Hawkarcher 20-Sep-18
Kevin @ Wisconsin 20-Sep-18
JL 20-Sep-18
Hawkarcher 20-Sep-18
JL 20-Sep-18
Mike the Carpenter 20-Sep-18
slade 20-Sep-18
19-Sep-18
Now that I am retired, I am thinking that it could be interesting to learn to grill and smoke.

Years ago, I had a small smoker and we enjoyed the food, but there are much more convenient devices now available.

Many on here have years of experience in this realm, so I would love to learn whatever you have to share.

We currently have a small gas-fired grill. We have had it for 7 or 8 years and I have never used it. My wife uses it occasionally because she likes the flavor of food cooked on it.

I have a lot to learn.

19-Sep-18
I've done quite a bit of smoking with different things. There is alot of ways to do it.....it's mostly preference and experience (ie...trial and error) IMO. I use two meat thermometers. One dial, one digital to cross-check each other. I also recently started placing my pork butts and whole chicken in an aluminum foil "bag" or "bowl" to keep the natural juices in the meat as it smokes. I keep the top half of the butt or chicken exposed to allow the smoke to seep into the meat. So far, this works well and keeps the meat tender and moist. I also smoked meat loafs.....those are fantastic....if you like meat loaf or meat loaf sandwiches. Mesquite, oak and hickory seem to offer a good smell. I didn't care for apple. There's alot of smoked salmon recipes online. I like a sweet-smoked flavor with a touch of spice. The thing there is keep equal size/thickness pieces of fish together thru the smoking process. Other wise the thin pieces will dry out while the thicker pieces are still smoking. If that happens....you can make some smoked salmon dip with the dried out pieces to salvage them. Chives and garlic cream cheese works good for the dip.

19-Sep-18
Good God, Henry, 7-8 years? My wife and I grill more than we cook indoors, especially in the warmer months.

Where to start.....For grilling, traditionalists will tell you that real charcoal is the only way. I was one of "those" guys for years, too, until I got a gas grill. Gas is so much more convenient, cleaner, and quicker, I never use charcoal any more. Once a gas grill gets well "seasoned", I don't find any flavor difference between the two.

As for grilling methods, generally speaking hotter and faster is better for most steaks and burgers. We like a nice crusty, bordering on burnt, exterior with a juicy slightly rare interior. My wife likes hers slightly more well done than I do. My rule of thumb for your typical 1"-1.5" thick steaks is 4 minutes per side at 450-500 degrees. Add a minute for each additional .5" of steak thickness, and reduce the heat 25-50 degrees. That prevents burning the outside while allowing time for the inside to cook thoroughly on the thicker cuts.

There are so many different foods, and various ways to cook them on a grill, that it would be impossible to touch on all of it, here. My suggestion is to buy a few grilling only recipe books and start trying out the recipes that sound good to you and your family.

As for smoking, others here have more experience than I do. I'll look forward to reading their advice with you.

Matt

19-Sep-18
You want entry level simplicity? If so, get yourself an electric smoker (little oven) that inserts wood at preset intervals.

You want to constantly monitor temps, adjust lower vents (you NEVER adjust the top from 100% open), add smoke when you want to? Get yourself a charcoal smoker.

You want to pull out your hair have an awesome time, and be 100% involved in the ENTIRE smoking process and be prepared to ruin a lot of meat or change the way you like your food? Build your own.

I’ve done all 3 ways, and settled on the Weber Smokey Mountain 22” charcoal smoker. It does exactly what I want, and everyone enjoys the meals that come off of it. Wanna really impress your company, smoke some sweet potatoes with ribs. Simple and amazing. They will be wanting to come over every weekend, so make sure they are good friends before you cook it for them.

If there is one thing I cannot recommend enough, it is a good reliable thermometer. There are LOTS of options out there. I use the iGrill 2 Bluetooth thermometer. This way I can monitor up to 4 different probes at the same time, and it is all on my iPad screen. Even got my wife one for the inside oven, and now chicken breasts are not dry (read that as over cooked), and same for roasts. With a proper thermometer, you know what is going on at all times inside the meat, and at the cooking level.

