Will 09-Sep-18
Grey Ghost 09-Sep-18
Heat 15-Sep-18
wooddamon1 15-Sep-18
Heat 15-Sep-18
wooddamon1 16-Sep-18
Heat 16-Sep-18
08-Sep-18
Headed to Michigan to fish the Muskegon river for Salmon in Mid October. Could someone please recommend a durable set of waders that absolutely won't leak. Leaning towards neoprene and stocking foot with boots. Thanks in advance!

08-Sep-18
Neoprenes are fine. Stocking or boot foot. Depending on how hard you are on your waders depends on how long they last. I typically get about 2 yrs out of a pair if I'm lucky, but I am pretty hard on them. I tried the high end brands and found they are not much more durable. Pro-line or cabelas brand work just fine. You can probably find them for ~$100. Better to buy those every 2 years than a $300+ pair. I prefer the boot foot. YMMV.

If the weather is unseasonably warm, I just roll the top down around my waist. They will wear like pants.

08-Sep-18
Neoprenes are fine. Stocking or boot foot. Depending on how hard you are on your waders depends on how long they last. I typically get about 2 yrs out of a pair if I'm lucky, but I am pretty hard on them. I tried the high end brands and found they are not much more durable. Pro-line or cabelas brand work just fine. You can probably find them for ~$100. Better to buy those every 2 years than a $300+ pair. I prefer the boot foot. YMMV.

If the weather is unseasonably warm, I just roll the top down around my waist. They will wear like pants.

08-Sep-18
No matter what you get be sure to include a belt for the top. I had a friend nearly drown when he stepped off a ledge into real deep water. He was retrieving ducks. He was very lucky that his son saw it happen and dove down to get his dad. When you waders fill with water you are in deep trouble in deep water. His son is a big strong young man and he said it was tough.

08-Sep-18

Mike B's Link
Heat, I fish the Northwest rivers for steelhead, in winter. The banks are typically covered in thorny blackberry patches and devil's club. I need tough, warm waders, and these fit the bill. I've got close to 10 years on mine, and not a hole yet.

09-Sep-18
My cabelas pro series are going strong for the 3rd year. But, for some reason, the crotch leaks in my float tube, but not when standing, weird.

Patagonia have gotten amazing reviews from my friends who own them, but wild $$$.

Regardless, get some first lite or sitka base layers and alpaca socks for under and u are good to go.

09-Sep-18
If you are going to travel with waders, I would not bring neoprene.

09-Sep-18
Aw, the old wives tale of waders filling with water. Wades weigh no more in water than they do on land. When I got certified to be a lifeguard we had to jump in the pool (12 ft) with them on and let them fill, they do not drag you to the bottom. You can swim with waders on.

09-Sep-18
I have been using Dan Bailey's for years with no complaints.

09-Sep-18
I stopped using neoprene wader years ago. They are too hot, and too easy to tear holes in.

Simms makes the best waders available, IMO. Their G3 and G4 waders are far superior to neoprene, but they are pricey.

Matt

09-Sep-18
I bought a pair of Orvis Ultra lights this season along with the ultra light boot, so far I'm loving them they really are very lightweight, they feel like they weigh less than a pair of jeans and take up no more than that space in a bag. They seem durable enough, so far still watertight. I do exercise a reasonable amount of care and try to avoid walking through briars, but I also did that with other waders. I can see me getting two seasons out of these, which is the threshold I set for waders, I usually get more but I consider that a bonus.

09-Sep-18
GG, have you compared Simms to Patagonia...? The last few years, increasingly I'm seeing Simms owners shift to Patagonia, though they never have a bad thing to say about Simms! Your comment got me curious...

09-Sep-18
Will,

I looked at the Patagonias, but the Simms fit me better and seemed higher quality to me.

I now wear the waist high Simms almost exclusively. They’re so much more comfortable, and I never wade over my waist, anyway.

Matt

15-Sep-18
Done a lot more shopping and research and still haven't bought yet but kinda narrowing things down. Still going to stick with the stocking foot but I'm leaning more towards the breathables instead of the neoprenes now. Realizing that it would give me a lot more options, especially going to places near me in the summer. Marble Canyon near page has excellent fishing, cold water and HOT air. Going to need light waders if I'm fishing there most times. Also Big Lake is nice too, but it can get a bit hot in the daytime. If I want to get in my float tube even in the summer, I'm going to probably need some waders. Neoprene would be way too hot for the air temps I'm thinking.

Cabelas and Sportman's Warehouse have a few models I'm considering a lot for the fact I can return them to their store if I have issues and not have to send something back in the mail, but also looking at LL Bean. They seem to have one of the better warranties, even though it has gone downhill for customers recently. Too many greedy people trading their stuff for new too often I suppose. Either way, 1 year refund and lifetime on materials and workmanship is still pretty good. Simms is out of my league. I just don't fish enough to justify those, otherwise it seems to me they are head and shoulders above the rest.

15-Sep-18
Heat, where on the Muskegon will you be fishing?

15-Sep-18
Somewhere between Newaygo and Croton. Pine Street I believe. I've never been but my father in law from Indiana has been going for like 30 years.

16-Sep-18
Oh, nice area. I've never fished it for salmon, but I've floated from Croton dam to Thornapple many times and caught limits of football sized rainbows occasionally. Some nice browns and smallies in there, too. If you're FIL has been fishing it for that long you should do pretty well. My cabin isn't too far west of that area. Have fun and good luck!

16-Sep-18
Thanks Damon!

• Sitka Gear