Thunderflight 19-Jul-18
gflight 19-Jul-18
Franzen 19-Jul-18
JL 19-Jul-18
Franzen 19-Jul-18
HDE 19-Jul-18
Leatherneckgrandpa 19-Jul-18
18-Jul-18
Been using my military discount at Sutherland's lumber buying bags of cypress mulch.at 2.99 a bag,get 10 bags at a time.discount is 10 percent.its taken off before final ring up,and taxes pretty much cancels the discount.but its still the thought that counts.discount really helps on big ticket items.just glad the military is thought of.

18-Jul-18
Lol

18-Jul-18

BOX CALL's embedded Photo
BOX CALL's embedded Photo
Just checked sales slip,only get five percent veteran discount.thought it was ten percent.

18-Jul-18
If it were up to me it would be 10%!

18-Jul-18
If it'd been senior AND veteran, you'd have gotten 10%.

;-)

18-Jul-18
My question is why are you buying mulch by the bag at Sutherlands? Don't you have a landscaping suppler who sells by the cubic yard somewhere nearby? Would be much cheaper.

BTW, thanks for your service.

Matt

18-Jul-18
BOX CALL, what branch of Military Service were you in ?

18-Jul-18
Air national guard,160 th air refueling, 122 air combat support.just seen my hometown home depot has 10% veteran discount.didn't know they had cypress,mulch.heading there tomorrow.

18-Jul-18
HD only gives discount to service connected disabled vets. Lowes gives discount to ALL vets.

18-Jul-18
I always ask for a military discount. You can get some good deals, especially on the higher end stuff. Gander Outdoor is doing a Good Sam Club membership for $10 for Active Duty folks. The local store/area manager also includes retirees too. With a GSC membership you get 10% off any purchase at GSC, plus the other bennies that come with a GSC membership...camping, gas, etc.. I wanted it just for the Gander Outdoor shopping. They already had decent ammo prices and now it's 10% off that.

Our HD and Lowes does 10% for active duty and retirees. The local Denny's does 20%

18-Jul-18
Hey trying to get yard work done and getting ready for deer season.I'll see what home depot has to offer.even us divorced guys need to have a decent landscape.don't know what kind of doe might stroll thru.

18-Jul-18
You should pretend to accidentally ram the good looking chicks with your shopping cart...it'll help get some conversation going.

18-Jul-18
BOX CALL,

.. .. .. .

All of us Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines that post on the Community Forum are happy that they have extended the Military Discount to the Air Force too.

( he he he )

;^)

18-Jul-18
:-)

18-Jul-18
I check with the Home Depot 10% veteran discount, even showed them my VA ID card, they said it had to be a different VA card that showed service related injuries.

18-Jul-18
Our local Home Depot, and Ace hardware both give 10% to active and retired military. But only on some items. I don't get a discount on stove pellets.

Terry

18-Jul-18
Man I posted a thread about military discounts on leather wall and got closed down quick.just saying.

18-Jul-18
Thank you for your service Dan !!!

18-Jul-18
Lol...I'll gladly take my 10% and say thank you...No one has to give us anything, we (Vets & LEOs) signed the line all by ourselves...

18-Jul-18
I'm going to get roasted and I really don't care.

Why would someone expect a military discount?

18-Jul-18
Both my local Home Depot and Lowes give me my discount after registering my Veterans ID card with their customer service desk. Once in the system, there's no need to keep showing the ID. Easy breezy.

18-Jul-18
Glock is offering their blue label guns (usually to LEOs and first responders) to active and vets until labor day...that is a nice discount. Not all sales outlets handle blue label, but Glock's website can steer one to the closest.

Recently found out that MI will label drivers licenses as veterans, meaning one does not have to carry around separate ID or DD214. Imagine most states are similar.

18-Jul-18

JL's Link
There is a website called Expert Voice (used to be Expert City) that is the collection point for many brand name companies to give deep discounts to military and LE folks. There is a vendor for many types of products....gun stuff, scopes, camping, tactical, outdoors stuff, biking, clothes, pet stuff, electronics, automotive, etc just to name a few. The deal is you have to be affiliated with the military (AD and Ret) or LE and show your credentials to register.

18-Jul-18
"" I'm going to get roasted and I really don't care.

Why would someone expect a military discount? ""

Good question. It's a courtesy businesses extend to a particular demographic....in this case military folks. Not much different than discounts for AAA members, maybe AARP, maybe students, etc. Probably good marketing for that customer demo too.