As for grilling, hands down, it’s a Weber for me. I’ve had the same one for 10-12years now. Just replaced the flavor bars this past spring, and gave it a deep cleaning. That’s it for the maintenance I’ve done to it. Fires up every time I go out, as long as there is propane in the tank (who hasn’t been there before? Be honest).

A subject I can give a good bit of advice on. Any questions, please ask. I love to talk (read that as DO) smoking/cooking.

19-Sep-18
Sam's Club had a huge selection of smokers and grills from inexpensive to top dollar. Some are really neat. The sell all the stuff you need to smoke or grill. My grandson has his smoker going almost all the time. He is parts manager for a John Deer dealership and he takes all kinds of smoked meat to the gang every once in a while and they love it. I go to his house to enjoy pork and beef once in a while and it is really good. I switched to a propane grill a few years ago and I like it a lot better than fooling with charcoal. I do meat, vegetables and fish on mine.

19-Sep-18
For ease of grilling, nothing beats a gas grill. But to me it's a one-trick pony more or less - just a way to grill meat efficiently if I'm looking for a healthier cooking method.

If you want to get into smoking, from a simplicity standpoint an electric smoker is the way to go. You don't have to fuss much with controlling temperature and can get the hang of smoking meat fairly easily.

From a versatility standpoint, I love my Green Egg. You can get temperatures way hotter than a typical gas or Weber grill in my experience (700-800 deg+), which is great for things like putting a sear on a steak or doing a pizza. But you can also set it to cook at 200-225 degrees for cooking low and slow. When coupled with a controller like the Rock's BBQ Stoker you can dial in the temperature, set-it, and forget it for those long smokes.

19-Sep-18

mn_archer's embedded Photo
Dont get an electric smoker, they really suck. I've had half a dozen over the years and none were very good.

We grill and smoke a lot of meat at my house- hundreds of lbs every year. Just last friday I smoked up 7 wild boar quarters.

I have 2 words for you that will have your friends thinking you're a meat guru-

pellet smoker...

19-Sep-18

19-Sep-18

butter bath chicken thighs will get you lots of unwanted company though...

19-Sep-18
I have a Brinkman barrel type smoker,small and convinent.In Az. they sell 50lb. bags of lump Mesquite charcoal for $12,good stuff and very hot.I've had it for 30+yrs. Only problem was a whole chicken with no water/cooling pan above the lump charcoal.Burned all the wood handles off,and even got so hot as to burn the high temp. paint off!Took a long time to re-sand,paint and replace all the hardware.(probably cheaper to buy new).

19-Sep-18
""pellet smoker...""

My Brother in law has a Traeger pellet grill and he swears by it. It does cook up a nice brisket. The're pricey at $800.

19-Sep-18
Mn-Archer, that is what my grandson uses, a pellet smoker and he swears by it. I do to since I like the stuff he smokes.

19-Sep-18
Check out amazing ribs.com lots of good advice there. Electric smokers aren't as traditional. But they sure are convenient. They can put out a pretty good product if you know what hat you are doing.

Experiment a lot and write everything down from prep notes to times and temps. You'll get better and better over time.

19-Sep-18
Ace. one tip with the electric smoker's when it gets cool out wrap them in cardboard. they will hold temp much better

if you guys are on facebook smoking low and slow is a good group

19-Sep-18
I'm grill/smoker poor (or maybe rich)

I currently have the following, and each has their advantages:

Gas grill- Mister Steak brand (3 regular burners, 1 infrared burner, 1 side burner) Nice to have when I want a quick flame. Grilled vegetable kabobs yesterday, marinated in Italian dressing, sprinkled with steak seasoning.

Pellet grill - Teeton brand (parts are interchangeable w/Traeger) This thing excels with chicken and pork ribs.

