Woods Walker 11-Aug-18
Treeline 11-Aug-18
Two Feathers 11-Aug-18
tonyo6302 11-Aug-18
Woods Walker 11-Aug-18
Mike the Carpenter 11-Aug-18
JL 11-Aug-18
10-Aug-18
Next week I'm flying Delta from Milwaukee to Atlanta, changing planes and flying to Albany, Ga. I want to put my 3 piece longbow and some arrows in my checked baggage. Should I expect any problems with that or should I talk to Delta ahead of time. Semper Fi - Tom

10-Aug-18
I flew to alaska last year with my 3 piece Longbow and a dozen arrows. Nobody asked, and I never said a word. My buddy, who brought a rifle, took FOREVER to get through check-in. We both got there no problem, and everything arrived safe. Same thing on the return trip.

They know exactly what is in your bags. Just pack everything neatly and don’t make it look like you are trying to hide anything. Personally, I don’t like to fly with camouflage on any of my stuff. Never know what kind of anti you might upset and ruin your stuff (cowards). Best to fly under the radar and enjoy the hunt.

10-Aug-18
Check the Delta website, and print yourself a copy of their rules. Most Airlines consider Bows and Arrows to be Sporting Equipment and have no special Regs except maybe size & weight restrictions. The copy you keep in your pocket in case you meet a Delta employee who doesn't know their own rules, which is more common than you'd think. I always keep my case locked. Have labels on all cases inside and out.

Some hunters use Golf Travel hard cases which attract very little attention.

11-Aug-18
Just drive. Problems solved!

11-Aug-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
You will have no issues.

I have flown all over with bows. Never any issue.

Actually took 6 bows and bunches of arrows down to South America when we moved down and back. Also a lot of fishing gear. A number of those bows were 1-piece. I had two of the long canvas covered pvc tubes from 3-rivers, two short ones for takedown bows and arrows, and another long pvc tube I made myself. Strapped them together to go as fewer pieces of luggage.

A 2-piece longbow is the easiest. This is what I take on fly-in and horse-back hunting.

11-Aug-18
Thanks for the info.

WW I'm driving back. While down there I'm buying a used Rav4, one that hasn't spent it's winters in snow and salt and hopefully one that hasn't been flooded.

11-Aug-18
Ace for the win.

.. … .

.. .. .. .

I flew to Hawaii in 2013 via United.. I had no problems boarding in Dulles, VA, to get there.

However, when flying back to Virginia, the lefty loonies in Hawaii took issue with my Takedown Recurve, arrows, etc, in my checked baggage. ( TSA xray of bag prompted the issue )

I showed them, United and TSA, a copy of United's policy, classifying Archery Equipment as Sporting goods, with no requirement to declare, or any special paperwork required.

That then drew out Supervisors. Finally, they agreed that I was correct, and checked my bag with no further issues.

Ace is correct, know your $hit and be able to prove it.

11-Aug-18
......or just drive yourself. But that would make Hawaii a bit of an issue.

11-Aug-18
I flew to Kauai, Hawaii to hunt goats in Waimea Canyon back in 2012 and I had a cheap golf club case with all my gear in it to last me a week. Nobody asked, I said nothing and had an awesome time hunting in paradise. Tried the same thing last year and they told me if it doesn’t have golf clubs in it, I have to pay over sized charge. I paid as there was nothing else I could do as I was flying out in a couple hours, and honestly, they were correct. I point in arguing when I was trying to sneak through.

11-Aug-18
Anyway to get a 4"-6" fishing pole container...maybe 48" tall and put the bow/arrows in it? I did that with my fishing poles last Saturday on Delta. I walked onto the plane with it, asked it I could put it in their little storage closet up front and they were cool with it. They had it out waiting for me when I was deplaning. If need be (or you can) check the BH's in your checked baggage to keep everyone happy.

• Sitka Gear