HA/KS 12-Jul-18
Shuteye 12-Jul-18
Salagi 13-Jul-18
Mike the Carpenter 13-Jul-18
HA/KS 13-Jul-18
tonyo6302 13-Jul-18
12-Jul-18

HA/KS's Link
I had never heard of the Rule of Four until today. I happened to hear Hugh Hewitt on the radio this morning and we probably owe Roberts much more than we realized. (I am still upset about obamacare, though).

Hugh argues that it is because of the Rule of Four that leftists in the know (is there such a thing?) are so upset about the Brett Kavanaugh nomination.

"The rule of four holds that for the court to grant certiorari to hear and decide a case, four of its members must vote to do so. This is a crucial hurdle for the 7,000 to 8,000 or so petitions for certiorari — requests to be heard — filed with the high court each year. Of those thousands, about 50 will be accepted and decided quickly and another 60 to 80 will move to oral arguments. The rest, unable to obtain four votes, are simply turned away.

We don’t know how often Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. has withheld a vote to “grant cert” in the 13 years he has held the job, leaving his three generally more conservative colleagues without the necessary fourth vote, because the chief justice worried about either his own or Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s vote going the wrong way when it came to the merits. How often did discretion rule when the chief’s vote was cast not to hear a case?"

It is possible that by refusing to hear certain cases, he has left open the possibility for future more constitutionally conservative justices to take them up without having to deal with a former more liberal activist ruling.

The article is a good read.

12-Jul-18
Dang, I learned something today.

13-Jul-18
Me too Lex. Thanks for posting this Henry, very interesting.

13-Jul-18
I learned something new as well. Thank you for the link. Now we are beginning to understand the uproar from the left. MAGA

13-Jul-18
It has a lot of good information. I hope the analysis of Roberts is accurate.

13-Jul-18
He was the deciding vote on Obummercare.

.. .. ..

.. .. ..

He has not asked for forgiveness, therefore I do not have to forgive him. To hell with Roberts!

• Sitka Gear