HA/KS 02-Aug-18
HA/KS 03-Aug-18
HA/KS 04-Aug-18
Will 04-Aug-18
HA/KS 08-Aug-18
HA/KS 08-Aug-18
HA/KS 09-Aug-18
29-Jul-18
Need to start a positive thread. Do you have any good news to post?

29-Jul-18

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

29-Jul-18
When I think of Ronald Reagan, I think of optimism and hope, a belief that our best days are still ahead of us.

When I read posts here, the opposite happens. And yet we are critical of the next generation. Are we part of the problem? I ask sincerely.

29-Jul-18
HFW

You are so right. The negativity here has run some Damn good people off

One of the problems as I see it is not enough people here get out enough. No travel. Limited travel I agree there are lots of problems we as a nation face but all in all we will make it. We are a great people and have survived so many things that would have crushed other nations

Every time I leave this country and experience other countries I can't help but feel how blessed we really are

29-Jul-18
When I think of Reagan I remember the hostile corporate mergers take over of the pension, the S&L, PACO, the Soviet's Trans-Eorpean PipeLine sanction that was lifted several months latter which cost thousands of oil related jobs,amnesty for 4 million and the corruption that is magnified now. The Reagan era made me more self-reliant to adapt and overcome the financial bounces, it was a tough time as a blue collar worker. As far as hunting it was a great time of unrestrictive hunts that will never see again. I voted for Ed Clark, Libertarian that carried the majority vote when I lived in Alaska 1980 POTUS election and still am an independent conservative. We are in a very dangerous times if our justice system isn't resolved from the corruptness that was spawned by the DNC with some RNC players involved in taking down a elected POTUS.

29-Jul-18
Some great stories at your link.

I liked this one.

"Their Promposal Went Viral, But Their Friendship Goes Much Further"

29-Jul-18

HA/KS's Link
Another fun one.

"Her Birthday Wish Was To Ride In A Convertible In A Parade, So The Town Threw Her A Parade"

29-Jul-18
Part of the work my company does is install brick pavers. Our biggest (and now pretty much only) supplier is Uni-Lock. One of the current jobs we have is for a paver driveway. We are ready to tear the old existing driveway out and when I went to order the delivery of the pavers I was told that the particular paver they want is out of stock and it will be almost 2 weeks before they can make more.

Obviously this did NOT make my day, as when I start a project I want to finish it ASAP. That, and it really messes up my job scheduling. It's bad enough having to deal with the weather, so this is just more aggravation. It was really getting to me and then I had the thought of...When was the last time Uni-Lock's sales exceeded their production? Why...it was almost TEN YEARS AGO!!!! Maybe...just maybe....this, while being a temporary aggravation, is actually a GOOD thing when you look at it on a grand scale! PEOPLE ARE SPENDING MONEY ON THEIR HOMES AGAIN! HALLELUJAH!! THANK YOU MR. TRUMP!!!!!

29-Jul-18
It’s not national news but I took my bow in to get new strings put on. I ended up walking out with a Hoyt RX 1 Ultra on order yesterday.

I was amazed at how smooth of a draw it had. It felt similar to my Elite Answer I had a few years ago.

Hopefully it will bring me a big bull from unit 23 in Wyoming this year.

30-Jul-18
An observation, not a story:

In my daily life, I don't see the hate, fear and discord between people of any identity that gets plastered everywhere. People hold doors for each other, smile, engage in banter, let cars merge into traffic, etc. Granted, that could be regional but, it's there in my world. Basic human decency crosses racial, gender, etc divides.

30-Jul-18
Owl,

My observations as well, here in KS and MO.

30-Jul-18
Our pastor told a story in church on Sunday about a little boy that was locked in a room with a huge pile of horse poop....... He began throwing poop all over the room......... When asked what he was doing......... his reply was that with all that horse poop in the room..... there had to be a pony in there somewhere ........ he was digging for a pony...... The eternal optimist........

30-Jul-18
Owl

Ditto

I travel more than I really like to both in state and more out of state to lots of places and what I experience is exactly what you describe. The news media and internet seem to be the places that "the divide" theology seems to get the most play.

An example of this was the week I just spent in Birmingham Alabama, historically one of the hot beds for the racial divide in this country. I experiece only normal behavior Considerate and nice people of all races.

30-Jul-18
....reminds me of a story of a little bird who was shivering in the cold, crying. A cow came along and asked what the problem was. The little bird told the cow he was cold so the cow shit on him. The little bird warmed quickly and began singing. Along came a fox who heard the singing and pulled the bird out of the cowpie and ate the bird.

The moral of the story, just because someone shits on you doesn't mean they are doing you harm. Likewise, when someone takes you out of a pile of shit, doesn't mean they have good intentions. Either way when your up to your neck in shit, keep your mouth shut.

