gflight 05-Oct-18
BIG BEAR 05-Oct-18
HA/KS 05-Oct-18
BIG BEAR 06-Oct-18
'Ike' (Phone) 06-Oct-18
BIG BEAR 08-Oct-18
BIG BEAR 08-Oct-18
03-Oct-18
This country is on the brink of exploding. Politicians on both sides do nothing more than drive us apart.

In my almost 45 years I'm not sure there has been a more decisive time

Michael

03-Oct-18
Fox news reported 3 county deputies and 2 city officers shot and still an active shooter

03-Oct-18

tonyo6302's Link
Let me assist . . . . .

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-carolina-shooting-injures-3-deputies-2-officers-reports-say

03-Oct-18

mn_archer's Link
Fox news reported 3 county deputies and 2 city officers shot and still an active shooter

03-Oct-18
More of Obama's legacy....

03-Oct-18
I agree Slade. Welcome to obama's new America.

03-Oct-18
Prayers for all involved!

God Bless and keep or LEO's in your mighty hands!

03-Oct-18
Sounds like they were executing a search warrant....

03-Oct-18
Horrible!

03-Oct-18
Seven (7) total shot, one fatal...https://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/481625006-Officer-killed-6-other-LEOs-wounded-in-SC/

03-Oct-18
according to the left all the shooter needs is a hug and a job.

03-Oct-18
Prayers sent.

I don't know why anyone would seek a career in LE today.

04-Oct-18

mn_archer's Link
leave it to CNN. 7 officers and 1 bystander shot, 1 officer killed and they reported that its unclear if hes going to be facing any charges...

wtf, how can they be so stupid? Michael

04-Oct-18
Calls for gun control in 3...2....1.....

04-Oct-18
I saw that too Mike..... unreal.

04-Oct-18
Terrence Carraway....... 30 year veteran of the Florence Police Department....... Rest In Peace my brother..........

04-Oct-18
The suspect is a 74 year old Vietnam Veteran and a disbarred attorney...............Frederick Hopkins.

His Facebook posts claim he was the South Carolina 3 gun silhouette champion in 2011.

04-Oct-18
"leave it to CNN. 7 officers and 1 bystander shot, 1 officer killed and they reported that its unclear if hes going to be facing any charges..."

I have to ask....was it a No Knock warrant?

"FLORENCE, SC — A suspect arrested after one Florence police officer was killed and six more were wounded still has not been charged, according to Richland County Leon Lott, whose department has been asked to investigate the shooting."

Seem weird there are no charges yet?

04-Oct-18
Why are you asking that Gerald ???

04-Oct-18
Yes. The reports are that the search warrant was regarding sexual assault by a 27 year old suspect in the home.....

Hopkins reportedly shot Officers as far away as 300 yards from his barricaded position....... In a 2 hour standoff and firefight.......

04-Oct-18
Sometimes with as many victims and such, it takes a bit for reports and such to get to the DA...He’ll be charged!

05-Oct-18
I am asking questions to reveal facts, not just feeling based biased accusations.

Is there a link to the early alert on the warrant? We're they looking for the Son and he wasn't home maybe?

Not being charged yet, disabled Vietnam vet 72 years old, member of the shooting community, I am witholding judgement until the investigation is conducted.

You guys should know by now I judge each case rather than to blindly defend my team.

Whether it's Eric Garner or Tray von Martin I want to see evidence.

05-Oct-18
Florence county and city officers involved and Richland county officers are investigating. Is this normal for such an incident.

05-Oct-18
If he was a three gun champion Vietnam vet is it not possible he accidentally killed the one officer and was only trying to wound his attackers to get them to stand down? Could his PTSD have been triggered? Will that be his defense? Disorderly a few year back and dogs that get free apparently makes him a career criminal according to the MSM...

05-Oct-18
Initially, with that many cops hit, I knew there was more to the story. Your average thug usually doesn't have the skill with guns to take down that many cops on his own.

05-Oct-18
Sorry gflight, but police tell you to surrender, you comply. Take it to court, not a cemetary. The police are just doing their jobs, executing a search warrant that courts approved.

We want to always blame liberals, but some of this is the anti-government mind set coming from the other side IMHO.

If the guy suffered from PTSD, that's not an excuse. I am ok with removing guns until their mental health is stabilized. Yes, I know all the slippery slope arguments, but a man lost his life and his family pays the price.

05-Oct-18
Accidentally killed one of the Officers ????? So it’s possibly second degree murder Gerald,, Instead of first ??? Or he’s insane (I’m certain that will be his defense).........

None of that matters right now to the family of the dead Police Officer.

05-Oct-18
Blindly defend my team ??? I’d imagine that you would withhold judgement before blindly defending the Marines too,, Eh Gerald ??

05-Oct-18
BB,

Heck yea I would withhold judgement on Marines.

U.S. Army, because even Marines need Heroes.....;^)

HfW,

When did they tell him to surrender? Do you have a link? TB said "LE notified the home owner in advance", I am looking for evidence for this?

If you attack a Disabled Vietnam vet, who cares for foster kids who used his M14 to kill VC, without warning what do you think could happen? Why do you think Liberals are so afraid of these "Veterans" owning guns.

Neighbors in the affluent neighborhood are saying they were good people. Not passing the sniff test for me.

05-Oct-18
Since people seem to be speculating what the cops did or didn't do. Allow me to speculate from the other perspective .....

If someone is breaking into my house, I shoot one, then find out its cops, surrendering at that high escalation point would probably mean my death in my mind. Wounding a few to back them off so we can talk it out could be the best option. Arranging to have an outside department investigate as well could be a demand I would make before surrendering.

