NvaGvUp 23-Jul-18
bigswivle 23-Jul-18
Bob H in NH 24-Jul-18
NvaGvUp 24-Jul-18
NvaGvUp 24-Jul-18
TD 24-Jul-18
NvaGvUp 24-Jul-18
20-Jul-18
I don't know how many of you guys are following The British Open at Carnoustie, which is known by the players as 'Carnasty,' but this course is the poster child for a Scottish links course in the summer.

The fairways get no artificial water ever, so are faster than the greens unless it rains.

Bump and run is the order of the day, be it a chip shot, an approach shot, or your drive.

Tiger hit a four iron off a tee yesterday on the back nine which went over 305 yards.

One of his playing partners, who is not a long hitter, hit a driver on the same hole which went for over 400 yards!

There is no way to hit a shot close to the pin without landing it far short of the green and then wishing, hoping, and praying it bounces towards the hole, which, given all of the humps and dips the ball will encounter, is highly unlikely to happen.

Then, if you get in a bunker, fuggeddaboutit! You're screwed!

Scottish links golf at it's best!

I played The Old Course at St. Andrews in 1964 when I was 15 years old. I carded an 84.

BUT!

Even though it was July, there had been some good summer rains and thus the fairways were lush green. Plus, we encountered NONE of the winds which are prone to blow in at gale force from the North Sea. So I was dumb lucky.

20-Jul-18
Kyle,

I was disappointed play was cancelled today due to rain.

I doubt I'll ever play Carnoustie, but I hope to see Scotland some day.

Matt

20-Jul-18
Matt,

You absolutely have to go to Scotland and Ireland!

Fantastically beautiful and the nicest and friendliest people you will ever meet.

Plus, the fish and chips you will want every day when you're there will blow away most of the crappy stuff they call Fish and Chips in the USA.

Plus, the Guiness is waaaaaay better than what we get here.

20-Jul-18
Nva

I've watched a little of it I'm not a golfer but love watching the game

I'm with Matt. Always wanted to go to Scotland I've been lucky to have been able to travel the world twice but never made Scotland

One of the bucket list things

21-Jul-18
Matt, none of the play at the Open was cancelled yesterday. It was for the PGA event stateside, but not at the Open.

I love watching links golf. And I love playing links golf even more. I’ve been to Ireland for 10 days of golf and I’ve been to Scotland twice and managed to get a few rounds in (planning to go back and play more of the famous Scottish courses next year as a matter of fact). There’s nothing like links golf. And when you combine it with the hospitality of the people over there and the culture it makes for a memorable experience.

I’ve also got a trip planned to Bandon Dunes in November. For those that aren’t familiar with Bandon, many people are calling the courses there the greatest links courses in the world. The place is fast becoming the Mecca of golf, not just for folks in the States but all over the world.

21-Jul-18
Kyle, I'm not a golf fan and had no idea what Carnasty was. I'm now educated. Glad to see you still check in here once in a while.

21-Jul-18
Boy, yesterday's rain really did a lot to tame the course. Guys are now able to go for the green without worrying about the ball running over the back.

Scores will be a lot better today.

21-Jul-18
Tiger birdies 14 and is now 6 under for the day and tied for the lead.

He won't stay there, as most of the others at or near the top have a lot more holes to play than he does.

But still…….

22-Jul-18
I love the majors..... but I'm gonna have to watch the replays..... no way am I getting up at 2-3am to watch golf. Hunting, no problem, but golf.... nope... not unless there's some sex involved.....

Tiger, Smiger..... In his majors history (5 years since 2013? or not quite 80 rounds(?) Jordan Spieth has led I believe 17 of them at the end of the day. That is flippin' amazing...... He has had the lead at the end of the day in over 20% of the major ROUNDS he has ever teed a ball up in.

22-Jul-18
BEG, yeah, sorry for my confusion on the cancellation.

It's shaping up for a great final round at Carnasty. I'll be tuned in.

Matt

22-Jul-18
Carnasty was playing like Carnicety yesterday! Shaping up to be an exciting final round!

22-Jul-18
I'm a fan of Spieth, and would love to see him repeat. But, I have to admit I'm rooting for Tiger even more.

Matt

22-Jul-18
I never used to be a big Tiger fan but always respected what he did. It will be great for the game of golf if he wins another major though.

That said, what a finish today! Congratulations Francesco!

22-Jul-18
Speith needs to speed up his game. Drives me bonkers. Love seeing tiger compete, great for the game

23-Jul-18
I was kinda hoping for the Tommy Fleetwood/Rory Mcllroy pairing that nearly happened....... Fleetwood Mac........

23-Jul-18
Fleetwood didn't win, but he's definitely 'got game.'

He's also hereby enshrined as the Leader of the PGA's "all hair team."

23-Jul-18
"He's also hereby enshrined as the Leader of the PGA's "all hair team.""

