Grey Ghost 18-Sep-18
Woods Walker 18-Sep-18
HA/KS 19-Sep-18
Woods Walker 19-Sep-18
Franzen 19-Sep-18
RK 19-Sep-18
Franzen 29-Sep-18
14-Sep-18
Another more light-hearted topic here. A buddy and I were in a disagreement on the implementation of possession limits. I am not sure of the basis for my reasoning, but I was always under the impression that possession limits were implemented to keep a single hunter from taking an overabundance of game or fish that they weren't utilizing. I may be completely wrong. Does anyone know the history behind possession limits? Also, if you think they have morphed into something different in present day, feel free to elaborate on that as well.

I know Google is always there, but it is more interesting to discuss it if anyone cares to.

14-Sep-18
I don't know the history. I grew up in northern MN and, if game wardens had checked freezers for possession limits of fish, about 90% of my town would have been in jail.

That was our food for the winter - fish and deer.

14-Sep-18
Dang, that's a good question. I'd always thought of it as a way to assure folks just were not taking to much game or fish. Figured it was a conservation tool that had always been there, since the end of commercial hunting.

Ill be curious to see what the board comes up with! Really cool question!

14-Sep-18
I thought the possession limit was while afield, and usually states after two or more days of hunting.

.. . ..

.. . . .

Once back home in the freezer, you are good to go out again.

That is my understanding.

14-Sep-18
I find it irritating that I can't duck hunt in another state for more than two days without eating or giving away the ducks. I've never liked the rule. I'm shooting them legal....I should be able to take them all back home. Same with fish.

14-Sep-18
yes.....I agree. Even in your freezer. Where live for deer you have to have all of last years deer out of your freezer before this year season starts.

14-Sep-18
I normally fill my freezer with white perch fillets and there is no limit on them. I only keep a couple deer in the freezer and eat them before I hunt them again. Our limits on deer is so high You would need a bunch of freezers. I kill a few deer for family and friends but have cut way back now. Take a lot more deer pictures than shooting them. I normally shoot mature does as my choice and let the little stuff walk. An old doe with fawns is just as hard to get close to as an old buck. When the rut is on the bucks can be easy targets. When you only get it for a short time, once a year, they tend to do some stupid things.

14-Sep-18
It's stupid. I don't know the reasoning, and the only time I've ever really paid attention to it was hunting SD for pheasant, and then coming home after the hunt. Of course, my buddy and I wanted to take every available pheasant home to eat. Our hosts (who hunted with us), being locals, were keen to let us take even their pheasants home, since they could always hunt more.

Ended up we had to leave even some of our birds there with them. Sucked! I basically got one good pheasant meal with my family, and that was it. Bastards

14-Sep-18
Have to remember, we’re all sport hunting, not sustenance hunting. We live to hunt, not vice versa.

14-Sep-18
Possession limit means just that.

If it's in your freezer, it's in your possession.

15-Sep-18
Kyle for the win.........

Concise, and accurate!

15-Sep-18
Surprisingly no history yet, but maybe someone will have something going forward. As stated in my original post, I've always believed they were implemented for the same reason as many of you, with conservation in mind.

However, I don't agree with part of Pig Doc's post, in that without possession limits bag limits are useless. Bag limits are the daily take, period. Going over means breaking the law, period. If possession limits were there ONLY for the purpose of reinforcing bag limits, one or the other is a pointless law really. In this day and age, we need more clarity and not additional laws. Lawbreakers will break the law, regardless of which law it is.

Apparently, a popular thing to do in waterfowling (so I'm told, because I've never hunted waterfowl), is a phenomenon called "gifting". In other words, as long as you write someone else's name on a tag attached to the bird, you can "possess" as many as you want. This seems odd to me, and against the purpose of what I believed the possession limits were implemented for. I have no idea whether this is legal (maybe different in various states), but was informed that it was "in the regs." that way.

Crossing state lines is another interesting concept on this, especially if two states have the same species and different limits. I've never ran into that scenario, but I would assume that you always have to abide by the strictest possession limit during transport. While I don't necessarily believe that possession limits are stupid, I do tend to believe that some are overkill. For example, this whole conversation came about because of a fishing reg. that stated that the bag and possession limits for a certain fish were identical. Oddly enough, the possession limit itself was completely unenforceable, since there was a different possession limit for lake-caught fish vs. stream-caught fish.

15-Sep-18
Lake vs stream???? LMAO! And yet another example of what happens when politicians write laws!

15-Sep-18
So then, if I can possess 12 squirrels, then I eat those squirrels, can I go out and kill 12 more in two days hunting?