19-Jul-18
I bought a Treager grill at HD last December. They gave me a 10% discount which came to a little over $80. Thought that was good. Our local HD will give veterans discounts on a lot of things that are not considered "consumable" i.e. bagged items, lumber, sheet rock, etc. Tools and the like are usually good.

19-Jul-18
I've dumped about 50K into fixing up my house. I've done the majority of the work my self and Lowes and Home Depot military discounts have saved me at least 5K.

19-Jul-18
The thing about the military discount is the rest of us who were not in service pay for it. It should really be way more than 10%, but I'll happily pay a hint more so that it can be offered to you and the rest of our servicemen and women. Encourage all businesses to do so.

19-Jul-18
So, to HDE's question, I wasn't in the military but I would hope others would feel like me in encouraging businesses to offer that discount.

19-Jul-18
I fully agree about offering it to those who saw active combat as there are life lasting repercussions.

I have issues with it when some joined up for the minimum just to get the GI Bill benefit...

19-Jul-18
I am a volunteer for a pretty significant veteran's charity where I help run some athletic events that benefit that group. By far and away the companies that help us the most with donations-in-kind and discounts are run by vets. It makes me sick that the rest of the non-serving, never have served public do not have that same attitude. Maybe it's not owed...but it is deserved. The Navy SEAL's I work for will flat out tell you that without the 10 or more armorers, intel, and other support people standing behind each every one of them, they are about as good as "perfume on a pig"........and that's a quote!

19-Jul-18
Why a discount, it beats being spit on and called a baby killer.

Terry

19-Jul-18
^^^ those people will do that to whoever does not share their politics...

19-Jul-18
""The thing about the military discount is the rest of us who were not in service pay for it. It should really be way more than 10%, but I'll happily pay a hint more so that it can be offered to you and the rest of our servicemen and women. Encourage all businesses to do so. ""

I'm not following you. How does what/who a business decides to offer a discount to come out of the pockets of others?

19-Jul-18
Other countries like the UK and Australia don't have the same benefits for their vets. We should be very thankful that we have a country that appreciates and supports the sacrifices made by so many. Thank you all for the support.

19-Jul-18
"Both my local Home Depot and Lowes give me my discount after registering my Veterans ID card with their customer service desk. Once in the system, there's no need to keep showing the ID. Easy breezy."

When I could no longer show my ID and had to register my personal information online I said he77 with Lowes. I use the local place now instead even though it costs me a couple bucks more on some items....

"Recently found out that MI will label drivers licenses as veterans"

On their lists is a good way the liberals can identify "dangerous" prior military types. It only takes a employee to publish your info to the papers. Along with published lists of CCW holders and all the other dangerous folks.....

19-Jul-18
JL, generally the profit margin that is lost has to be made up somewhere. I guess there may be some companies that have a pretty wide profit margin to begin with that would just eat the cost, but seems rather unlikely to me.

19-Jul-18
Franzen.....is it possible any discounts given to military, vets, AARP, AAA, students, etc is made up for and/or exceeded thru the additional volume sales these groups bring in?

19-Jul-18
Yes, it is certainly possible if those groups were not previously shopping for the goods or services at said locations offering discounts, but it depends on what the profit margins of those places are. If margins are wide that theory works, but if they aren't, it doesn't. Bringing in 10% or even 100% more business at a profit margin of 0 is probably a negative return, depending on how encompassing the original profit margin calculation is.

19-Jul-18
It's one thing for a business to do it to show their appreciation, odd though for someone to come through the door and one of the first things they say is "do you offer military discounts"...

Before obama, if it was offered it was kept more low key. After obama it is broadcasted and advertised. I get it he did not support the military and the general population picked up the slack, but now it almost seems overblown.

19-Jul-18
John from Michigan asks "why would someone expect a military discount?"

I have a lot of vet friends and don't know of anybody who "expects" a discount. It sure is nice, tho, to know that some businesses do value our past service and offer a small discount. As for myself, sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't bother. But I do favor those businesses who offer it.

In my area, the local Home Depot used to give a 10% discount to all vets. Then they changed the rules, a discount only to those who had a special endorsement on their VA card (lifer or wounded.) Now, few years later, they are back to the original plan, any vet gets the discount. I ask, has it been this way across the country, at every HD, or does the arrangement vary from store to store?

Lowes will give a 10%, but you have to have an account there. I am in the business - small builder/gen contractor - and am in HD 2, 3, 4 times a week. The lady cashier who waits on me has a son in the Corps. I love that woman!

And Franzen - like your attitude. Thank you from an old Marine.

• Sitka Gear