Bentstick81 22-Jul-18
scentman 22-Jul-18
Bentstick81 22-Jul-18
Amoebus 22-Jul-18
Woods Walker 22-Jul-18
Michael 22-Jul-18
scentman 23-Jul-18
20-Jul-18
FOX reporting Cohen possibly taped the discussion about how to handle "bimbo eruption".

20-Jul-18

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

20-Jul-18
I know it is FOX reporting, but other than the infidelity we all highly suspected, I don't see anything criminal here. Hopefully bk will weigh in, but is this some serious disappointment for the left?

20-Jul-18
More confirmation that Trump isn't the standard for morality.

He is still killing it as POTUS.

This will be like the last 25 Trump scandals.....nobody cares.

20-Jul-18
Bowfreak,

I wonder. I read a great article in the WSJ that was a follow-up to the FOX special, 'Scandolous'.

It basically argued that the climate in D.C. could be traced back to this period. Also, a decline in values, which most conservatives care about.

Will Trump's behavior have a detrimental long term impact that will exceed the benefits of his policy decisions and Scotus choices?

I don't know, but am concerned about it.

20-Jul-18
Does this mean Cohen is cooperating with Mueller? Is there more to come?

20-Jul-18
Just thinking out loud about the campaign finance dollars if that connection should somehow be made....

If there is a tape that has Trump saying 'pay out that bitch', is that a crime? Or is it a crime only for the person that actually makes the payment, ie Cohen? Does Trump isolate himself with verbal direction separated from the physical act?

20-Jul-18
At least he did it before he was President. That's more than most of them. JFK was probably the worst of them all this century. As far as a decline in social values DC has always been filled with people of low moral character. Politicians will do anything for money and sell out anyone.

20-Jul-18
The conversation, and any communications about it, are privileged information. Cohen can't even discuss it under the rules of the profession. There is a crime-fraud exception, which eliminates privilege, and another which gives an exception for when the lawyer is defending himself, but that means defending himself against an ethical charge, not in the court of public opinion. Trump would hold the privilege and only Trump could waive it.

Further, at least under Colorado law, while a surreptitious recording of a conversation may be legal if one party to the conversation consents (typically the recording party), it is an ethical violation for an attorney to do so, or direct another person to do so.

I can't comment on NY rules, but the privilege issues should mirror what I've written here.

In other words, Cohen is an idiot.

20-Jul-18
Didn’t lib Ted Kennedy party with some woman then kill her in a car accident and try and get away with it? Hmm yeah Trump is much worse.

20-Jul-18
Party? Oh come now, everyone knows they were just a devout couple on their way back from midnight mass.

21-Jul-18
This is where we’re at with the mueller investigation. No collusion, so let’s go after him personally. What a joke

21-Jul-18
Ken Start investigated Clintons over Whitewater, ended up he was impeached for lying under oath about a blue dress.

I thought at that time the Special Prosecutor was out of bounds. I think the same now. Have to wonder if this is a little bit of a pay back mentality driving this.

21-Jul-18
Trump is playing the media again. Now they will talk about this and get Russia, Russia, Russia off the news. I read somewhere that Trump allowed this to be released.

21-Jul-18
Was he impeached for something other than lying under oath? Please correct me if I am wrong.

21-Jul-18
That's how I remember it...

21-Jul-18
Trump is screwed. He’s been tweeting like a maniac and he’s got to be feeling the heat. His most trusted lawyer is dishing the dirt and it’s not going to end well.

By the way, Trump's lawyers have waived attorney-client privilege on that secret Michael Cohen recording.

The move effectively gives SDNY prosecutors the ability to use the recording if they find it relevant to their criminal investigation of Cohen. Not Mueller, but NY State.

Trumps crimes are finally seeing sunlight.

21-Jul-18
To call what happened in the Senate a trial is probably a stretch of the truth.

21-Jul-18
Like I said, it all had to do with Monica/women, not what the SP was appointed for.

22-Jul-18
If the special counsel finds any crime. ANY CRIME, should he ignore it? Aren’t you the party of law and order? The special counsel has wide discretion and that didn’t seem to bother anyone when Clinton wavering investigsted so let him do his job. And if trump committed crimes which is likely, he should face the consequences. Otherwise stop calling yourselves the party of law and order. It’s silly.

22-Jul-18
Paul,

Please read again. I did not agree with the approach before and do not now.

Any of us could be guilty of something if they look long enough. Waste of time and taxpayer money.

Did you agree with the Clinton investigations? Please answer so we can judge your consistency.

22-Jul-18
I think giving a special counsel broad range of investigating is bad for the country. I didn’t agree with it when it came to Clinton and i certainly don’t agree with it with Trump.

