KSflatlander 04-Aug-18
Glunt@work 05-Aug-18
sleepyhunter 05-Aug-18
Glunt@work 05-Aug-18
Glunt@work 06-Aug-18
Glunt@work 10-Aug-18
Glunt@work 10-Aug-18
03-Aug-18
"If it bleeds it leads..." The MSM now pushes for war just so they can keep viewership.

03-Aug-18
Armed people who take over a federal property are hardly innocent.

Regardless, it is tragic someone lost their life in this situation.

03-Aug-18
I have zero sympathy for the guy being in armed in opposition to armed law enforcement.....it is just plain stupid. You can't fight the system that way. It almost preordained to work out bad for you.

03-Aug-18
Be interesting to see what a jury concludes after reviewing all of the evidence.

03-Aug-18
Good thing he didn't shoot a lion with a name in the back..... death threats would have been stacking up already.....

03-Aug-18
I still say we will be writing Finicum's family a really big check when all is said and done. He wasn't innocent but the FBI agent shot at him as he exited the truck with his hands up and then the agent told investigators he never fired his weapon. His FBI team mates told the same story and the spent brass disappeared.

The shots that killed Finicum fired by the local cops have been ruled legit but the Feds screwed up.

Bundy's group was protesting Government overreach and dishonesty. Not the best time for the government to make a bad call on using lethal force and then be dishonest about it.

04-Aug-18

KSflatlander's Link
This doesn’t look like hands up to me. See video.

04-Aug-18
Well, we all know I am not trained, but I would have shot also, and I will probably stand corrected for that but...

Whatever the gripe, maybe even legitimate, at that point you do what the officers say and everyone gets their day in court later.

04-Aug-18
Spike- I’m curious. After watching the video I want to know. If you were the law enforcement officer in that scenario...would you have shot? Yes or no and I would like to know why you would have or wouldn’t.

Regardless it is still tragic and I feel for Finicum’s family.

04-Aug-18
Spike- I’m curious. After watching the video I want to know. If you were the law enforcement officer in that scenario...would you have shot? Yes or no and I would like to know why you would have or wouldn’t.

Regardless it is still tragic and I feel for Finicum’s family.

05-Aug-18

Glunt@work's Link
KS: The video you posted is after he was away from the truck and the local (state) police shot him. The FBI agent shot just as he exited his door, one of the bullets went through the roof and broke the rear driver side window. A fragment lodged in Ryan Bundy's shoulder. His hands are up but I think if the FBI agent had been honest about the shot it would be 50%-50% that it would have been ruled as justified depending on the agents reasoning in that moment. Since he and the rest of the FBI HRT team tried to hide the fact that any shots were fired by them, it sours their side of the case pretty bad. We have paid millions before.

05-Aug-18
Glunt, Spike, I accept what you say as fact, yet, he does appear to be going for his gun more than once. In spite of any previous mistakes, he is a lawbreaker going for his gun. I would not wait to get shot.

Probably better decisions could have been made, there probably will be a payout but I bet the shooting at that moment will be ruled justfied.

05-Aug-18
Finicum, should have made the decision to turn himself in at lot sooner. The situation would have turned out better for him.

05-Aug-18
I agree it appears he was reaching where his gun was. Its possible he was grasping at his side from being hit with one of the non lethal rounds some officers/agents were armed with or maybe being shot at with his arms up as he exited the truck, or just the whole situation was enough for him to decide to go out fighting.

To me, he looks like he is either panicked or not fully committed to drawing a weapon since he alternates between reaching and having his arms up. Could be stress or maybe he was reaching/grabbing at his side for some other reason. Under that type of stress, people often do irrational things. At the first stop a few minutes before, the cops shot a nonlethal round at the truck that hit the mirror while they were stopped. The people in the truck said they assumed it was a real bullet that was fired at them.

You are allowed to defend yourself against anyone, including LE, if they are unjustly endangering your life. Maybe that was his mindset. Maybe he was just pissed off and crazy and decided to try and go out blazing. He knew he was poking the bear but whether he was an idiot, patriot, unstable, brave, misguided, or freedom fighter doesn't really matter when judging the use of force by LE.

I think the moment the OSP shot will remain considered justified. I think the FBI shots and how the overall operation that day went down are issues. The nonlethal round shot at the first stop, the FBI shots as he exited, the FBI cover-up, and the positioning and use of a road block with no pass through when its known that nonsuspects are in the vehicle could be issues.

I'm not a supporter of the Bundy crew's actions but I do know enough about land use here in the West to know its not a one-sided issue. I also would be misguided to give the FBI the benefit of the doubt given whats been going on in that organizing.

Based on what we know now and how the legal stuff played out, its likely that if he would have surrendered right away at the first stop, he would likely be home on his ranch making Youtube videos promoting his side of the issue.

05-Aug-18
Good points, thanks.

06-Aug-18
Poor odds when going up against a more powerful force. Both the Michael Brown case and the Eric Garner case resulted in grand jurys and settlements in the millions to their families. Each case is very different but I expect a similar outcome in this case.

10-Aug-18
The criminal trial of the FBI agent investigators believe fired the two unaccounted for shots is being deliberated by a jury at the moment. Prosecutors say forensic evidence rules out any other source of the shots. The defense says the prosecution expert's methods were flawed. Someone at the scene fired the two shots and lied about it, we will see if the jury believes it was this agent.

10-Aug-18
The agent was found not guilty. It remains a mystery whether it was the FBI or SWAT that fired the shots and lied.

11-Aug-18
Thanks for the update Glunt.

• Sitka Gear