.. . .. .

.. . .. .

Asking for a friend.

;^)

15-Sep-18
Possession limits are based on each state, meaning you can be in possession of the possession limit in one state plus the possession limit in another state without breaking any laws, as long as you took those birds/fish in each state.

Currently I have deer, elk and bighorn sheep in my freezer from two or three different states each. I am therefore 100% in compliance with the laws, even though I cannot take more the one of each in each of those states.

15-Sep-18
Can't I just give em away??? You know, like to Coach for HER freezer.......

15-Sep-18

spike78's Link
Here is the definition.

15-Sep-18
So basically you can have the possession limit in the field or transit but I assume it doesn’t matter what’s in your freezer as you can have game from last year as well.

16-Sep-18
Well there ya go, lots of differing opinions on this. I didn't expect that honestly. I can tell you that some state's laws explicitly state that the possession limits apply to one's home. That does not mean you guys are wrong, as it may not be that way in the state you mention.

Kyle, I certainly understand what you are saying, especially as it pertains to big game. Usually those species require individual tags or licenses. However, for small game and game birds, are you certain that is how things work? I don't know how one would know officially what the law is? Unfortunately, to me there is a lot of discretion left to the game officers because sometimes the clarity in our game laws isn't the best.

From the state that brought about this topic: "Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession."

TD, just put a tag on the game/fish with her name on it. Then there is no problem keeping it in YOUR freezer. ;^) (This may actually be true even.)

16-Sep-18
I used to hunt in two states every year from the time I was 10 years old. I killed deer in both states and never thought about how many deer I could put in the freezer. In Maryland and Delaware you would have had to have a walk in freezer to keep all the deer you were allowed to kill and posses. Squirrels are great in the crock pot but I never get over the possession limit in my freezer because they go in the crock pot when I have enough.

16-Sep-18
Possesion limits are, historically, an attempt to stop commercial hunting, as has been said.

Also as already mentioned, most hunters/fishers don't subsistence hunt or fish and we rarely gobble everything up a couple of weeks after filling daily and possesion limits.

Some states allow long term storage with a carcass tag or storage permit issued by a game office after the license year has expired.

I don't see how exceeding a possesion limit is synonymous with poaching...

17-Sep-18
"Field Possession Limit: It is unlawful on the opening day of a hunting season to 1) possess more than the daily limit; 2) after the second day possess more game than may be legally taken in three days." This is from the Pennsylvania regs about small game and waterfowl. Our rabbit limit is 4 and the possession limit is 12, but the only definition I can find is the "Field Possession Limit" so I would assume that once they are in the freezer, you are good to go. I'd have to check about fish because our fish commission and game commission are separate entities.

17-Sep-18
Well it's obvious that a lot of people don't fully understand this game law and probably others as well. Avoid the ticket by asking the authorities what the answer is for your state and any other states you hunt

I'll give you Texas definitions by example

DOVES

Daily bag limit 15

Procession Limit 45 (That's after three days of hunting) Procession limit is basically travel Limit before final destination

Final Destination (your home, freezer etc). Only limited to total season dates that hunting is allowed. So if you hunted 30 days in the dove season you could have 550 doves in your freezer

Final Destination for deer would be the number of deer you are allowed by law in the county you hunt in

The only caveat to this is if you are given game animals by another licensed hunter or hunters that give it to you WITH a Wildlife Resource Document

Example: three day dove hunt You kill 45 doves (15 a day) You are hunting with 10 other people. They each kill 45 dove Total 450 doves. They don't want their dove. They can each give you their dove with a Wildlife Resource Document

So you are now legal to travel home with 495 dove. Theirs and yours

17-Sep-18
That's a dove shoot I'd LOVE to get on.

I've cleaned over 150 in one evening, but 500? That's going to take a few beers. :-)

17-Sep-18
But the bowsite said I could ;)

17-Sep-18
I often pick doves as I kill them. Real easy to pick. You have to leave feathers on a wing.

17-Sep-18
Joey We live where there are lots of dove. Usual commercial hunt is 20 or more people with all shooting limits. Lots of cleaning

Shuteye we don't pick any birds Great way to do it if you are going to bake. We breast everything. Bacon wrap with jalapeño pepper. We don't have to leave a wing on anymore. That law was to separate white wings and Morning and to be sure that you did not shoot any white tip or Inca doves. I am surprised you have that rule unless you are getting lots of white wing up there

Of course we have no limit or seasons on ring neck or Asian dove

17-Sep-18
RK, back in the 70s when lots of corn, sorghum, and soybeans, we used to have some great shoots. Back then it 18 per hunter. Man , we shot lots of birds. Some fantastic shoots. Would love to get back to those crops and shoots. Doubt I will ever see those again. Hate it because I’d love to get my kids on those shoots.