He looks like Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac if ya ask me,,, wonder if they're related?...8^)

23-Jul-18
Kyle, you think Tiger will win again?

23-Jul-18
Tiger came 3 strokes from winning this one, and I don't think his game is fully back to its potential yet. If he starts hitting a few more fairways, I see no reason why he couldn't win again, even a major.

Matt

23-Jul-18
Tiger's game is coming back, there's less doubt in my mind after watching him this year. In this tournament and in others his major liability has actually been his putter, which once upon a time was a strong part of his game-he simply made putts when he had to, almost regardless of their length or significance; he doesn't do that anymore, at least not yet.

He's no longer spraying balls all over the golf course and his short game is coming back nicely; when he straightens out the putter he'll definitely win on tour and a major, if not a few more majors is definitely possible, provided his back holds up.

As to his mental state I'd say that's a chicken or the egg thing; when his game is fully back he'll have that level of confidence, knowing that his "A" game is better than anyone else out there.

I really do see signs that it's coming.....

23-Jul-18
Tiger used a driver off the T a total of only 10 times in the first 3 rounds at Carnasty. Even after conceding that much yardage, he was still leading going into the final nine on Sunday. Ironically, it was 2 drives (with irons) that prevented him from winning. If he ever gets confident and proficient with his big sticks again, watch out.

Matt

23-Jul-18
Best story of the final day is that Sunday's lowest score for the day was turned in by a golfer with a hangover! LOL

23-Jul-18
I have to admit, I've played some of my best rounds with the "brown bottle flu", too.

As Bobby Jones once said, “Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course, the space between your ears.”

;-)

Matt

23-Jul-18
bigswivle,

"Kyle, you think Tiger will win again?"

Without question.

And not just non-majors, but likely two or more majors.

He made some shots yesterday no one else would even dream of attempting, let alone doing.

He'll win again several times, as long as his back stays healthy, that is.

23-Jul-18
I tend to agree with Mike in CT here. His game is light years ahead of where he was a few years ago. He may not be fully back to where he was when he was dominant, but from a physical standpoint, he doesn't need to be in order to win again. He's been near the top of the leaderboard in quite a few tournaments this year and I think it's just a matter of time when he finds himself alone at the top. When he does and he gets that monkey off the back and he remembers what it takes to win mentally and gets that feeling back, the floodgates may open to a degree.

23-Jul-18
Kyle,

Tiger's fairway bunker shot from 10 on Sunday was the one that told me he was back. Nobody recoils from a swing like that with a bad back. I think he's finally healthy physically, and mentally, to compete again.

Matt

23-Jul-18
Matt,

Twenty plus years ago we had a going away party at my club for a guy whose wife was being transferred to Philly to run a division of a big company. Gap for Kids, I think it was.

After dinner and without realizing it, buddies kept ordering me 'one more glass' of single malt, which I, of course, drank.

It hit me when I got home and climbed into bed.

The world was spinning out of control and I realized I was totally wasted.

Early the next morning we had a scramble tournament in the guy's honor. All I remember is that I started on Hole #15 and that I was really hung over, yet was minus-two after the first four holes despite my sad condition!

LOL!

23-Jul-18
Hopefully his back holds up

24-Jul-18
Tiger is back, he led the field in driving accuracy last weekend. Which is ironic it was 2 missed fairways, with irons, that led to his fail. He's physically back, almost mentally back, the issue is he's 42. Time is running out. I think he's doing it right, not playing to much, enough to get the sharpness back, but not to much to wear out. The open is made for him, he's a smart golfer and the greens are slower. Fast greens burn your nerves!

24-Jul-18
42 means nothing. It's an irrelevant number and a number is all it is.

Tiger has set the golfing standard for fitness and staying in shape and he's still doing so.

24-Jul-18
I was at the barber shop this morning and picked Golf Week to read. They had an article on Carnoustie noting what a couple of dozen USGA course raters thought of the course.

There was almost universal agreement that the last four holes are the most challenging and demanding finishing holes in all of golf.

The word 'Carnasty' came up a lot!

24-Jul-18
Almost to a man the putter is what lets down the aging golfer. Many still have the swing, or a swing.... and certainly better course management and experience. But consistently making those 6-8 foot putts..... ask Tom Watson. I watched Lefty at the Masters hit great shot after great shot..... and then 3 putt from 8 feet. Same with Freddy Couples.... he has his back issues.... but misses makeable putts (for a pro) he needs.

When Tiger was dominating..... seemed he never missed a putt he should have made and made a ton of spectacular ones he should have missed. He left a lot of puts out there last week. A lot. Eyes, nerves..... whatever, it seems in most cases the putter fails the aging pro first.

24-Jul-18
Yup!

Once you start missing putts you used to make, it goes to your head and at that point, YOU ARE SO SCREWED!

• Sitka Gear