Do we as US citizens really want our presidents under investigation all the time? We need the president focused on what is best for the country. Not what is going to happen in an investigation.

22-Jul-18
Jeff,

I am hard right fiscally. But, I am of the mindset that both sides play dirty when needed, though we would probably agree the left is much more polished and willing to play hardball.

22-Jul-18
The way I look at it are we getting our moneys worth from the special counsel?

Upwards of 20million dollars with no end in site and this is the best they can do? Time to cut our losses

22-Jul-18

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
This story goes with the 'Stand your Ground' thread.

22-Jul-18
What crimes? How about you wait for the investigation to conclude. That’s usually how law enforcement works.

the special counsel will investigate Russia and its influence on the election and do so thoroughly. If, in that process he uncovers money laundering or campaign finance issues or any additional criminal activity, should he ignore it?

Example: If a detective is investigating you for tax evasion and he finds you have a body in your basement, is that over reach? Should he just conclude things and ignore the other crime? I don’t think so and neither do you.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: Is trump above the law? And no, bringing up Clinton’s or obama or Biden or the Easter bunny does nothing for your argument because it’s an attempt at deflection.

Example: I’m being asked about my torrid past of driving recklessly and rather than answer based on that exact topic, i instead amswerby saying how fast and reckless my neighbor drives. Does doing that excuse my behavior? Of course not. It’s a juvenile attempt at deflecting attention away from me. That’s what happens here and that’s what trump does all the time.

Don’t, It’s not a good look.

22-Jul-18
I agree with you, Frank, the Starr/Mueller comparison demonstrates the hypocrisy of both political sides. I recall vividly how adamantly some folks, especially here on CF, defended the Starr investigation, while the left screamed it was a "witch hunt!".

Politics as usual, IMO.

Matt

22-Jul-18
"The question you need to ask yourself is this: Is trump above the law? And no, bringing up Clinton’s or obama or Biden or the Easter bunny does nothing for your argument because it’s an attempt at deflection."

You can call it deflection, I call it un equal application of the law. It's very apparent that there are different standards depending on who you are.

22-Jul-18
obama shouldn't be treated differently than Trump, by law or media. It's obvious that obama never got the negativity from the media that Trump has.

22-Jul-18
Trump has lost an attorney, he has lost the DOJ, he has lost the AG, FBi,and according to Tapper the CIA... so in my mind who needs them? Mr.Trump is doing it all on his own with no help from his own side... quite amazing if you ask me. Paul Ryan is a soft Rino that would not take a little heat for the major good, he is the epitome of a traitor.

22-Jul-18
So you're saying that the entirety of our government, including past presidents and senators are all crooked EXCEPT trump. He's the one thats blemish free, looking out for the little guy and he will single handedly usher in a new era of American exceptionalism.

Oh and When you're done with those drugs, seek help.

22-Jul-18
I wouldn't trust Ryan any further than i could spit.

22-Jul-18
Like myself, Trump is a flawed man. But, the Lord works in mysterious ways.

I thought he was done for during the campaign when he made fun of the physically challenged person. I thought when he mocked McCain's service he was done for. Today, I am glad I was wrong. I can't say I fully understand it except to say the majority will take a deeply flawed man over the self serving establishment we are all sick of.

Who knows, you came here an atheist, and might leave as a saint;)

22-Jul-18
"This is where we’re at with the mueller investigation."

This isn't with the mueller investigation. This is related to the million records that the SDNY is investigating when they raided cohen's office. It seems that Mueller agreed with you guys and sent this investigation elsewhere because it wasn't related to russian meddling in our election. Earlier, trump denied having the affair with McDougal. Now, trump and cohen are taped discussing the best way to pay her and keep it covered up. The only one in this entire mess I feel sorry for is Baron - put every other trump and their lawyers on an island in the south pacific without twitter and revisit them in 20 years.

"Also, a decline in values, which most conservatives care about."

Good one. If there has been anything learned in the past 2 years, it is that conservatives are concerned with power. Heck, if you look at free trade, the deficit and small government as cornerstones of conservatism, even conservatives don't believe in conservatism if it means they get to hold onto power a while longer.

22-Jul-18
LMAO!!! And Democrats AREN'T concerned with power??? Is that why they took over 1/5 of the US economy with ObamaCareTax??? They're ALL a bunch of power mad egotists who don't really give a crap about us, just getting re-elected.

22-Jul-18

Michael's Link
A good piece by Byron York.

With Mueller handing off cases could he be wrapping things up?

23-Jul-18
we had to trust the values of the dems for decades, look where that got us... I could care less about Trumps indiscretions before he was President... I also feel for Baron and the family and what will transpire from the sanctions, i hope we are not headed for a recession... that would do it.

• Sitka Gear