30-Jul-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
"Lane Frost: The legend lives on"

Great article about a Rodeo superstar who died at age 25. It was 29 years ago in Cheyenne.

It contains some great news that some will appreciate and others will not understand.

30-Jul-18
HA/Ks Thanks great read

30-Jul-18

Franzen's Link
I would have likely never known a thing about Lane if it weren't for "8 Seconds", so it is hard to be too critical of it. I'm sure there are more people than me in that boat. One of my favorites.

30-Jul-18
Never been much of a rodeo fan, but that was a heck of a read. The link HFW posted had me reading until 3 AM, great stuff. And I agree 100% with Owl.

30-Jul-18

30-Jul-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

30-Jul-18

Straight —» Arrow's Link
I swam 2 miles underneath the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday with 37 others swimmers about 1/2 of who are current or former SEALs. We raised $50,000+ for the Navy SEAL Foundation. Lot of good vibes going on during and after the event despite the seriousness of that need. Water temp was 58 and very foggy at the 8 am start. I rode out to the start of the race in a Vietnam era PBR with The Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil blasting out of big loudspeakers. Felt like water ski scene in Apocalypse Now.....talk about getting goose bumps!

http://www.goldengatefrogman.com/

30-Jul-18
Cool SA. THANKS.

30-Jul-18
I birdied one of the toughest holes at my local golf course, today, then promptly shanked my ensuing drive resulting in a triple bogey on the next hole. Just a typical day on the links for me.

;-)

Matt

30-Jul-18
My daughter gave me a goodbye kiss when I left for work today. Then she stopped me and gave me an extra one for each of my pockets so I wouldn't run out during the day.

30-Jul-18
I am just starting 12 days of bachelorhood as Robin is on vacation.

Being diabetic, I have to be careful. Being single, I just ate two Nutty Buddy ice cremes. Only female in the house, my black lab Reagan, did not utter a word of disappointment.

You know why guys die younger right? They want to;)

30-Jul-18
I have no feel-good story other than this coming weekend I get to camp at the Iowa Bowhunters Assn fall festival with four of my buddies. Friday Loesshillsarcher and I go golfing at the swanky nine hole Eldora Iowa country club. Then we make too much food. This year including stuffed elk and deer backstrap. Saturday we go to the Pine Lake Archers grounds for the best $2.50 biscuits and gravy ever. Then shoot two twenty target courses. Then a pot luck usually including fish from Canada and Alaska. Life’s good. And politics comes up almost never.

30-Jul-18
Hawk archer Your last sentence says it all

Have fun. !!

30-Jul-18
Owl, that’s the way things go during my daily interactions, too. People of all races, political beliefs, ethnicities, income levels, you name it - all being friendly and living like respectable human beings.

GG, we call that the PBFU. Post birdie **** up!!

01-Aug-18

HA/KS's Link
"Massive U.S. Wind Farm Gets Cancelled After Regulators Question Its Benefits"

"“We are disappointed that we will not be able to move forward with Wind Catcher, which was a great opportunity to provide more clean energy, lower electricity costs..."

Lower electricity costs? You mean milk the government teat, don't you?

"....so we could complete the project by the end of 2020 and be eligible for 100 percent of the federal production tax credit,”

In other words, the can only afford to build wind as long as they are receiving subsidies that hide the real cost of wind generation.

01-Aug-18
Ok, if that was a feel good story for you Henry, you are consumed with politics, LOL.

Here is mine for the day. Called my area Conservation Officer about the coyote numbers on and near my farm. His response is he is meeting me at the farm tomorrow to set some snares. Wow!

Why, because I did not want to purchase a $160 non-resident license just to get them under control. He agreed. He really extends himself to folks that are trying. MO is full of great wildlife public servants!

01-Aug-18
Politics? I prefer nature over windmills.

01-Aug-18
My apology, I mis-intetpreted.

01-Aug-18

02-Aug-18

02-Aug-18
Awesome!!!

03-Aug-18

HA/KS's Link
Army veteran meets the little girl he saved with his bone marrow donation

04-Aug-18
Think you are determined?

You have no clue!

04-Aug-18
State opened 4500 acres of previously off limits land to hunting this fall - that's just awesome! Many spots I've always wanted to hunt, but were off limits now are huntable!

Family is well and Ill agree with those of you seeing positive interactions between people!

06-Aug-18

08-Aug-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
A TRUE HERO. The date was August 8, 1982. The Red Sox were playing an afternoon game at Boston's Fenway Park. Suddenly a screaming foul ball whizzed past the first base dugout and Red Sox left fielder Jim Rice heard the unmistakable sound of ball striking flesh. Looking around the corner of the dugout into the stands Rice saw 4 year old Jonathan Keane bleeding profusely from his head. Realizing in a split second that it would take several minutes for park EMT's to get to the scene, the future Hall of Famer sprang into action. Rice leaped over the railing into the stands, cradled the young fan into his arms and carried the boy into the dugout where he received immediate attention from the team's medical staff. Within just a few minutes Jonathan was rushed to the hospital where doctors credited Rice with saving the boys life. Jim Rice played the rest of the game in a blood stained uniform, a true badge of courage. (Written by D.J. McCoy)

(*** Postscript: Jonathan is 41 years old now and has no memory of the incident. His only reminder is a small scar above his right eye).