Electric smoker - Bradley 6 rack Use this for brisket (20 hours, gets great smoke ring) and home cured bacon slabs.

Big Green Egg - XL size Kids bought this for me for Christmas last year, it is amazing, cooks anything extremely well. Has a bit of a learning curve, and takes time to get to high heat. I love pizza made from scratch (crust & toppings), especially deep dish in a 12" cast iron skillet.

Homemade whole hog/deer smoker - made from 300 gal fuel tank

I always use lump charcoal vs briquettes.

Be very careful..................it's extremely addictive. I plan to add a covered area to my deck next spring to get everything under one roof.

19-Sep-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Pork butt shoulder
Pork butt shoulder
Smoked fatty
Smoked fatty
Shrimp too!
Shrimp too!
I had a gas grill forever, but when my last one died in January I replaced it with a traeger pellet grill.

I really like the traeger. In the few months I've had it I've smoked a lot of meat. I have the pro 34 and the digital controls make the whole process pretty simple.

The cons of the traeger-. I can only get it up to the low 430's. To low imho to sear meat properly . The traeger does low and slow very well, but not hot and fast.

Someone else posted grilling is addicting. They are right. I've been researching for another grill to sear at high temps and do high temp pizzas. I looked at the BGE, kamado Joe and the Weber summit. I'm probably going to buy a kamado Joe next year.

I was talking about buying a new grill and my wife's response was perhaps you should only buy one one-thousand dollar grill a year. Makes sense to me.

19-Sep-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
Amazing Ribs website at the link.

Get a really good thermometer, preferably an instant read one. This is what I use. Experiment a lot, and have fun with it.

20-Sep-18
No pellet grill can compare to a quality electric smoker oven like a cookshack and why they are not allowed in competitions.

I know people who make an insulated box for the big chief and it does ok.

The kamado pots make the best smoked turkey.

20-Sep-18
slade, I entered my first rib contest and showed up we with my lousiana grill still wrapped in factory plastic many years back. Everyone laughed at me and my son. We won that contest easily. We then entered 2 more rings tourneys and won them both-each with around 50 competitions.

havent had time to enter anymore but go to several rib fests every year and see many guys running pellet grills.

I'd put my pellet grill up against any electric smoker- any day

20-Sep-18
check out t roy grills on you tube, he is a character.

20-Sep-18
I got a lower end pellet grill a couple years ago, best grilled food I've ever had and some of the best smoked meats I've ever had too. I work with a long-time smoker and they love the smoked meat I bring in to work.

20-Sep-18
Have 3 grills/smokers, each has it's own purpose:

1) 10 plus year old Phoenix gas grill with stainless expanded metal grill. Use for everyday grilling. Can grill vegetables directly on the expanded metal grill surface. Use for steaks, as I grill those high temp (550).

2) Green mountain pellet grill. Use this for smoking smaller quantities of meat such as ribs, pork shoulder, whole chicken. It has an app for my phone where I can program time and temp. Has temp probes for the oven and the meat. This is the newest one of the 3, but so far really like it.

3) Smoker kit from "The Sausage Maker". This is a gas kit that we put into an old style fridge (door has a latch). Has an external smoke generator (think cold smoking) and thermostatically control gas burner. I have since modified it to add a thermostatically controlled electric burner (works great when warm outside). I use this for large quantities of meat, like when we process deer for summer sausage, ring bologna, snack sticks, etc. It will handle 25 - 30 lb batches.

20-Sep-18
What times dinner, Kevin?!?!

20-Sep-18

5:30! I think I am going to spatchcock a chicken on the traeger tonight.

Here is a pick of the leg quarters from the turkey I killed this spring. I smoked them for several hours and then braised them for three hours. I always read how people hate turkey legs because they're so tough. These were flavorful and tender.