05-Oct-18
Next, gflight will tell us he was just “standing his ground”.

I think it’s far fetched to think this nutcase was trying to get LEOs to “stand down” from 300 yards away.

Matt

05-Oct-18
"wounding a few to back them off sou you can talk is the best option..."

October 5th, 2018 is officially the day of the stupidest thing ever uttered by any human- ever.

michael

05-Oct-18
No one should die in the execution of a search warrant..... even a high risk no knock one. Officers are clearly marked Police and verbally announce that they’re the Police.

05-Oct-18
Agreed Michael.........

05-Oct-18
Your honor I knew they were cops but I was afraid they were going to hurt me so I shot a few more to back them off so we could chat...

lol say hello to the electric chair for me

05-Oct-18
Not sure a stand your ground law would apply or if SC even has one. It would probably be a stretch but he may say he was in fear the ones at a distance were trying to snipe him, thus take his life.

More likely I would think he went back to Vietnam in his head and was simply neutralizing the threat. Kinda like the first Rambo movie, maybe they got Troutman in there to talk him down?

05-Oct-18
"Boone said investigators from Richland County would help investigate the shooting. He did not say why he wasn't using state police like most law enforcement agencies do in officer shootings in South Carolina."

Bring in the state police Boone you are making people think conspiracy.....

"Authorities said the shootings happened in Vintage Place, an upscale neighborhood west of the city. Neighbors said the community is full of brick homes and well-kept yards. Property records show several houses valued at more than $400,000."

"Surprised is probably an understatement," Goin said of the shooting in the neighborhood where he has lived for 20 years. "The worst thing that goes on around here is that someone runs a stop sign and it gets posted on Facebook."

"the gunman is hospitalized with a head injury after ""falling"" at the scene and is unable to speak with officers."

This should be an interesting case......

05-Oct-18
Based on what I've read, the police were serving a warrant for child sexual assault accusations. I'm betting the shooter didn't agree with the accusations or warrant, and just flipped out.

Matt

05-Oct-18
Some people will do stuff to protect their kids. None of the reports have said anything as to the Son, whether in custody or at large or whether he was in the home.

05-Oct-18

gflight's Link
More information coming out....

05-Oct-18
Gflight,

I'm curious as to why you are so clearly seeking a justification for a cop killer.

he shot 7 police officers and killed 1. there is no good reason for his actions.

He was still shooting 2 hours after the initial encounter. Was he still trying to move them back??

05-Oct-18
Michael,

Gflight seems to side with the "Barney Fifes" of the world. He claims he's just being objective, but I'm not convinced.

You may recall the Florida "stand your ground" shooting a few months ago. Gflight defended the shooter vigorously, despite clear video evidence showing that his actions weren't necessary. The shooter was eventually charged with manslaughter and is pending trial, now.

Matt

05-Oct-18
I'm getting so damn sick of all these cop shootings........this is Obama's legacy, a field of blue covered with blood.

05-Oct-18

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Having a tough time with this one. Drugs in his system, knife in hand, trained to keep shooting, but it also seems the officer's story did not match dash cam video.

05-Oct-18
MnA,

Why post a thread on a discussion board when you don't want to hear alternate viewpoints.

Analysis, synthesis, and evaluation are important to critical thought. I am not one to jump on the "team train" and you guys should know that after 23 years....

GG,

Really? Get over it. We beat that horse to death, without having new information your just whining. We can bring it back up when he is exonerated or the witness's of previous threats are proved credible.....

05-Oct-18
The officer in the Chicago case is similar to "Barney Fife" fear took over. In his case too many rounds sealed his fate and its a shame....

05-Oct-18
You are probably correct gflight, but if that is their training I don't see how you can convict.

I bet the officers could tell he was on drugs. How do you let a guy walk away with a knife and high? What about the public's safety. Tough call, murder seems excessive to me. But I am just a civilian.

05-Oct-18
alternative viewpoints? like the cops had it coming??

05-Oct-18
asking hard questions that may not jive with your feelings is part of intellectual and emotional growth. We should all strive to not be like Democrats....

05-Oct-18
Ha !!! That’s a good one !!! You’re being just like them ....... Trying to do everything you can to deflect the responsibility away from the man that just killed a Police Officer..... I have nothing further to discuss with you.

05-Oct-18
I think it will turn out that he knew they were coming and pre-meditated a violent response to a legal police action.

06-Oct-18
On Friday October 5th, Frederick Hopkins was charged with one count of murder and six counts of attempted murder according to the Richland Co. Sheriff’s Office.

06-Oct-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Yeah, he was us trying to keep officers back...SMH

The decorated Vietnam War veteran had set an ambush for investigators coming to question his adult son about a child sexual assault, Lott said.

Hopkins was hospitalized after he was taken into custody Wednesday, but was taken to jail Friday, Lott said.

Florence County investigators had called Hopkins' home and arranged to speak to his 28-year-old son, Seth Hopkins, about a sex assault investigation Wednesday afternoon, Lott said, adding that they had a search warrant. Officials had previously given the son's age as 27.

08-Oct-18
I just had a big ass pucker at work with another distraught veteran....... Who was contemplating suicide by cop with a big butcher knife...... about 12 cops showed up and had him at gunpoint and I was certain this was going to end bad when he kept creeping at us with that knife clutched in his hand refusing to drop it.... he took off his dog tags and said he wouldn’t need them anymore......

I was able to talk him down after 5 minutes or so and get him to drop the knife. Thanks be to God.

08-Oct-18
Yes, and thanks be to you Chris! Let the press know, please.

08-Oct-18
I shouldn’t even be posting anything here about it Frank without permission from my department..... thankfully nothing happened. Peace.

• Sitka Gear