Community
Contributors to this thread:
Will 04-Sep-18
Will 04-Sep-18
JD 04-Sep-18
HA/KS 04-Sep-18
04-Sep-18

Will's Link
This article on skimming just crossed my feed. Good read, and affirming read if you are a reading nerd like me. Meshes with a lot of other info I've read related to learning of late, but also makes me think of the work of Cal Newport, who's written a few great books, but the one that i was most reminded of here is called "Deep Work". Worth a read for sure.

Couple of cool quotes from the linked article: "We should be less concerned with students’ “cognitive impatience,” however, than by what may underlie it: the potential inability of large numbers of students to read with a level of critical analysis sufficient to comprehend the complexity of thought and argument found in more demanding texts, whether in literature and science in college, or in wills, contracts and the deliberately confusing public referendum questions citizens encounter in the voting booth."

"The subtle atrophy of critical analysis and empathy affects us all. It affects our ability to navigate a constant bombardment of information. It incentivizes a retreat to the most familiar silos of unchecked information, which require and receive no analysis, leaving us susceptible to false information and demagoguery."

04-Sep-18
Good stuff Will!

04-Sep-18
KPC, it's a good point. Social media does lend itself to skim and shoot approaches... Regardless, it's good information to consider, I think.

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Will

04-Sep-18
Good read. Thanks Will.

04-Sep-18
We rent our basement to a couple of college girls. One read every word of every page of the contract and asked some questions before she signed.

We knew that she intended to be bound by the contract.

05-Sep-18
Probably normal for people to take a more lax approach with social media than a legal contract. 'Social' being a key word, to me implies a less formal approach, the same approach one would take in the physical presence of friends. A greater challenge communicating in writing for sure, more opportunity for mis-interpretations.

But then again, maybe some do approach social and more formal interactions the same way?

• Sitka Gear