Your fav poster's Link
Trump has regularly hired illegals to work st his properties. Shouldn’t he also be prosecuted?

04-Jul-18
"Does anyone care to comment on the practice of discriminating against fellow Americans or are you here just to critisize a fellow American?"

- I'll answer that and I'm going to tick off a lot of people but for construction and landscaping work, hiring a Hispanic fellow is about 100% for getting what you paid for. That's matching pay with native born Americans. Hiring an American is about 25-30%. Sad state of affairs in America and nothing will improve it until we reform(remove) welfare from the able bodied.

04-Jul-18
I agree with you Randy.

05-Jul-18
Pass laws that people who get federal/ state aid in any form must work at least 20 hours a week in order to get the freebies ( money,, Food, Health cARE ,ECT.)

05-Jul-18
My future daughter-in-law teaches in a rural really disadvantaged school. Those kids have less hope than the poor suckers on the other side of the fence in Mexico. they will never become anything! One example I heard about Monday night.......five generations living in a mobile home.....the 8 year old kid puts on his clothes and comes to school all by himself everyday.....no body makes him, no body cares or even knows if he goes. If they don't give him food to take home he won't eat anything all weekend. Last week a dog had puppies during the night on top of his clothes....he didn't know what else to do but put them on.....and come to school. I been giving her baskets of clothes, food, you name it to give to those poor kids. There are some parts of this country that are pretty f'ed up. There is no job for the 5 generations of people living in the mobile home to do........it's in the middle of nowhere North Carolina. I have no doubt that they wouldn't or couldn't get jobs even if there were some.

05-Jul-18
I do think the preferential hiring against Americans is a problem and I hope the company gets appropriately prosecuted.

05-Jul-18
It was settled. Sounds like they didn’t have much to “appropriately prosecute”.

05-Jul-18
Sounds to me like it was in both parties benefit to settle the complaint rather than to move forward. I bet Tripple H jumped at the chance to accept $100k in fines, penalties, and additional hiring screening to not go to trial and try to prove that somehow out of 1,000's of employees a highly disproportionate amount happens to be H2-B visa holders (or illegal) and there weren't any citizens to perform these jobs.

I've been on both sides of this issue as both an employee and an employer and this necessary H2-B visa and use of illegal workforce has altered the pay structure of these jobs that they aren't what they used to be. An example in my case I was a carpenter/timber framer in the early 90's through 2003 and made about $17/hr which wasn't terrible money considering a decent truck was $20k and $700/month rent in a decent area was reasonable and I was in my 20's. The last 4-5 years I wasn't even full time because I was paying my way through college and at this wage, I could support myself and get done with a civil engineering degree and zero debt. Fast forward to today and that wage is probably the same or less than it was 20 years ago due to our "necessary" cheaper wage earners that had to enter the marketplace because nobody else would do it. I think a big reason the migrant workers or illegals are the only ones who will do these jobs is that they've altered the pay structure and the jobs aren't what they used to be. When I graduated college in 2003 my starting salary as a civil engineer was a little over $40k/year which was barely more than I was making as a seasoned carpenter, that salary is now probably closer to $65k/year and the carpenter wage is probably the same or less due to migrant workers.

06-Jul-18
The wages are less now Ben? You honest to God think that wages could possibly be less now?

Name me one field right now in construction that has gone down in labor rates. Name me one. Hell, even in the downturn the wages weren’t hit too hard in construction. And what little they lost, they began to bounce back up at an accelerated rate in 2012.

The carpenter wage is a hell of a lot higher than you think.

There is a massive labor shortage going on currently. And it’s been that way for sometime. Wages in all fields of any type of labor will continue to outpace your career as a civil engineer. Why? Because so few people are truly willing to do the work. Yet the educated fields have become flooded with applicants. The demand for me will continue to dramatically increase. And with that, comes major pay increases. Not a snow balls chance in hell is your post even remotely close to true.

06-Jul-18
"Does anyone care to comment on the practice of discriminating against fellow Americans or are you here just to criticize a fellow American?"

In construction you will hardly ever see a Hispanic contractor hiring anyone other than a Hispanic. You'll never see the hiring a Black.

06-Jul-18
"There is a massive labor shortage going on currently. And it’s been that way for sometime."