20-Sep-18

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I have a traegar pellet grill/smoker. For smoking it’s ideal, just set it and not much to do. For grilling it’s less than ideal as I rarely get it above 410 degrees. I would like something hotter for steaks but it cooks them fine the way it is. Here’s a pork loin and some baby backs. My ribs are top shelf, my loin while juicy lacks flavor.

20-Sep-18
""I'd put my pellet grill up against any electric smoker- any day"" and you would lose without your rubs/brine's etc...

You can not control the smoke of a pellet grill like you can with a cookshack smoker/oven, it's not even close.

Yesterday a smoked a pork butt for a couple hours with 1 ounce of cherry for flavoring before I put it in the pressure cooker...mmmmmmmmmgood

20-Sep-18
There is something to be said about learning to smoke something the hard way. I have a basic barrel style grill/smoker, and am as novice as they come really. It is something that takes a time commitment, that is for sure. Don't ever try to use your smoking wood as your sole source of heat; don't ask me how I know. ;^) It sure feels like more of an accomplishment if you can tend a smoker for a good part of the day and turn out some tasty results. Setting a temp. and walking away, not so much. However, when the tradeoff is great tasting food without the pain in the rear, it is hard to resist the "easy" path. It kind of depends on what you want out of it.

For simple grilling, I like gas. Not a snowball's chance I could look a man straight-faced and say the flavor is the same as charcoal, but for the convenience of volume grilling LP is the ticket. I grill probably 3-5 times a week in summer and once or twice a week in winter. Nobody with a life is doing that with charcoal.

20-Sep-18
we will definitely agree to disagree Slade. I've had a pile of electric smokers including the biscuit feeders and none if them were capable of producing the quality of foods that my Lousiana grill does.

Yes they are much more expensive and I've got over $1200 or so into this one with my cold smoker attachment, but well worth it. If I want to smoke at 225 degrees I punch it into the keypad and walk away. It won't fluctuate from 225 more than a degree or two.

there is a great selection of different types of wood available and if I want to keep it economical I can run hardwood home heating pellets at $4 per 40 pounds.

The other thing is versatility. I smoked ribs and pork butts last year at 20 below zero. I've not seen an electric that can produce heat in any real amounts without insulating and shielding them in even mildly cool weather.

Pellet grills are the crossbows of the grilling world.

20-Sep-18
I am going to buy a Pit Boss pellet smoker this weekend. It's 700 sq in of rack space. Looks just like the Traeger and has 2 thermometers. It's under 400.00 and seems to be well made.

20-Sep-18
BBQ pit boys have some great videos and recipies, I love watching them and use their ideas.

20-Sep-18
I an listening and gathering information. Keep the input coming.

20-Sep-18
Mesquite lump charcoal combined with an offset smoker. Truly the Ne Plus Ultra for all you Latin speakers.

20-Sep-18
Do not take any advice from anyone who has to plug there grill :)

20-Sep-18
I have I Big Chief which I only use to smoke salmon. Have a heavy steel one with a side box that I can fit quite a few racks of ribs or a few pork butts. Hard to keep it at temp for more than six hours but I’ve read after two or three hours the meat won’t take any more smoke anyway. So with bigger chunks of meat I snoke them awhile then wrap in foil or butcher paper and finish on the gas grill or in the oven.

20-Sep-18

Hawkarcher's Link
Relatively quick and one of my favorite recipes. I finish them on the grill to get them crispy.

20-Sep-18

This would be fun if you need a steak in the next two minutes.

20-Sep-18

JL's Link
Being a Debbie downer......

20-Sep-18
Heck JL between you and Will with the alcoholism thread I’m questioning my hobbies. Plus now I’m unsure I’m a real man.

20-Sep-18
Ha....I've heard of the charcoal thing before. I did give up eating burnt chicken off the grill.

20-Sep-18
All the “Fun Police” stuff just sounds like a good reason to make more bacon.

20-Sep-18
Great vidro Kevin, it is a version of a salamander grill, that restaurants use. The benefit is the heat source is on the top.

• Sitka Gear