JL 15-Jul-18
PECO 15-Jul-18
JL 16-Jul-18
gflight 16-Jul-18
bb 16-Jul-18
WV Mountaineer 18-Jul-18
Shuteye 18-Jul-18
14-Jul-18
When in doubt, rely on the infinate wisdom of Bowsiters. Looking to buy a chainsaw. I have 3 homestead area with lots of trees. Currently I have 4 large trees that are down and another half dozen dead elms and box elders that I need to fell. Trees that I will be cutting are up to 2.5 in diameter. I will be cutting up and stacking for fire wood. I figure to keep up with my trees I will be using it on a monthly basis.

I need something dependable and under the $400 dollar amount. All recommendations appreciated. And best place to buy. Thanks!

14-Jul-18
Sounds to me that you need a Stihl farm boss. The problem is that $400 might get you a second hand unit if your lucky enough to locate one. When it comes to spending money on a good saw it does not pay to go cheap. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on a quality saw. If you take care of a good saw it could last a lifetime and reduce your workload effort and time by a big margin.

14-Jul-18
Buy a the saw you can from a local dealer who is a service center, all of the top saws run great, use synthetic 2 stroke oil, less carbon build up problems.

I have acreage and cut/drop quit a bit, the Echo 501 is a 50cc saw that weighs 10lbs, I use an 18" bar that is the largest I want in my stove and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

14-Jul-18
Stihl

14-Jul-18
""11-Time Deportee with Stolen Vehicle Attempts to Kill Wife With Chainsaw""

I would not want to be associated with a Stihl user.....:)

14-Jul-18
Stihl

14-Jul-18
Another vote for Stihl. I recently felled and cut up a 100' tall Ponderosa pine with a 4' trunk with my 25-year old 18" Stihl. One of the best tools I've ever purchased.

Matt

14-Jul-18
I got a Stihl MS-310 w/25" blade and Poulan 16"-er. Both are good workers and I used the Stihl alot on big trees over the years. In my humble opinion.....as long as you take care of the saw and bar/chain....most saws will do you right. I always clean mine, mix the gas and oil correctly AND only use rec gas (ie...ethanol free) in them. Also....don't let the chain oil run out while cutting.....bad ju-ju right there. I'll put a safety plug in for wearing eye and ear protection.....long pants or bibs too.

14-Jul-18
just go and get a Stihl, pretty sure you get the drift from all the posts above.

Oh, by the way - my choice would be Stihl. In fact, it was...

14-Jul-18
Stihl. I have thrown mine more times than I can count and never broke. It has a 14” bar but have used it to cut 36” oaks. The reason it has been thrown is my property has some steep areas that I have to work on. If I have it running and slip or trip I launch that thing far away from me.

14-Jul-18
Stihl

14-Jul-18
Still... not sure they make the farm boss anymore. If your gonna do much cutting spend the extra money and upgrade to a professional grade a step above. You won't regret it. I've got a farm boss and a 036 I always reach for the 036 when it's time to cut. Just my opinion

15-Jul-18
Why does a 2 stroke need an oil ring?

15-Jul-18
Husqvarna Rancher 455

15-Jul-18
Compression?

16-Jul-18
I like Stihl but would recommend you get one of the pro models not the farm boss. I always go for the highest power to weight ratio and I like to run a 20" bar with a light weight, high power, high RPM unit. They have changes all the numbering around recently but my MS260 pro has been a real good unit. It didn't cost much more than the farm boss but at the end of the day it's a lot lighter and will chew through wood about 1/3 faster.

16-Jul-18
Depending on the application....two strokes do not need an oil ring. The two rings are primarily for compression, not oil restriction and cylinder coating. The crankcase on 2 strokes is similar to a dry sump system.....that is it doesn't hold an internal oil supply. If it did it would be known as a wet sump system....like many 4 strokes have. Lubrication on 2 strokes normally comes from the air/fuel/oil mixture in the crank case prior to it going to compression in the cylinder.

16-Jul-18
Stihl Farm boss and no complaints. Used to have a Walmart poulan, pain in my butt....

16-Jul-18
I have both Stihl and husquvarna. The Husky is a big saw, with a 28" bar... 372XP it's been a great saw.

18-Jul-18
A husky 372 XP will cut circles around a 461 Stihl. A Husky 365 XP will cut circles around a Stihl professional grade 362. A Husky 395 XP will cut circles around a Stihl 661. Starting to get the point? Everyone says Stihl. I have owned and run a bunch of both. I still own and run both. I would buy the one with the service in your area. But, make no mistake, a husky is going to be 25% cheaper, run just as long, and cut harder then any Stihl will. Plus, If you have the knowledge to make them "breeaave" a little better, be a bit more efficient in fuel consumption, and to run to their potential versus the EPA's ideas of proper emissions, you'd end up using the Stihl's for paper weights after running a good Husky. That is no joke either.

18-Jul-18

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Yesterday a logger was finishing up cutting some trees in my woods. I use a Husky but the logger loves his Stihl. He said he pays $755 for the saws and run them until they quit. He says the only maintenance he does is sharpen blades and replace blades. He says Stihl is the only saw that runs forever without a bunch of maintenance. He had a Stihl gas/oil can that I really liked. It has a gasoline compartment and an oil compartment and has sharpener tools on the side. Too expensive for me at over $200 but it was nice. His helmet had attached hearing protection that you could flip up and eye protection that also flips up.

• Sitka Gear