Community
Contributors to this thread:
Coyote 65 16-Jul-18
Treeline 16-Jul-18
DL 17-Jul-18
MT in MO 17-Jul-18
70lbdraw 17-Jul-18
16-Jul-18
I had to do a history of the family dump because I am having some genetic testing done in regards to cancer susceptibility. Found out some really interesting facts.

I knew my dad was in WW-2. But found out that my paternal grandfather was in WW-1, and that he was training troops as they came into France on supply trains. (Think muleskinner training). Knowing him, I bet there are some relatives running around France that nobody knows about. My Great Grandfather was not in the Military, but his father was in the Civil War. The whole 1st Minnesota Volunteers were captured early on the war and then traded for Confederate Hostages went back to MN and then fought Indians until later in the war and then went back into battle with the Rebs.

Dad was a SSgt, I made it Sgt. my Grandfather was a Pfc. and Great Great granddad was discharged as a Pvt.

My mothers side came from Luxembourg in the early 1800's and look to have avoided service in the wars until WW-2 and one uncle was a seabee and another was a Marine that made a bunch of the island invasions. His son, my cousin went into the Marines in Viet Nam and came back with 2 Silver Stars and 2 Bronze stars and a Purple Heart.

My son is a history buff, so I am going to pass this info on to him and let him discover his roots.

One last thing, did not discover any horse thieves or snake oil salesman. Kinda disappointed there.

Terry

16-Jul-18
Thank you and your ancestors for their service!

17-Jul-18
It's interesting stuff! Genealogy is great stuff. I recently found that I had a great, great, grandfather who was in the Union Army during Civil War was captured and escaped from Andersonville. He started the war as a Corporal and finished as a Captain. I also have two grandfathers who were on opposite sides during WWI.......all the while my great grandfather was serving as an army surgeon. I hate to think about the meatball surgery he had to perform......

17-Jul-18
Thanks to the internet finding history has become easier. I did one of the DNA tests and traced down some relatives and found Joshua W York. Served in the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment during the revolutionary war. Interesting that my G G Grandfathers name was also Joshua. In an old family bible from my moms family dated in the 1830s names get repeated. One was a free corker. The woman’s name was Freelove Martin. She married John K. Marvel. Sounds like a 60s name. Freelove Marvel! Several generations latter I had a great aunt Love. Her name was also Freelove Finfrock.

17-Jul-18
My younger sister is the family historian. She tracked my fathers family back to the 1600's in Germany where our great,great,great etc grandfather was a games keeper or forester for some big wig German Baron. The family had members fighting on both sides during WWI. My granddad's older brother fought for the Kaiser while a cousin fought for the USA. My granddad was not yet a USA citizen when the war broke out and was almost lynched when he went to Chicago to enlist...8^)

On my Mom's side she tracked the family back to the 1400's in Switzerland. That branch landed here in the late 1600's at Jamestown. They were Calvinists and were running from King Louie the 14th (I think) in France who was chopping peoples heads off if they weren't Catholic. We have relatives on that side that fought in the Revolution and served under Francis Marion the Swamp Fox. That branch also had family on both sides in the Civil War.

I've always liked history and it can be humbling to learn what some of one's ancestors accomplished and overcame....

17-Jul-18
Freelove Finfrock??!!

Say THAT 3 times fast!

• Sitka Gear