Amoebus 09-Jul-18
Tonybear61 09-Jul-18
Tonybear61 09-Jul-18
Hackbow 09-Jul-18
HA/KS 09-Jul-18
09-Jul-18

HA/KS's Link
108 and still living in her own home.

"She developed a special bond with a second-grader named Catherine who was in the first class she taught. Catherine, now 98 and living in California, continues to correspond with Margaret."

Can there be an older American who still has a living teacher?

09-Jul-18
Amazing, and touching!

09-Jul-18
I think that might be a typo. If she's 108 and her student is 98 that means she was a teacher at age 10? But typo or no, it's an amazing story!

09-Jul-18
2nd graders are about 7 or 8 years old? It might work if she started teaching at 17 or 18.

09-Jul-18
Yes amazing,a few are still out there at reunions and stuff like that.

My anthropology teacher in High School taught my father in the 40s, my siblings and I up to the early 80s. She was easily 80-85 when still teaching..

09-Jul-18
Yes amazing,a few are still out there at reunions and stuff like that.

My anthropology teacher in High School taught my father in the 40s, my siblings and I up to the early 80s. She was easily 80-85 when still teaching..

09-Jul-18
Article says she was qualified to teach in a rural school after she studied in HS. She was probably 16-18 and teaching children "of all ages" and "across all grades". The 10 yr age difference makes sense if one reads the story.

Thanks for sharing this Henry.

09-Jul-18
108 and still living in her own home.

Yes, she taught right out of high school, so probably had some students who were not that younger than she was.

BTW, someone teaching high school today could be only 4 years (possibly less) older than some of their students.

• Sitka Gear