08-Aug-18
Awesome Henry!

08-Aug-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Having been in 4-H, I exactly understand this.

"This picture was taken in a pure and raw moment of our son.

Proud doesn’t even come close when I reflect on what I learned about our 8 year old son this past week. Back in March he decided that he wanted to do the Market lamb project for his first year in 4-H. We made sure that he understood that the end would result in one of his lambs most likely being in the Sale at Fair and fulfilling its purpose as a Market animal. He was set on the task at hand. He knew he would get attached to both ewe lambs, who he named Pork and Beans, and he knew where one would likely end up. He surprised us with his tenacity when it came to early morning feedings before school and late nights nursing a sick one through pneumonia. He worked them every day . Taught them how to lead and brace. He measured and weighed feed and supplements as well as making sure they had clean fresh water at all times. I would catch him hugging and loving on them when he would have a quiet moment . There was no doubt that he loved them.

At Fair we could tell that he was very proud of his finished projects . He faced his fears and walked into the show ring with his head held high and gave it all he had. He built a beautiful partnership with Pork and Beans. As a mom , my heart was so full and I was in awe of my boy. I looked at his dad beaming with pride of his son .

Sale day came and we found out that Beans made the cut. Beans and Dalton posed for a picture for their potential buyers in front of a Douglas County back drop, then their Auction number was painted on Beans’s back. At that point, tears started rolling down my sons face. I hugged him and kissed his forehead. But, he was still set on what was to fallow. That night, we watched him proudly walk her around the Auction arena and sell her for a number beyond what any of us ever expected. The incredible thing about 4-H auctions is that buyers don’t pay just what the animal is worth, they exceed far beyond their market value because they believe in our children’s hard work and want to invest in them. He left that auction arena on cloud nine and so pumped for next year.

Sunday came around and we knew it was going to be a rough day . Beans had a color painted on her back which indicated which truck she was to be loaded on. Time came to take her out of the pen and lead her that direction. My heart ached as I watch my child say goodbye to his partner . As much as I tried, I couldn’t help but let the tears stream down my face. My boy gave her many hugs and scratches. His father, fighting his own tears asked if our son needed him to take Beans to semi but, our sweet, courageous boy insisted on doing it himself. The barn was filled with many kids and parents that were going through the same thing. What a beautiful thing. These animals are destined for Market. How incredible that they land in the hands of children who love them and give them the best care while they are here on this earth . I found myself in a strange place. I wanted to fix my son’s heartache, but at the same time I knew how important it was to fallow through with the ENTIRE 4-H project. From start to finish. And even though this was tough, we had to allow him this experience. Sobbing, he loaded Beans on the truck , walked her halter back to the sheep barn where he was embraced with many hugs from other 4-H members wiping their own tears because they to just said goodbye to their partners. And through all of this, he actually thanked us for allowing him this experience.

My son is my hero. He is bigger than I ever knew. My son ran the race and finished regardless of his feelings and emotions. He loved his lamb, but he knew what was important. He raised a great product through blood, sweat , and tears, and he completed his project. He never asked to keep her. He never tried to quit. He gave it his all and succeeded. We are a family who loves to eat meat and he wanted to contribute to that in his own way by raising a Market animal. He will never forget Beans but is ready to do it all again next year. This is what 4-H is all about. What extraordinary kids!"

09-Aug-18

HA/KS's Link
"Medal of Honor recipient saved combat outpost"

Not sure why this popped up now since the award was in 2013.

If you asked me to name one good thing obama did in 8 years (or before or after for that matter), I would have a very hard time thinking of one. I give him no credit for this either, but at least he did present the medal.

"With small arms gunfire, mortar rounds and Rocket Propelled Grenades from hundreds of Taliban firing into a small U.S. Army outpost in Northeastern Afghanistan, Staff Sgt. Clint Romesha asked his fellow soldiers if there were any volunteers to help him lead a counterattack to take back the front gate.

He was surprised by the response -- a powerful moment of truth which he would later call the proudest moment of his Army career.

Their outpost had been overrun, Army soldiers had been killed, remaining fighters had been unable to get to ammunition supplies and Taliban fighters had breached the front gate, Romesha explained.

“I said I need a group of volunteers. Five guys who did not even know what the plan was and did not know what I was about to ask stood up with pure grit and determination and said they would follow me anywhere. I told them the counterattack plan,” Romesha told Warrior Maven in an interview."

• Sitka Gear