-In VA, it has never been worse. I maintain a Class A CDL and I bet I could show up naked to a job interview and still get hired because the boss would only see I wasn't carrying a cell phone on me. I won't speak for the rest of the country but, in VA, if a person can't get a job today, they are fairly worthless as an adult. Our problem is that we have so many capable but, otherwise, completely worthless people.

06-Jul-18
What irritates me so much about the US is the bipartisan desire by the politicians to show no preference to high quality candidates for immigration, such as Canada does. As a result, we end up with the riff raff while Canada upgrades it's citizen base yearly. Very frustrating as a 58 year old tax paying American who has never been unemployed and never collected any entitlement. My wife is Chinese. Just retired from her English teaching career in Sichuan. Her daughter is an educated, hard working English teacher. #2 student of 450 at her high school. Masters degree from Leicester Univ, UK. Finishing her US masters degree at Eastern Michigan in 2019. There is an extreme high demand for Mandarin teachers in the US. All this............yet she gets no preference over a non-English speaking peasant with zero job skills. Unbelievable. Canada is mopping up the best immigrants with their points system. And that's where she has a 50% chance of ending up, unless she can win a stupid lottery. She got a job offer from CPS at her first job fair, a full year before she even graduates! But even an H-1B work sponsor only makes her eligible for the lottery. That's all. She speaks exponentially better English than half the degenerates I have to work with during my job travels. Hell I can't even understand what some of them are saying. Half the receipts I pick up off the floor at Meijers were paid for via EBT cards! I only learned of how pathetic our immigration policy was after going through all the hoops first hand while providing guidance. Really pisses me off.

Trump brought this major problem to attention last year yet nothing has come from it yet. Worse yet one unskilled immigrant wins the lottery and chains an unlimited amount of minor kids and parents with them!!! While my wife's sole daughter loses out just because of her age. Our US policy is out dated 100 years. It was fine when my grandparents immigrated here in 1917, but no longer. This is just plain crazy.

06-Jul-18
When I was working, one of the so called American companies would bring in dozens of highly skilled foreign workers. They would have to prove to the Labor Dept. that there were jobs they couldn't fill. So they would advertise in the unemployment offices. Since we were all self employed, we didn't check. But none of these jobs was actually available. They were lying. They were able to bring in the foreign workers and then go to all our accounts to try to steal them.

It took me a year of work and a trip to Washington D.C. to prove to the Labor Department that they were lying, these jobs were not available and they were trying to take our accounts by cutting the price etc. I got it stopped but a year later they had illegals working for them. There was no enforcement of the illegal laws. I just gave up.

06-Jul-18
If illegal immigrants are only doing jobs Americans won't. Who did them before we had 20 million illegal immigrants? Who used to pick tomatoes, landscape, etc.?

06-Jul-18
Come on zeke. Your post implies that you’ll still be able to get Americans to do those jobs. Out here in planet reality, Americans haven’t had to suffer enough to realize employment is a good thing.

Americans don’t have to do those jobs anymore. It’s too easy to not work.

Reality: Americans are dwindling in the work force by their choice. Things have changed dramatically in 30 years.

06-Jul-18
This isn’t about being for illegal immigration. But Americans have an ugly truth to face.

Americans, parents, teachers, professors have done a wonderful job convincing the youth that they don’t want to be a ditch digger. And ditch digging comes in many forms from farming, to construction, to basically anything that involves manual labor.

Kids, and adults alike are extraordinarily lazy. The stats on teenagers that work summer jobs is pathetically low. For the last 20-30 years, kids weren’t forced to work. Yard work. Actually jobs. It’s been a downhill slide. It’s been getting worse and worse. Americans own the fact that these jobs unfortunately depend on a labor force such as illegals.

And if you don’t believe these are facts, then get out of your cubicle. Go start any type of manual labor company. Landscaping, any field of construction. Go see for yourself how far down the drain Americans have allowed themselves to go.

Finding good, High quality Americans that’ll climb the ladder of life, is dwindling.

06-Jul-18
"Americans haven’t had to suffer enough to realize employment is a good thing."

Exactly!

07-Jul-18
Similar to what I did JTV. Started doing chores when I was in the 4th grade on our farm. Had work every day clear through High School. Even came back after I left to help out. We need to get rid of welfare, make people work to survive like in the 30's. And reinstate the draft so they learn how to work.

• Sitka Gear