Shuteye, I do the same on slow shoots. Frying with skin on is my favorite way to cook them. But when I have 50+ to clean, I just breast them out and wrap with bacon, stuff with cream cheese and jalapeño, and grill.

Great for SEC ballgames. And you know we love those SEC football games. No matter how old or boring they get. :-)

18-Sep-18
"Once back home in the freezer, you are good to go out again"

Not in Minnesota! They're anti-fish-fry here!!!

18-Sep-18
Know your individual State regulations, gentlemen, and spare yourself a potential ticket.

In Colorado, any fish that is canned, frozen, or otherwise preserved for consumption is considered "in possession" until it is consumed.. "In possession" also applies to fish that are kept alive in a live well, or stringer, for the purpose of potentially replacing them with bigger fish later.

For big game in Colorado, "in possession" only applies to the year in which the animal was legally harvested. In other words, the remaining portions of last year's elk in your freezer DON'T count as "in possession" for this year.

Matt

18-Sep-18
Possession limits are to keep very successful hunters from putting too much stress on the resourse.

I had a CO tell me once that "bag limits" were what you killed that day and that "possession limits" were what was in your truck/camp/etc (in this case, a multi-day boat charter), not what was in your freezer at home. This was after an ocean charter in CA. He explained that you could take more, but on any one trip, they better not catch you with more than your possession limit in the truck or boat on the way home.

In fact, California has a rule whereas if you're going to be out to sea for more than two days (possession limit is usually bag limit X 2), you can go to the local fish and game office before you leave, submit a trip plan with your port of entry, exit, and planned days out, and they'll expand your possession limit.

18-Sep-18
If anything this thread clearly demonstrates that every state has its own rules pertaining to bag and possession. Note how Colorado's fish possession rules differ from CA's.

Read your regs, guys.

Matt

18-Sep-18
I never did do well on math word problems.......

"If you're on a train traveling east bound at 60 MPH with 3 doves and a coot, will you be over your 3 day possession limit if it doesn't rain on Tuesday?"

18-Sep-18
"If you're on a train traveling east bound at 60 MPH with 3 doves and a coot, will you be over your 3 day possession limit if it doesn't rain on Tuesday?"

Yes.

;-)

Matt

18-Sep-18
OOOPS!!! I'd better get the coot et!

19-Sep-18
Doves are migratory birds, so you better know what the feds say about possession limits.

A quick search didn't provide an obvious concrete answer, but it appears that the maximum possession limit is three daily limits for all migratory birds. Though it never said specifically the home, I did find this:

"Unless specified otherwise, the possession limit is one daily bag limit for anyone who has hunted for one day. The possession limit increases to two daily bag limits for anyone who has hunted for two days. The possession limit increases to three daily bag limits for anyone who has hunted for three days. No one may possess more than three daily bag limits at any time."

19-Sep-18
Is there an "app" for keeping all that math straight? I never thought I'd need a calculator to hunting!

If want to make it REALLY complicated, imagine combining all of this with the point system for waterfowl....YIKES!!!!!!

19-Sep-18
I agree with Grey Ghost on this one. It would definitely be nice if states could all be more consistent on the terminology at least... but that's a definite 1st-world-ish problem.

19-Sep-18
No better advice than learn your state laws and if you travel know that states laws

WW. I don't think point system for ducks is still used. It is not in Texas. Just bag limits for each kind per day

I still run into people that think a Game Warden can just come into your house and search it without a warrant

29-Sep-18
When i was going through the new hunting regulations for the year, I decided to look into the possession limit portion. Based on the written regulation from my state below, it appears Illinois allows you to possess as much game as you want in your home, as long as you have donated it to someone else. This is either a case of a really poorly written law, or a pointless one, or both. Then there is the workaround for transport as well.

"It is unlawful to receive or have in custody any protected game belonging to another person, except in the personal abodes of the donor or donee, unless such protected species are tagged with the hunter’s name and address, the total number of individuals by species and the date such species were harvested."

In full disclosure, I've never really looked into this all that thoroughly, because I've always believed in the strict interpretation of the possession law. Thus I've never tried to possess more than the stated number for a species. Add that to the fact that I don't do a lot of small game hunting, and realistically in my hunting career, there has hardly been enough game to even worry about it. I just thought I'd bring this up to add to the previous discussion.

• Sitka Gear